gemcraft 2 page 3

480 posts

Flag Post

http://gameinabottle.com/blog/2012/05/gc2cs-features-sparks-monsters/

TA-DA! new blog entry.

Flag Post

Hmmm…
The very first screenshot mentions XP.
In GCL, XP had more sense when just “got” after finishing the level, there was no point in looking at the small numbers. :D
Will it be the same here?

Unearthed shard – YESSS!

“Playable at 7 fps”…
You gotta be kidding me…
That’s the lag in its prime…
I never encountered TOTAL lag, but I hate this 15% speed!
(Though, it might be much better than those I’m getting, since I can’t check the fps.)

Waiting for the next part…

Flag Post

Peter already told about changes in exp system here

See how much xp you will earn in real time, plus track your battle performance xp bonuses by rolling over the xp field (the old flawed battle amulets system is gone, GC2 will reward you with more xp if you perfrom better (more summons, more mana gathered, longer kill chains), and not by forcing you to do repetitive tasks like building 10 towers)

“Playable at 7 fps”…
It is really better. Sometimes I had 0,2 fps.

Flag Post

“See how much xp you will earn in real time, plus track your battle performance xp bonuses by rolling over the xp field (the old flawed battle amulets system is gone, GC2 will reward you with more xp if you perfrom better (more summons, more mana gathered, longer kill chains), and not by forcing you to do repetitive tasks like building 10 towers)”

I applaud the lack of “build 10 towers”, but it’s not that clear, until I see it in actual action – I hope soon… :DDD
As of fps, it’s hard to track it, when the screen is moving in jerks…
Like, I had to switch between pause and unpause, to use the shrines – they were stupidly lagging otherwise.
We’ll see, anyways.

Flag Post

It all looks great to me. Simplification of XP, diffrent angle of summoning, sparks. But yeah 7fps is a hardcore slow, I just hope it’s not gonna be too common ;)

However I must say I liked both GCL with composing settings for higher XP and GC0 where you had heroic, swarm and so on. I wonder if glowing score will be back.

Flag Post

XP gain – LOVE THIS! I believe any result of the XP gain on a monster will encourage angering/summoning.
Sparks – well, I’d rather like if the effect in a spark will carry both positive and negative effect on the battle. But whatever stirs in there, seems to be interesting.
7fps at 4000 monsters – if you call this lag, you have obviously never played GC0 extreme. Or GCL with a lot of chain hit on a gem in a trap. This is bearable by a lot.
I am actually surprised that previous GC games used native Flash renderer, likely with the DisplayList feature to its highest, and I am actually surprised at the game’s performance, I expected display lists lag horribly.
And, monsters that are composed out of moving parts will likely ROCK!

Flag Post

Peter posted on his AG profile

Originally posted by Gameinabottle
@dinorae The gem system’s changes are aimed towards nerfing the previously too powerful gems and boosting the neglected ones. Splash damage, as it was in GC1, was so powerful it broke the game, so now the splash ability is moved to the barrage gem enhancement, which is a temporary effect, so it should be a much easier containable game mechanic. I agree the gem abilities going above 100% or going astronomical were just awkward, it will be a priority aim to make that right in GC2.
@Oktavia_witch Yes, you’re right, but even since the last post things have evolved, with some refines in game rules, black and white gems can boost all of the 7 colors. More on that in the blog post 4 weeks from now.

Flag Post

all 7 colors boosting? YAY! I expect a lot of powerful W/B/* gems’ strategies.

Flag Post

if they take away the premium purchase and let it be a free game where you dont have to purchase anything, then this game will be phenomenal!

Flag Post

Dream on…
I fully understand, how people want some feedback in money for a GOOD job, such as GC games.
Except I’d like the Premium stuff NOT be needed to actually COMPLETE the game, but rather ENHANCE it.
I mean, we should be able to get ALL of the built-in achievements, but it would require 500% more skill and/or grinding without the Premium.
Still, GCL is VERY user-friendly in this respect, unlike so many other games, that are unplayable unless you pay – which is annoying and insulting.
That’s why GC is one of my truly favorite game series. :DDD

Flag Post

Man I so need a new tower def game…. so can’t wait. Following the blogs and seeing some of the good improvements makes me want to try it more.

