gemcraft 2 page 2

411 posts

Flag Post

http://gameinabottle.com/blog/2012/04/gc2cs-features-battle-frame-battlefield-grid-buildable-buildings/

New blogpost \o/

Flag Post

What do you think guys?

Orange → ? But icon seems familiar
Yellow → multiple damage
White → mana gain
Red → Chain hit
Purple → Armor reduction
Cyan → ?slow/frost?
Black → ?
again icon seems familiar
Blue → ?Bloodbound?
Green → ?Poison?

Flag Post

We shall see quite soon.
But I somehow DON’T like the new overall graphic style…
Looks weird for the hardcore GC players like myself… :D

Flag Post

I’m totally cool with graphics and some simplifications, but I’m not too fond of 2×2 tile thing. those small roads look, I dunno… bit messy. Also I thought that those “sparks” would have separate timer, but I guess they’re fixed to time between waves.

Flag Post

I like the new playing field’s look. I’d like to live in there…

Flag Post

It so hard to find great TD games like Gemcraft. I would so love to be a member of the test team, though maybe I be sick of it by the time the game does come out, lol. It look fun, but at least i still have a bit of labyrinth to still play.

Flag Post

I thought I had enough, but I’m still playing, level 1200 now and still rollin. But endurances take very long so I do one once per 1-2 days ;)

Flag Post

http://gameinabottle.com/blog/2012/05/gc2cs-features-gems/

New post!

Flag Post

Wow!
Time flies so fast!
So, here we go:
Firing modes.
Well, nothing to say until I see them in practice.
Gem types:
Cyan – Don’t care, never used slow/shock for real.
Yellow – Back to what was before; highly DISLIKE, cause I like to KNOW my damages, not rely on some weird chance.
Blue – Except for getting used to the change of color, nothing else.
Green – Finally stacking poison, it’s just the time for that, highly LIKE!
Orange – OK, no comments until seen in real.
Purple – Another one I rarely used at all.
Red – HEY! Why switch BLOOD to BLACK, if it even makes more sense as RED? Also, I hope multi-hitting doesn’t also revert to the old chance-bound style, I HATE that.
Black – Apart from the totally unneeded color switch, highly LIKE.
White – Something new to throw into the tactics scheme, highly LIKE.
OK, other stuff.
Mana pool – Tricky, but like I said, it gives a new gameplay style, so LIKE.
Operations – Hmmm, I was using keyboard shortcuts anyways, so whatever.
Also, from the screenshots.
“Shots per second” is pretty nice, though I was OK with the previous “speed” too.
And the last graphical issue (probably what was called “gem anvil”) – I don’t like the emptiness there, looked much nicer with the 3×3 look.
So, waiting for the NEXT update! :D

Flag Post

As I read the post, I suspect, now we will use all colors in the game.
We do because the monsters will have powers and unique abilities, and the gameplay will be much more varied than just making a high-grade/huge manafarm and taking a break.
Well, it sounds logical to me to make Black & White types as some kind of “experience”-gaining gems. If I see it well, these ‘special’ colors will evolve the gems in a passive way, without user interaction.
Well, I think these screenshots are still just temporary ones, the 3×3 look will definitely change…

Flag Post

Firing modes – not clear for me so far.

Cyan – Yeah didn’t use this one much so OK I guess. I’m sure it makes lot of sense to fuse shock/slow.
Yellow – Yellow was a total killer in GLC so I get it, but I liked how GCL left nothing to chance…
Blue – Yeah for three games it was orange, why the change? :/
Green – Never used. Seems I will in GC2 :)
Orange – There will have to be really fast healing for this to be useful.
Purple – Rarley used. Seems this will be more popular in GC2.
Red – Another unnecessary change in color.
Black – Interesting, but will have to see how it plays out.
White – We’ll see.

