Kongregate causing 100% CPU load

38 posts

Flag Post

Starting today, all dynamic items used to load certain sections of the Kongregate website have become complete unusable for my main browser: Opera 12.16 (which is still fully supported and updated by Opera btw).

The load times are through the roof, the front page takes over 1 minute to load, all the while using 100% cpu, the trending/recommended games/badges sections are causing the extreme slowdown and none of the other items are usable either as a result. The login-username-section also takes a long time to load, on any page but the front page it takes about 5s for this to load, on the font page this part does not load at all either until the trending etc. is loaded.

As I haven’t changed anything on my browser and every other website I visit functions the same way it always has, with good speed, my ISP is also providing me with the subscribed speed and if I use Chrome the issue does not occur, I can only presume some change has been made this last day on something related to these parts of the website causing a complete incompatibility with a default Opera 12.16 install (the issue even occurs when I’m not logged in on a completely default Opera install on an admittedly ancient windows xp sp3 installation).

I (and a select few others also using Opera 12.16, with whom I have not yet confirmed the issue, but I’m assuming they’re bothered by it as well) would be most appreciative, if you could make some performance/standards compliant changes so I can continue using my preferred browser with your website. As is, I can use it, but user friendly is something altogether different.

I understand Opera 12 is not on your priority list of things to support, but I’m pretty sure any change you make to speed up whatever is causing the issue will benefit other browsers as well, or at least not hamper them.

This is a new issue from today, it has always worked perfectly acceptable before.

Flag Post

The problem seems to be situated in this area:

Each vertical division represents 10s btw.
Notice the massive timeout above trending_pod_feed_items, that’s when the 100% cpu occurs.

If I had to hazard a guess, I’m fairly certain something that’s happening in these files:

http://cdn4.kongcdn.com/compiled-assets/sitewide_async_javascripts-1d81e89841d454375af66e85803e1ee3.js
http://cdn4.kongcdn.com/compiled-assets/tr8n/tr8n-compiled-7aef91bcb7352697981e039684848148.js

is what’s causing the problems.

If I block “http://cdn4.kongcdn.com/compiled-assets/sitewide_async_javascripts-1d81e89841d454375af66e85803e1ee3.js”;, the whole site stops working, if I block the other one, the site works just as fast as I’m used to, no more minute long loading times on the front page, however, I can no longer access my profile, as the login-username-section doesn’t load. Hence my conclusion something going on in those is wreaking havoc on compatibility.

Flag Post

Opera 12.16 user here – I can confirm this behavior.

Flag Post

I noticed a heavy CPU load too using Opera 12.11 yesterday. Front page takes ages to load.

Flag Post

I can say, that as a workaround, I have currently changed my bookmark from “kongregate.com” to “kongregate.com/top-rated-games?sort=newest”.

This bypasses the biggest issue, the front page taking forever to load. It still causes slowdowns for the login-username-area, but as a workaround 5-10s is manageable, over 1 minute certainly was not. It’s kind of sad that the front page has become completely unusable, however, the top rated recent games was basically the only thing strictly front page that I was using there anyway and everything else is accessible from menus on which I no longer have to wait over a minute to access.

Nonetheless, I do hope this will get tracked down and fixed.

Flag Post

Same for me.
Every page I load takes ages before it becomes responsive, as if it was still loading. After a minute or so everything becomes normal again, but this is seriously annoying if you just want to browse the site. This makes using the forums a real pain in the butt.
On Firefox everything seems to run just fine, but since the latest maintenance Kongregate and Opera just don’t get along anymore.

Flag Post

Opera 12.16 is the browser of my choice. Since less than a day, the mainpage is completely unusable for me, it looks like this and it freezes Opera, sometimes for a minute, sometimes longer and sometimes completely crashes my browser.
The forums page also freezes a few seconds before it loads.
Currently have to load the games I play by pulling the links out of the browser history.

Flag Post

Same here with opera 12.16. Won’t change browsers for this.

Flag Post

Isn’t the latest version of Opera 16 (http://www.opera.com/docs/history/)? If you’re still having issues after you have upgraded to that let us know.

Flag Post

Opera 12.16 is the latest version in that branch, it is fully supported until Opera has finished porting all their features to the Blink based version.

The idea behind the new version was to release it asap and finish porting the features slowly over time. Most Opera enthusiast are still using Opera 12.16 (or the developer version of Opera 16 or 17) as a result, simply because the latest ‘stable’ version is in every aspect worse than either the legacy version or the standard Blink based Chrome.

Opera 15+ is atm not much more than a shell around Chrome. In fact, I would recommend anyone using Opera atm, to either use Opera 12.16 or the latest Chrome version.

