No way to disable chat?

24 posts

Flag Post

There needs to be some way to completely disable the chat window. I’m guessing that’s what is making some games lag for me – I have an older machine, but I can play, for example, Destop Tower Defense off-site and it runs perfectly. If I play it on here, the game itself runs fairly normally but my browser completely locks up once I get into trying to select towers to upgrade. Likewise it seems like some other games have begun to run poorly now that the chat window is implemented.

Flag Post

There is mute chat button on the top of the chat.

Flag Post

I know, what I mean is a way to completely remove the entire chat panel. Even when everyone is muted, the chat panel is still operating – still keeping track of who is in the channel, etc.

I don’t see why every time I want to play a flash game on here I should also have a chat interface stuck to the side of it.

Flag Post

The chat can’t be disabled, only muted. If the chat is making the lagg, mute the chat. The chat rewards you the badges, cards, etc. That’s why it can’t be disabled.

Flag Post

What I’m saying is that even with the actual chat muted, the chat is still using Flash resources to stay running. If the chat is the only way to receive badges, then I would be content with playing and not receiving badges at all. I just think there should be a way to simply play the games without always having the chat on the side of it because it causes some games to run unplayably slow – even, as I said originally, games which run at perfect speed if played on another site (in reference to Desktop Tower Defense 1.5).

Flag Post

If the chat is the only way to receive badges, then I would be content with playing and not receiving badges at all.

I wonder why are you signed up then.

But it’s a good thought though.

Flag Post

Well, I signed up before I knew that the chat window was the only way to receive badges. Honestly it doesn’t make a lot of sense that badges can’t be awarded without it, but then again I’m no programmer.

Flag Post

It makes perfect sense, since the chat is the communication pipeline to the server ;)

Your machine must be very slow, as DTD hardly impacts my CPU. The chat usually doesn’t take up much processing power. If there are Flash ads running on the page at the same time, that tends to have an impact.

Flag Post

Add /frame/swf at the end of the game url. Problem solved!

Flag Post
Originally posted by darkfrogger:

Post is over a year old…. read the dates before replying

Flag Post
Originally posted by Eyedol:

that is right.

Flag Post

darkfrogger needs technical help.

Flag Post

Yup.

Flag Post

It is a very good tip though. Finally gett’n rid of all the junk – jus the game. Great. Thanks.

Flag Post

I don’t know bit I saw the right anwser come in the kongregate forum

Flag Post

Someone could search for the solution, come across this topic and be helped…

Flag Post
Originally posted by CitricSquid:

Someone could search for the solution, come across this topic and be helped…

Or any of the other numerous topics that have this solution.

Flag Post

You can.give a shout to this user

Flag Post
Originally posted by Juze:

There is mute chat button on the top of the chat.

yes,you can do that to make it run better.

Flag Post

What I do is open a second instance of the game in a new tab. This disables chat due to an error in the first tab as it doesn’t want to run the chat twice.

Then just close the second tab. Viola! No chat. You still get badges etc, although you might have to restart the game for them to register, not sure.

Flag Post

As a parent I am upset that we can not disable chat. If this is not added to the options we will have to diable Kongegate. Sorry advertisers I have discussed this with other parents. We will all have to block it. Please set up an option that is password protected.

Flag Post

When a player isn’t signed in the website, the left box will show the “sign in” tab by default instead of the “chat” tab which means that the child cannot see the chat unless he/she intentionally changes tabs. Even if that happens, he/she cannot interact with chat unless an account is created.

Flag Post
Originally posted by erika20th:

As a parent I am upset that we can not disable chat. If this is not added to the options we will have to diable Kongegate. Sorry advertisers I have discussed this with other parents. We will all have to block it. Please set up an option that is password protected.

You’re 21. Worst case scenario your child is no older then 8 or so. They legally can’t own their own account for another 5 years. If they’re on any websites, they’re supposed to be directly monitored by you, the parent.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator