Recovering save files from beta

6 posts

Flag Post

Hey everyone,

Cardinal Quest 2 just launched after a long time in beta, and people were sad to see their save files being wiped. We’re here to tell you that they can be recovered with a bit of work! This applies to all other save files from other single-player games that come out of beta too.

The reason that save files are lost when a game goes from beta to live is because the swf is being hosted from a different location, and save files are only consistent when they’re being hosted from the same place. So basically what you need to do is find your save file from the beta folder and copy it over to where your save file is stored for the live version. Your live progress will then be replaced with your beta progress.

If you know the name of the file it isn’t bad (cardinalQuest.sol in this example) since you can search your computer. If you don’t know the name, which will often be the case, it’s a slightly longer search and changes a bit based on your system. Here’s an overview of Flash file locations (thank you crazye97 for putting this list together):

Windows 95/98/XP/2k:
AppData\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\(random letters/numbers)\chat.kongregate.com\

Windows Vista/7:
AppData\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\(random letters/numbers)\chat.kongregate.com\

Mac:
Userlibrary>Preferences>Macromedia>Flash Player>#SharedObjects>(random letters/numbers)>chat.kongregate.com>

Ubuntu:
~/.macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects/(random letters/numbers)/chat.kongregate.com/

Important! If you use Google Chrome, the path might be different, for example:
LocalAppData\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Pepper Data\Shockwave Flash\WritableRoot\#SharedObjects\(random letters/numbers)\chat.kongregate.com\

Once you’re in chat.kongregate.com, you’re going to see a bunch of numbered folders. Which number to pick? Well, you can try them all, but you can also probably get it more directly. To do that, open up the game in Chrome, right click something on the page (outside of the game window), then click “Inspect Element”. Then switch the tab at the bottom to “Network”, reload the page, and then search in the Network section for a .swf file. You’ll get something like this: http://chat.kongregate.com/gamez/0017/9258/live/cq2.swf?kongregate_game_version=1398890916.

Now you’ve got the folder location!: /chat.kongregate.com/gamez/0017/9258/cq2.swf/

(Yes, the swf name will be a folder.)

In there, you’ll probably see two sub folders: preview and live. Preview is the beta version, and live is the live one. At this point, we’d recommend backing up the files, then copy the preview ones over to live, and you should be good to go!

Let us know if you run into any problems or have any questions!

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

ADmin what do I do my account says you have attempted to log in a short session but 5 hours later its still saying that why do I do!?

Flag Post

It only lets me login to my facebook