Flag Post

Doubtful that we will have prismatic gem with 2 growing colors. And both benefit poison…

Interesting note:

The ability of stopping monsters is still available, just not through gems

I photoshopped out hided abilities. First seems clear – “drop gem near monster”, second – “destroy tile”? Or maybe this is sparks… Though first wave just started.

Flag Post

Firing Modes: Sounds awesome.

Types of Gems:

Cyan: Never used slowing in GCL. Slowing isn’t very useful. Well, it wasn’t in GCL, anyway.

Yellow: I used this gem type significantly more often than other gem types in GCL. I mean, 100% chance to deal >100x damage when the minimum damage is already over 100k? Sounds great to me!

Blue: Darn! Blue being mana drain will take some getting used to. Good thing I adapt super quickly! Mana gain was incredibly useful in GCL, especially when combined with lime and put in a trap.

Green: I used poison occasionally in GCL, but not very often. Sounds like it’s going to be much more useful in GC2, though.

Orange: The first new special! This sounds pretty cool. It’s pretty cool that enemies heal over time now. I was hoping that GC2 would be more challenging than GCL was, and it looks like it will be.

Purple: Another type that I almost never used in GCL. Just like green, though, it looks like it’s gonna be a ton more useful.

Red: What?! Why is red chain hit instead of Bloodbound? Blood is red! It should remain that way! It makes more sense!

Black: The fact that black is being added into the mix makes up for the fact that red now makes no sense at all. It’s awesome that every SHOT increases its attack instead of every kill. That way, it isn’t practically useless like it was in GCL! In GCL, I only used it when I was a low level.

White: Sounds AWESOME!!!!! It sounds like it’s basically a mix between green, yellow, and orange that increases in strength as your mana pool increases, if I understood it correctly.

Gem Operations: Sounds kind of cool. That will be a little hard to remember, though. But I always used the shortcut keys, anyway, so I won’t need to remember which things do what, fortunately.

Flag Post

But tell me, since I’m not sure – how will pure white and pure black work? Will they make sense only when combined with proper colored gem?

Flag Post

I just realized something: Won’t black be hard to see in a trap since traps are black?

Flag Post

Black: The fact that black is being added into the mix makes up for the fact that red now makes no sense at all. It’s awesome that every SHOT increases its attack instead of every kill. That way, it isn’t practically useless like it was in GCL! In GCL, I only used it when I was a low level.

White: Sounds AWESOME!!!!! It sounds like it’s basically a mix between green, yellow, and orange that increases in strength as your mana pool increases, if I understood it correctly.

Black – not every shot.

When a bloodbound gem reaches a hit milestone,

So Black will need to make really huge amount of shots.

For both colors you understood it wrong.

the gem types next to color in the 3×3 grid get stronger (whichever of these components the gem has)

Flag Post

The last sentence makes little sense without clarification – and I don’t get it yet.
As of Black, OK, so it won’t INCREASE with every shot, but every shot will COUNT anyways.
So, I don’t care, whether I get 1 dmg per kill, or I get 5 dmg per 10 hits (none of those were kills!) – it’s still growing due to HITS.
I so can’t wait for the actual GAME..!

Flag Post

It means that colors near Black/white on Gem Anvil will get stronger if they combined into one gem. I.e. Black/White/Green will have great poison damage cos Green get benefits from both colors.
And White/Yellow can be more useful than Yellow.

Honestly, even if the black gem will get 1 dmg per hit, it will be only slightly better than current Red in GCL.
For example, endurance have ~15000 monsters(+20k summoned), with average setup (3k crit, 100mln damage) it means 35000 kills, with 30 hits for kill(practically, less due to chain hit) it means we can get 4,5mln damage at the end of endurance. For 100mln damage gem. 4,5%. Meh.
Will be more useful than current Red (which is useful on the 1-100 level range from 11675 max), but is not a gamebreaker.

Flag Post

I wouldn’t expect so overpowered yellow and lime in GC2. So then the black gem can be much more useful than yellow.
We’ll see.

