Problems loading Kongregate site in Chrome

8 posts

Flag Post

Lately (past 2-3 days), I’ve been having quite a few troubles loading webpages from Kongregate.com. I would say about half the time it works, and half the time, it just never loads. The error I get (in Chrome) is:

Error 118 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT): The operation timed out.

Sometimes, the page will load, but not the game. if the game has loaded, and I try to access the high scores tab, it also may or may not load. Forum pages are also affected, it seems anything from the www.kongregate.com domain.

I tried a ping test, and I don’t see any dropped packets.

$ ping www.kongregate.com -n 30

Pinging www.kongregate.com [75.98.92.205] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 75.98.92.205:
Packets: Sent = 30, Received = 30, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 40ms, Average = 20ms

Note: I am NOT having this problem: constant chat disconnects. Chat stays connected and is fine. High scores also submit reliably. It’s only when I need to GET pages from the Kong site where I’m having issues.

For some reason, it seems to affect Chrome a lot more than Firefox. In Firefox, it’s working 95% of the time. I’m typing this from Firefox now.

This may or may not be related to when I moved my furniture around (including the stand where my router/cable modem rests) on Wednesday. But that doesn’t make sense to me. (I have tried rebooting my router anyway).

Browser: Chrome Version 25.0.1364.172 m
OS: Windows 7 64-bit
ISP: Comcast
Router: Linksys WRT54G with Tomato firmware

 
Flag Post

Clear them cookies perhaps. “Delete Domain Cookies” if you have Chrome Dev tools installed.

 
Flag Post

Chrome Version 25.0.1364.172 m is only a week old (I think). Maybe there was a problem with the update.

 
Flag Post

@UG: I tried Incognito Mode (which should ignore cookies), and the problem was still there. I think the problem is much more basic.

So I did a packet dump with Wireshark.

In the successful case, my computer sends a TCP SYN packet to Kongregate, and it receives a TCP SYN/ACK. Then it happily goes on to do the HTTP/1.1 GET requests, and the webpage loads.

In the failure case, it sends out a SYN but never gets an ACK back. The browser appears to re-send the SYN several times over a short period of time, but never gets a response to any of them, eventually showing me the “timeout” error message. HTTP is never even started.

The difference between Chrome and Firefox is simply that Firefox tries harder in the error case. Chrome sends 6 SYN packets over 10 seconds trying 2 different outgoing ports before giving up. In one case, I saw Firefox send out 14 SYNs over 42 seconds and 5 different ports – on the final try, it used the 5th port and it worked.

So basically my TCP connection to Kongregate is failing periodically, but I still don’t know why. :/

Edit: The problem is seen in two computers both connected to the same wifi router. When I connect via a work VPN, there is no problem.

 
Flag Post

Looks like it’s happening to other sites as well, not just Kongregate. So the problem must be on my end… Maybe time to call up Comcast…

 
Flag Post

Try Firefox/IE, if Kongregate still doesn’t work then it’s your ISP’s fault.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by monsterjamp:

Try Firefox/IE, if Kongregate still doesn’t work then it’s your ISP’s fault.

He has already come to that conclusion.

Originally posted by zAlbee:

The difference between Chrome and Firefox is simply that Firefox tries harder in the error case. Chrome sends 6 SYN packets over 10 seconds trying 2 different outgoing ports before giving up. In one case, I saw Firefox send out 14 SYNs over 42 seconds and 5 different ports – on the final try, it used the 5th port and it worked.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by IceWeaselX:
Originally posted by monsterjamp:

Try Firefox/IE, if Kongregate still doesn’t work then it’s your ISP’s fault.

He has already come to that conclusion.

Originally posted by zAlbee:

The difference between Chrome and Firefox is simply that Firefox tries harder in the error case. Chrome sends 6 SYN packets over 10 seconds trying 2 different outgoing ports before giving up. In one case, I saw Firefox send out 14 SYNs over 42 seconds and 5 different ports – on the final try, it used the 5th port and it worked.

Sorry I missed that post (:D).

It probably has something do with your ISP then.