save on kong?

15 posts

Flag Post

Can we get a save on kong webserver please? i like to play games at school home and work and i have more than one computer. please update so we can.

Flag Post

There’s not enough space to allow that for all the games so they won’t do it.

Flag Post

And apart from that, it’s way different from the way flash games currently work. If you were to save on Kong’s server, a dev had to implement a different saving method for every single website you can play the game on. Right now, it works the same for every website so it’s much less work.

Flag Post
Originally posted by trebach:

There’s not enough space to allow that for all the games so they won’t do it.

Probably not entirely true considering that kong already has a high score table, tracks every game ever rated and every badge achieved for every user. A clean highscore implementation would not take up much more space than what is already being used.

Originally posted by dekleinewolf:

And apart from that, it’s way different from the way flash games currently work. If you were to save on Kong’s server, a dev had to implement a different saving method for every single website you can play the game on. Right now, it works the same for every website so it’s much less work.

Not really. It wouldn’t be a stretch to add a simple API to the existing kong APIs allowing a developer to create a method that pairs the game UID, player UID and game data.

Flag Post
Originally posted by killaguy56:

Can we get a save on kong webserver please? i like to play games at school home and work and i have more than one computer. please update so we can.

Kongregate server needs more hard diskes. Here is maybe 1 million users and 40k games it is maybe 10tb harddisk space if kongregate saves files…

Flag Post
Originally posted by avigga:
Originally posted by killaguy56:

Kongregate server needs more hard diskes. Here is maybe 1 million users and 40k games it is maybe 10tb harddisk space if kongregate saves files…

There are 40k games, 5m users, and assume each save is 10k. Put together that requires 2PB of space (PB = 1,024 TB).

Flag Post
Originally posted by trebach:

There are 40k games, 5m users, and assume each save is 10k. Put together that requires 2PB of space (PB = 1,024 TB).

That is if EVERY user plays EVERY game and EVERY game saves 10kb of data.

Considering that the bulk of the 5m accounts are delinquent and that the bulk of games don’t have the Kong API and that 10kb is complete overkill… it is more likely that the average user plays about 10% of games with the API which is only about 10% of overall games and only requires about 1kb of save data then you are out by a factor of 1000 and 2-3TB is closer to a realistic requirement.

Flag Post

not every game has savefiles, and some of them use 600-byte stuff to hold all the data. Yes, 2-3 TB is a more realistic assumption, add in a factor of ~4 for future growth and we’re looking at a 12TB database in the perspective, that alone will require a separate server and data storage to house.

Flag Post

And yet other sites such as mochi games and armor games do it, so don’t brand it as impossible just yet

Flag Post

Yah.. far from impossible and technically not that difficult. More of a pain in the ass than anything else… having to write new APIs, documentation, testing and supporting them, throwing on some new servers/slices, preventing cheating etc all for no direct financial return. I don’t think Kong would gain much for the effort required.

Flag Post

Not to mention the MASSIVE rage and problems caused when the server eventually has to be upgraded, moved, and whatnot. It’s something they would only be able to dissatify people with – when the service is up it’s because it should be, when the service is down it’s because kong is doing a bad job. Kinda like the trains – you expect them to be on time, and when they don’t arrive on time, you’re gonna be frustrated. On the other hand, if like 99,9% of the trains was on time, you’ld call it “acceptable”, since that’s the service you expected.

Flag Post

There are already games on Kong that use the user level interface for savegames.

Flag Post

enigmata2 uses a save game on kongregate api. but you can also use a text save and most of that is ones and zeros. I just thought that it would be a good idea.

Flag Post

The textsave would be done by GiaB. If you want to keep your save with you though, just locate your sol save, and bring the updated version with you on a flash.

Flag Post

i am not an admin on all of the computers that i use. so i can’t always use it.