Flag Post

Don’t think so. Yellow will be the same.
And having x2 crit on start(yellow) > potentially having x2 crit after 1000 hits(Black) – player would be able to do more aggressive summoning, faster upgrade gem… In short, all the bloodbound flaws still there.

Flag Post

Thing is, we don’t know yet the EXACT maths of both Yellow and Black.
NOW, sure, the current Red is useless, compared to Yellow.
But the guy said about returning to “chance” multiples, thus it might end up as “25% chance to do 500% DMG + 75% chance to do 100% DMG”, aka only every FOURTH hit would be actually affected…
Which is WAY worse than “100% chance to do 200% DMG + 1% chance to do 300% DMG”, aka EVERY hit is doubled.
Or something even worse…
As of the new Black, maybe it will be something like “+200 DMG every 100 hits”, aka “+0 DMG on hit 99”.
to be short – we aren’t even remotely sure, what will be…

Flag Post
Originally posted by somebody613:
Cyan – Don’t care, never used slow/shock for real.
Yellow – Back to what was before; highly DISLIKE, cause I like to KNOW my damages, not rely on some weird chance.
Blue – Except for getting used to the change of color, nothing else.
Green – Finally stacking poison, it’s just the time for that, highly LIKE!
Orange – OK, no comments until seen in real.
Purple – Another one I rarely used at all.
Red – HEY! Why switch BLOOD to BLACK, if it even makes more sense as RED? Also, I hope multi-hitting doesn’t also revert to the old chance-bound style, I HATE that.
Black – Apart from the totally unneeded color switch, highly LIKE.
White – Something new to throw into the tactics scheme, highly LIKE.
OK, other stuff.
Mana pool – Tricky, but like I said, it gives a new gameplay style, so LIKE.
Operations – Hmmm, I was using keyboard shortcuts anyways, so whatever.

I don’t think GiaB will actually fall back to chances with multiple damage. It should get nerfed, that’s for sure, as a GCL’s Y/L growed more than 4X per grade, likely along with now-chainhit red.
Poison did stack back there in GC1, but the supergemming there outshined it completely.

About why black for bloodbound – probably because bloodbound is the only thing that accelerated as is within GCL boundaries, and since he wants to accelerate something more than just the property, he had to designate non-rainbow colors for that.

Me viewing gems – well, it looks like GiaB wants now to amp poison to play a good deal in the game, and with both self-raising colors amplify poison, it’ll be likely that K/G/W gems will be a commonplace (K stands for black, as B still stands for blue). Purple might play some bigger role, but this requires careful balancing with poison, in case it’ll be so that poison will render direct damage unnecessary, then oops, but the other way is too possible like in GCL. Orange – in case monsters will regen armor as well as HP, might be a necessity, or if their healing will outplay poison. Requires action to actually decide something, but monsters themselves having abilities and not being punching bags is a GoodThing™. Others look very promising, especially the no-longer-scaling manaleech, which might be logical to a certain degree. But I don’t know what will happen out of K/B/W, even if poolbound doesn’t increase mana leech, and what will happen with K/B/R too.

About K and W growth – well, both K and W grow in stages, W is more profound as its source of amplification is clearly visible, while K is both per-gem and staged, this can yield some serious compromises with say “raise pure K gem to a certain level, than squish out for B”, for example.

Flag Post

Seems, that it will be way harder to play with summoning.
Less monsters/gem, no mana leech scaling, more health for monsters… We will get way less mana than in any previous version.
Want to see planned skills. Maybe Replenish will be my favorite.

Flag Post

The author should allow alpha-beta testing, so he could tweak his mechanics to make all gems playable.

I prefer the simply bland looking of GCL and do not like the new complicated looking battlefield. Hopefully the author set it as options so that we can choose what we like.

Flag Post

tuanm
Yeah, I liked the simple-yet-effective graphical look of GCL.
GC2 looks very NICE, but seems less eye-effective or whatever…