Flag Post

http://gameinabottle.com/blog/2012/06/gc2cs-features-gem-bombing/

Bombs & Wasps

Flag Post

This all requires seeing in dynamic, but I really like fast and uniform gem bombing with pure mana. Bomb with poolbound – hehe, might even amp damage based on mana pool. Bomb with purple – might have an armor reduction added to them wasps – while GiaB didn’t say anything. And wasps as they are – nice I think, a wasp is something like a simulation of harm field left from gem bomb, “unstable magic field” or something.

Flag Post

Current “Rage”:
5 gembombs

12 monsters → 62 (+10 * 5)
57 hp → 112 (* 1.14 ^5)
next:
+ 4 monsters (earlier was higher grade or diminishing return)
multiplier 1,1 for hp
Looks like new hp = current hp ^( 1,06 + 0.04 * grade)

Flag Post

http://gameinabottle.com/blog/2012/06/gc2cs-features-updates-more-insight/

Another new note “Updates & more insight”

Flag Post

Bound gems and more than 3 components is COOL.
Click instead of drag can cause havoc sometimes.
Pity for amplifiers being slow now. Not critical, but hindering…
Wall dragging is another mouse unfriendliness in some cases.
Mana pool info is cool, though the “minute” is anyways a vague definition in this case.
Waiting for the next update AND can’t await the GAME. :DDD

Flag Post

Summoning is now called Enraging, since you are not creating more monsters but increasing the strengths of the ones already there.
@UgAhgItHurts- Gameinabottle has made a note of the unbalanced gem types and is attempting to correct it in the next one. The poison gem will be more useful at high levels, and so will gem bombs.

Also, I hadn’t seen it mentioned on this thread yet, but what do people think about the new black and white gems. The powers for these gems are bloodbound and poolbound. Bloodbound is the same, except when you increase your damage, you also increase the specials of the other gem types in the gem (damage goes up, slowing goes up, etc.) Poolbound is a new ability that increases the damage of white gems when your mana pool maxes out. It increases the specials of the other gem types as well.

There’s a whole lot more information on Gameinabottle’s web page, or you can look it up on the Gemcraft Wiki.

Flag Post

http://gameinabottle.com/blog/2012/07/gc2cs-features-strike-spells/
Why no comments?

Flag Post

http://gameinabottle.com/blog/2012/07/gc2cs-features-shrines/

Flag Post

I like diversity.

Flag Post

Well, I can’t wait for the actual game.
Such a pity, it won’t be ready for who knows how long…

Flag Post

i like the fact that they are now going back to the gemcraft chapter 0 way of shrines i think it will be better because it serves to challenge your approach on the field more plus i like the fact that there are all sorts of shrines there will probably be a limit but imagine doing endurance on a map with the xp shrines from the pictures it doesn’t seem shrines will revert completely to chapter 0 because they don’t have a set amount of charges atleast not as of this post. but everything looking great for gc2 and i can’t w8!

Flag Post
Originally posted by mac1219:

i like the fact that they are now going back to the gemcraft chapter 0 way of shrines i think it will be better because it serves to challenge your approach on the field more plus i like the fact that there are all sorts of shrines there will probably be a limit but imagine doing endurance on a map with the xp shrines from the pictures it doesn’t seem shrines will revert completely to chapter 0 because they don’t have a set amount of charges atleast not as of this post. but everything looking great for gc2 and i can’t w8!

I love how he’s making the game more challenging. From what I read on the blog post, it seems that you won’t be able to unlock every gem in every level, causing the player to use some strategy instead of the same thing over and over.

Flag Post

http://gameinabottle.com/blog/2012/08/gc2cs-features-–-shards-beacons/

Flag Post

well, I was on a vacation, so I’m greatly surprised with three posts at once :)

Speaking about shards and beacons…
well, having a shard be shelled does minor impact, but is more of a balance issue than anything else. Having shards appear mid-battle is fine, though it’s an extra target provided to one’s gems, it can even be detrimental – good IMO.
Beacons seem to be a lot stronger than what was there before in GCL, which is good too – earlier a single G3 bomb could blast away a beacon, not anymore. And having a purple gem ready to plainly protect your killzone from suddenly appearing beacons is a nice amplification for this type of gems. Maybe poison could shine too.