Forum instructions

13 posts

Flag Post

Could we please have at least a sticky of forum instructions? The reply post option lists a few basic functions (bold, italic, link, and quote), with some half-assed instructions, but I know there are more functions available (e.g., posting pictures with ! … !), and I know we have some capable staff who can write better instructions than that (imagine a confused, inept 13 year old asking for instructions…what’s there ain’t good enough).

If someone could provide a list of the functions available to us, I could figure out how they work and write up a guide about it, but I only know the 5ish basic options.

I think many a kongregator would appreciate the help, and it would save time answering old, basic technical questions.

Flag Post

I think Phatcat made a guide for using the forums…He has it somewhere in off-topic I think…

Flag Post

sticky: READ FIRST

many a kongregator don’t care enough to look for the answers that are already readily available to them.

Flag Post

It’s kind of hidden in there. .

Flag Post

Not really. It’s in the sticky thread so that it doesn’t get buried, and become unfindable.

Flag Post

It’s a big mess of text in different sizes, not a clear list, and if I were looking for a forum guide, I’d look under Technical Support, not Kongregate. It’s really only easy to find if you know it’s there. I could only find it on that page because you told me it’s in there. I glanced around at stickies and didn’t see one, because it wasn’t displayed in a clear, obvious location.

Organization is king.

Flag Post

Google “textile”. That’s the formatting the entire site uses, including the forums. The forums only have a portion of the functions available.

It’s a big mess of text in different sizes, not a clear list

READ FIRST > Forums > Useful Links is pretty straightforward. Any suggestions on how it could it be more of a ‘clear list’? It’s not a big mess, it’s got different text sizes just like any categorized document might. We are actually quite limited in our formatting, so there’s not a lot of choices on how to display the sticky.

If I were looking for a forum guide, I’d look under Technical Support, not Kongregate

Technical support is for reporting problems with the site. Generally, people don’t even know to use it for that, so I don’t think a formatting guide should really go here.

Flag Post

“Moderators” and “Points” has the same size as “Forum” (as in an all-encompassing section for all Forum-related issues). Half of what’s there are quick answers to little, obvious questions. The people who need the answers to the obvious questions aren’t really going to go look for it there, because obviously they haven’t looked for it in the more obvious locations already. The green text interrupts the flow of the page, since the green is more eye-catching than the bolding of the list section titles. Since the “list” is a good 2-3 screens long, it’s helpful to have a short list summary at the beginning to show what is about to be covered so readers can quickly find the section they want rather than scrolling down to scan for the 12 bolded bits among all the other shiny, distracting things.

Like the Help page, an organizing list needs to be clean and empty of frills. Basic text colors and size/emphasis changes only when necessary.

Flag Post

You have to realize that pretty much nobody reads any “read first” thread, so you should just always assume that people do not read it.

The best in my opinion would be a link to the formatting options next to the field where you write your post.

Flag Post

@Havermorphism: As I said, unfortunately there are not many formatting options so there’s not much more that can be done. I find the page to be completely readable and easy to navigate.

Half of what’s there are quick answers to little, obvious questions.

That’s exactly the point.

The people who need the answers to the obvious questions aren’t really going to go look for it there, because obviously they haven’t looked for it in the more obvious locations already.

That’s not necessarily true, though it doesn’t really matter. I don’t really know what the point of that comment is anyway.

The green text interrupts the flow of the page, since the green is more eye-catching than the bolding of the list section titles.

Thats intentional to a degree. In any case, it’s not meant to be a beautiful design, its a forum post.

Since the “list” is a good 2-3 screens long, it’s helpful to have a short list summary at the beginning to show what is about to be covered so readers can quickly find the section they want

I’ve thought about that, but instead put a link the the Help page at the top instead for now. If they are willing to look over a list, I’d prefer they click that link and go straight to the help page. I don’t want the sticky to be too redundant.

rather than scrolling down to scan for the 12 bolded bits among all the other shiny, distracting things.

Its really not that hard to pick it out; not any harder than the rest of this forum anyway. Most of the sections are in their own post; only since more info was put in did that change.

The Help page is meant to serve as the real FAQ, while the sticky is simply quick answers to questions that are frequently posted; or to list frequently used links. It is not meant to be comprehensive, especially given its poor exposure level. It serves its purpose, when people actually attempt to read it.

I’ve experimented with several formatting options and decided to leave it be for now since people don’t even click on it that much. I may one day try different formatting, but it’s really not worth the time at the moment, especially if the forums will be changed as supposedly planned.

Flag Post

@arcaneCoder

I find the page to be completely readable and easy to navigate.

Obviously. You made it! ;)

The problem with the use of green is that, they look more like headlines than the bold headlines do, even though they are actually suppose to be sub-headlines.

It would help on the readability if you switched the formats of the headlines and the sub-headlines.

Although, it’s really readable enough to me, and not a big deal.

All I would want is an easier way to find that information. I never thought to look for it in that thread.

Its really not that hard to pick it out

Once you already know where it is, ofcourse it’s easy to find. For people who don’t know, it might not be so easy, and especially since they don’t even know to look in that thread.

Flag Post

It would help on the readability if you switched the formats of the headlines and the sub-headlines.

Tried it; didn’t care for it at the time. I want the questions to stand out, otherwise it will just become a wall of black text. I may try again later (maybe switching the green boxes to grey), but it’s not even remotely close to being a priority.

Once you already know where it is, ofcourse it’s easy to find. For people who don’t know, it might not be so easy, and especially since they don’t even know to look in that thread.

I don’t see what’s so hard, unless a person has serious issues with reading. Just because I made it doesn’t mean I remember exactly where everything is in it. Some of that info is pretty old, so I have to search through the thread exactly like anyone else would.

Like I said, options are limited and importance is low. I don’t think it’s worth doing much at the moment. If I had more formatting options, I would be more likely. It’s actually frustrating building pages like that with such limited options. At some point you just have to settle.

In any case, back on the original topic: as I mentioned, textile is the formatting used. As listed in the sticky, some formatting examples can be found here and here.

Flag Post

I made those. Over the past 3 months a lot of the way the textile is handled has been changed significantly, problems have been fixed, and exploits have been patched up. If I remember correctly aC you used the h3. tag to separate things and make it look neater, but as of 3 months ago h3. no longer displays the black bar. (For new member the black h3. used to display a black bar like in the “Formatting Help” title that pops up wen ever you make a post.) It too ha affected my guides and I’m looking to correct it as quickly as possible.

So uhh yea…chew on that for a while I guess..