framerate issues solved... i think

18 posts

Flag Post

as far as i can tell its the gems attack speed that causes the biggest issues (1-5k monsters makes it sluggish but still playable).

i currently have a tower gem at a speed of 310.9 and 7 traps with speed ranging from 222.4 to 300.5 with no sluggishness at all but if i upgrade any beyond the 300+ speed mark each kill will cause the game to stop for a sec, longer at higher speeds (too high and the flash player could crash)

if someone could confirm this that’d be great. hardware likely plays a part too, as such i’m currently playing on a laptop so desktop users would likely fair better anyway.

Flag Post

So what you are saying is, if you deliperatly reduce the fire speed of a gem ( I think this can be done by adding lower grade gems in) you won’t lag? I’ll try this and see what happens.

Flag Post

Lime in trap solely kills fps.
I could have 30k+ monsters on screen with 45+ grade gem (that’s a lot of attack speed) but 15k chain hit freezes my game almost completely.

Flag Post

IDK, in my case the main problem is the number of monsters on the field – at about 500 it starts slowing down, at 1000 it slows down maybe twice or worse.
So this is a technical problem for me to summon immense monster amounts on easier waves – and I hate it.
BTW, my laptop is pretty new, i3-2.40GHz, 4GB memory.
So I really don’t get the reason for this problem.
(Don’t tell me – it’s Opera AGAIN?!)
And speaking of lime, my sole gem (I always play the 1G-8A set, whenever possible, otherwise just less As) has a max of 10 or so multi-hits, and a speed of about 100.
So what’s the real problem THEN?

Flag Post

Videocard.
My gaming laptop can survive 10k lime+40k monsters on field.

Card – up to 1791MB NVIDIA Geforce 9600M©

Flag Post

4GB DDR3 Geforce GT 420M – which one is better? O_o
Maybe something else?
I saw my Flash games work much worse lately (in Opera), though it has happened before, from time to time…
Any more ideas?

Flag Post

sorry i didn’t bother to check this thread again till now but i changed up my strategy a bit and it still works out while limiting the speed of the gems.

currently using the following setup with good success: 1 grade 3 L/Y/O gem in a tower surrounded by grade 25 amps of the same type, keeps the speed at 311.1 for the grade 3 while still giving a great overall stat boost to the gem.

that aside heres my computer specs (laptop), pentium® dual-core cpu t4400 @ 2.20ghzx2, 4.00gb ram. no real video card instead it uses that dumb Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family, that is what my biggest suspicion is as for as the lag, no real video card so it can’t hold up that well. speaking of, i can run games like TeS:Oblivion on this laptop but only at low graphics setting and even then if it rains in the game it’ll lag so maybe gemcraft labyrinth just requires a decent video card.

oh and that gem setup i’m using, only good for 1,337 endurance without getting tougher faster turned on, don it that way for lvls until i can boost resonance up enough to handle the higher hp cap :/

Flag Post

your

mine

As you can see, your card better, but lack something
1)Anno 1404 on low 64 fps vs 91
2)L4D on high – 74 vs 76
3)3DMark 2001SE test – Standard 1024×768 – avg: 18904 vs avg: 26806.7

Flag Post

Gremlion
More to come, though:
(my/your)
FEAR2 high 39/19 (if true, they used a few settings)
FarCry2 high 37/18
CrysisWarhead 47-11/45-7
etc.
So, what could be the source of the problem?
The video cards are pretty alike, the processor is really good, the memory is even bigger…
WEIRD stuff…

Flag Post

About your card

As there are still only 2 warp schedulers (versus 3 shader groups), Nvidia now uses superscalar execution to use the higher amount of shaders per SM more efficiently. In theory, the shaders can thereby be utilized more efficiently and the performance per core is improved. However, in worst case scenarios the performance can also be worse than of the GF100 (and its predecessors).

Also, your examples about 3d games, Stage3d api, which GCL don’t use.
http://gameinabottle.com/blog/2011/11/why-gemcraft-2-will-not-use-the-new-stage3d-api/

Flag Post

Hehehe, I’m no expert of video cards.
So, are you saying, that it’s directly related to my card’s specifics, or is there another problem that we both don’t understand?
Thanks.

Flag Post

Try update drivers.
Your laptop better than mine and gives worse performance for GCL. I think it related with card, which gives worse performance than mine on some old games.

Flag Post

Video card (and all others) is up-to-date…
Maybe I’m not using all the processor power – do you know how to check/switch it W7?
I’ve heard something about how some programs/games don’t use the full ability of multi-core processors…

Flag Post

Try to check about “PowerMizer” – this function decreases frequency while card not loaded. There are programs for disabling this function.

Flag Post

Tried – doesn’t help…
Are you using Opera?
Cause I have a funny feeling it might be the cause…

Flag Post

Yes, I am.
Theoretically, Firefox may be better, because it launches Flash as another application, to whom you can set “high priority” process.

Flag Post

On youtube I see people switch back and forth between FF/Chrome windows in 10 seconds so that Gemcraft don’t have to update screens at so high rate.

Flag Post

Any browser with tabs will do the trick.