Unity not working in Chrome

30 posts

Flag Post

I’ve been trying to play some Unity games, but they won’t work in Chrome. I know that there’s a whole issue of pulling NPAPI support on Chrome (or something like that), but I thought that would be implemented in 2014.

The problem:
Starting a Unity game in Chrome will load the basic Kong stuff (chat, comment box, profile bar on the top, etc). As the basic stuff is loading, the website is still interactive, however, once the actual game is trying to load, the entire website is frozen. There is no indication that the Unity player is loading and it seems as if the whole process is just hung up.

Before Unity tries to load Chrome is still operational and I can close the tab, however, when Unity tries to load the Kong website is unresponsive for me. If I allow the game to load for a long period of time, eventually I will receive a “this page is not responding” notice and eventually I have to kill that tab.

This is the case with every Unity game I try in Chrome and I cannot figure out what to do.

All Unity games WILL work in Firefox. There are no hiccups or issues loading the Unity player in Firefox.

What I’ve tried doing:
1. Uninstalling and reinstalling Unity.
2. Making sure Chrome is up to date.
3. Restarting computer.
4. Checked for conflicts in Chrome (about:conflicts)
5. Disabled Antivirus/firewall (Norton Internet Security)

None of the above made any difference in the problem I described.

Any suggestions are welcome and feel free to ask for more information if I missed some necessary details. Thanks!

Flag Post

There have been reports of issues with conflicts between Unity player and Chrome plugins, some of which may actually be hidden spyware.

Do Unity games on other sites work for you?

Flag Post

Thanks for the suggestion jclor. I don’t think that is my problem, since I’ve somehow got Unity to work. Further, I’ve checked all my plugins and dug around the extension folders + ran scans and I can’t seem to find anything like what was described in the thread you linked to. I’ll update if anything crazy happens. As for your other question, yes, Unity games on other websites work.

Here’s what happened to make Unity work in Chrome:

I tried opening a game on Kong (Creeper World 3, which is the reason I’m delayed in responding. heh) and then pulled up Chrome’s Task Manager and was monitoring what plugins and extensions were running. I noticed Unity was using ~300kb of memory, but was not moving from there. I decided to simply end the process and see what would happen. I had to restart the tab, but in the end the game loaded! Now all games are loading and I don’t even have to force close the Unity Player plugin. I’d like to think that the Unity Gods pitied me, because I honestly have no idea why it is now working. I am willing to do a reinstall and see if I can replicate the problem ,but only if someone else wants me to.

Flag Post

Thanks for the information. Hopefully, this will be useful to other users having the same or similar issues.

Flag Post

Minor update: I restarted my computer and had to force close the Unity player like I described before. Though this seems to indicate some problems, I can force Unity to work.

Flag Post

My guess is that it is a Unity bug that causes the process to hang. By killing the process you are forcing it to actually restart (thus clearing the hung process). You might experience the problem after you kill it but before a restart too. However if you don’t then it would mean that it has something to do with the startup process itself hanging the unity job you are killing.

All of this is academic, but I thought I would share.

-Piip

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheRealPip:

My guess is that it is a Unity bug that causes the process to hang. By killing the process you are forcing it to actually restart (thus clearing the hung process). You might experience the problem after you kill it but before a restart too. However if you don’t then it would mean that it has something to do with the startup process itself hanging the unity job you are killing.

-Piip

Well it is a time-tested method. Restarts can fix everything!

I’ll probably update if anything definitive comes up on my end. Hopefully all of this helps someone fix their problems too!

Flag Post

I’m having the same problem, and the solution you posted didn’t work for me. I’m using Chrome for Windows 7, I’ve re-installed the web player a few times and ended the process.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Papa_Luigi:

I’m having the same problem, and the solution you posted didn’t work for me. I’m using Chrome for Windows 7, I’ve re-installed the web player a few times and ended the process.

Originally posted by Papa_Luigi:

I’ve been having a problem on Google Chrome, Windows 7. I can load most Unity games fine and all, but I can’t load a select few. I can’t load Kuja at all, same with Idle Village, It’s just a black screen for both. and when I try to load You Are The Road at all it is broken. The Unity loading screen shows up for all of them though. Is there something wrong with my Web Player or is it my Plugins? Also each one’s sound works fine.

If you can load some unity games but not others, the problem is likely with the game. I would contact the developer. Likely they might all be suing the same function call that results in an issue on your configuration.

-Pip

Flag Post

-Piip

Thanks for sharing~ Pretty good. ^^

Flag Post

do you know that adobe flash player is required to play online games like kongregate websites………etc other than unity web player????

in other words, your unity web player is working fine but your adobe flash player hang instead even if you updated it to the latest version.

it happen to me before about adobe flash player hang………..with a message appear to either stop the plug-in or continue. (on mozilla firefox)

my best suggestion is to change to another web browser like mozilla firefox as there is no issue with unity web player at all.

Flag Post

For me, Unity games will load if I click the game link and then don’t do anything. No clicking, no mouse moving, no scrolling, nothing.

Then the bar will come up and load, then the game will play.

If I do anything, even clicking another taskbar icon, the page will freeze and crash.

Flag Post

I can’t play any unity games with Chrome on Kong or NG. :/
I tried closing the process, but nothing helped. I have win7 x64.

Has anyone found any other solution aside from changing browser?

Flag Post

Unity works fine on my computer! However, i found that it was unplayable on my PC’s GC! So, keep in mind that it’s your computer. If your computer is to slow it’ll cause UWE to freeze, not respond, then crash.

Flag Post

I assure you my HW is just fine. I run other games, music, webpages all at the same time.

My problem is that I see like the 1st frame of the loading screen of a unity game and it stays stuck there (I haven’t tried waiting for more than 5min.), the page doesn’t freeze/crash.

Flag Post

btw anyone know how to fix unity web player soundsys?
playing ballistic n crash. now i got this trouble
threis no sound for all unity game ive played, only unity game :(
setting n mixer good, ive reinstall unity web player but still no sound :‘(
i think this one is rare case :’(
can anyone help fix it?

Flag Post
Originally posted by jclor:

As others have suggested, you should try disabling any other plugins that might be interfering with Unity. Also check your computer for malware. If neither of those steps help, I would suggest searching the Unity support forums for help.

Flag Post

I just ran into this problem, with a little twist: I was playing a YouTube video in another window, and when Unity hung, the video also froze. But when I stopped the process, the video unfroze and continued from the exact point where it had stopped, with no issues beyond that. After reloading the game page, everything worked fine as lordsumesh1 describes. Maybe it’s some kind of conflict with Flash?

Flag Post

First it crashes the flash player and then nothing. But closing chrome and then go directly to the games url and everything is fine!?
Unity sux, not only in a browser. The engine is sooo freakin’ resource-consuming!

Flag Post

a few solutions.

1) don’t open too many web browser windows/tabs and don’t load too many websites at same time.

2) close all background programs (this will help to increase your computer performance somewhat)

Flag Post

nothing i try works EVER i want to play my game so much but none of these seem to work at all

Flag Post

also i cant even find the process

Flag Post

the most recent version of chrome cannot run anything but flash and html5, chrome stopped supporting something because of safety reasons and that disabled unity and other players

Flag Post

Chrome automatically blocks unity from running. you should see tiny icon popping up on right side of location bar. If you don’t see that try disabling adblock(or similiar extensions) for second. Then click icon and allow chrome to run content on this site

Flag Post

If you tried all those things, there is still two things left to try.

1. Try to refresh Unity.
2. Go to the extensions, and enable Unity.
Hope I helped.