Gem Combining

6 posts

Flag Post

I learned this over at the AG Forums, but I had yet to see anyone mention it here, so I decided to explain it myself.
When using dual gems, most people just create two grade 1 gems, combine them, and then upgrade them with the forge from there on out. But guess what? That is not necessarily the best way to do it.
By combining two duals with pures, then re-combining the resulting gems, you can achieve stronger gems (in terms of specials) with no additional mana cost or anything.
That explanation may be a bit confusing, so I’ll provide an image to ilustrate the process:
(It’s a bit big, so opening it alone here may be a bit easier to see)

And so on.
So, now’s the time where some people may be scratching their heads and wondering why on Earth you would go through the trouble. Well, let’s compare some Grade 6 Gems:

Note: Both in this and the other image, stats are for maxed chain hit and multiple damage mastery
The first one was just upgraded, the middle one went through this process once, and the last one twice.You can clearly see the difference.
That’s basically it. It seems like little, but on a Grade 20 gem, this would definitely show up.
Now, I’m not exactly an expert on GemCraft, so I’d like some people’s help:
Firstly, is there any way to do this (or something similar) with Triple Gems?
Secondly, I think it works for every gem type (it should), but if someone can confirm, that’d be nice.
Lastly, I only went up to Grade 6 because I’m only Wizard Level 100-ish (and no Premium), so making higher grade examples would just take too long; but if anyone could provide higher grade examples, I’ll put them up as well.

Flag Post

As far as I know, I was the first to post it here on Kong:

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/23-gemcraft-chapter-0/topics/146498-numbercraft-the-math-behind-gcl?page=2#posts-3356133

You get about a 18.5% damage and special increase. It also means you can’t hit U to upgrade gems, and you sort of have to upgrade 2 grades at a time.

Flag Post

Ah, sorry, I hadn’t seen that post… well, at least mine has pictures! XD

Is that 18.5% for each time you combine with two pures and recombine, or what?

Flag Post

1. Better show this on 7 grade gem(it could get 100% critical)
2. I found that for start it’s ok, but for endurance it’s extremely tedious.
I build my gems by combining 32 duplicated gems and it need 5 clicks.
Building same grade gem with constant combining with pure – will need a lot more time (because you will need to start with 16 cloned, 16 pure, and at this moment you can’t press shift-click to combine, you need to mix them manually, then you need to mix resulted gems with pure, again manually… it’s more than 100 clicks to build same gem for hp capped monsters. Maybe you could finish with 28 grade instead 29, but you loose much more time.

Flag Post
Originally posted by anakin2177:

The first one nets you like a 10% bonus, each successive combine is worth significantly less, and it caps out at around 18.5% or so. I only did like combines up to g18.

Originally posted by Gremlion:

1. Better show this on 7 grade gem(it could get 100% critical)
2. I found that for start it’s ok, but for endurance it’s extremely tedious.
I build my gems by combining 32 duplicated gems and it need 5 clicks.
Building same grade gem with constant combining with pure – will need a lot more time (because you will need to start with 16 cloned, 16 pure, and at this moment you can’t press shift-click to combine, you need to mix them manually, then you need to mix resulted gems with pure, again manually… it’s more than 100 clicks to build same gem for hp capped monsters. Maybe you could finish with 28 grade instead 29, but you loose much more time.

You only need to do it like 5 times or so. Start with a G1’s and make a G12. Because the bonuses cap it’s not really worth it to do it too many times. By the time you hit G12, it’s a pretty big bonus already, and the bonus stays as long as you upgrade/duplicate like normal, and don’t add in many pure gems or “normal” dual gems. And remember you only have to do this once. =D

Flag Post
Originally posted by Celaeris:
Originally posted by anakin2177:

The first one nets you like a 10% bonus, each successive combine is worth significantly less, and it caps out at around 18.5% or so. I only did like combines up to g18.

Okay, great. Mind if I add that info to the opening post?