Originally posted by Opera Desktop Team:

We are starting the summer season in a good mood today. While we are still working on the 12.16 version, which you should expect really soon, we have released the stable version of all-new Opera 15 for Windows and Mac. I’ll get back to 12.x later in this post, but for now let me focus on the great new release we have today.
We have neither asked nor forced our 12.x users to upgrade to Opera 15, as we know that some features that are important to you are still to come. So, while you are very welcome to test and use Opera 15, Opera 12.x will still be alive for some time. You can expect that we will keep Opera 12.x up to date and secure. In the future, once we are comfortable with the feature set, we may ask you to upgrade.

As such, you shouldn’t expect any Opera 12 users to upgrade to Opera 16-17 just yet, since they aren’t finished yet with even half the feature ports (if even Opera itself isn’t expecting its user base to upgrade, it should be pretty clear that it simply isn’t done yet). It’s like in the old days when everything was bèta software for Google, well Opera is doing it the other way around, they call it stable, but it really is bèta. ;)

So, to be clear, Opera 12.16 IS the latest version and the Opera 12 branch will remain the latest version until Opera is finished with porting enough features so they’re comfortable enough to actually ask users to upgrade to the Blink-based version, I’m pretty confident that is still several releases away. ^^

Flag Post
Originally posted by joe1017:

Isn’t the latest version of Opera 16 (http://www.opera.com/docs/history/)? If you’re still having issues after you have upgraded to that let us know.

The thing is that these latest version of Opera are basically a different browser. And many people are not willing to switch to a supposedly updated version that changes everything they are used to and breaks all their extensions.
Not even Opera seems to think of it as a simple update. Usually you get an update notice when the browser can be updated. Not now.

Flag Post

FYI, it seems there’s is the same problem with IE9, without the cpu load : huge parts of kongregate related to dynamics menus/options aren’t loading. Some games aren’t loading, also, because of this (mainly because the frame isn’t even here)
Cache cleaned, and other stuff tried, didn’t work.

No problem with firefox

Flag Post

@joe1017:

As other had said – Opera 16 is different browser and for now even forums become unusable on Opera 12.x Please fix this.

Flag Post

Could this be fixed asap then? It’s an incredibly annoying bug.

And no joe, I am not going to “upgrade” to Opera 16, as people have stated here, it is a bloody beta that currently still lacks all features that I use in Opera 12 (no bookmarks, no notes, no mail-client,…).

Flag Post

@popovk I just tried on IE9, and everything runs smoothly for me.

For the Opera 12.x users, I’ve bugged this with our devs, and they’ll prioritize it with the other bugs they have in their queue.

Flag Post

For the Opera 12.x users, I’ve bugged this with our devs, and they’ll prioritize it with the other bugs they have in their queue.

Thanks, I hope the devs role out a fix very soon. I’m sure making the page usable again for a whole usergroup has priority to them.

Flag Post

I’m another Opera 12.16 user. I confirm the issue, and I’m about to quit a monetized MMO on Kong because it has become laggy as hell, presumably because the site Javascript is stealing CPU cycles.
Also, my computer is fairly old (1.7 Ghz single-core), but so far that hasn’t been a problem. It’s not ads either, since I’m on Kong plus.

I’ll prioritize Kong with playing some other Indie games that have been stacking up in my humblebundle account while the bug persists. :-P

Flag Post

@popovk I just tried on IE9, and everything runs smoothly for me.

tricky one, did a change recently in a security setting some days ago, but it seems it didn’t really register before cleaning history, temp and other related files.
If “Dom Storage” isn’t allowed, the Kong UI load partially, but don’t report an error : it goes on an infinite loop on some parts, keeping them blank or incomplete.
Reactivated it, it works flawlessly now.

Flag Post

Same issue with Opera 12.16 ever since last kong maintenance i suppose. Had same thing with IE early on havent checked if it works now.
Kong UI locks up games do accept KongID though run very slowly probably cus kong page sucks the Cpu power. lasts ~2 minutes every time u change page on kong.

Wtf is dom storage and where is that option?

Flag Post

Bump as this is still not fixed and it’s still an unbelievable annoying bug.

Flag Post

Enter kong, ~2 minutes wait, auto login, ~2 minutes wait, choose game, ~2 minutes wait.

Please make it stop, please!

Flag Post

@joe1017 Any update on this issue?

Flag Post

no updates yet.

Flag Post

Appears fixed for me. Thank you very much!

Flag Post

Are you on Opera 12.16 too Erother? Since it’s very much not fixed for me. I would be surprised if they fixed it, since they didn’t post a release of a new Kong version yet and joe said it would get fixed in the normal update schedule (at least, that’s how I understood it).

Anyone else have it fixed? Or is it still very much broken as it is for me for other Opera 12.16 users?