A sincere request from a fan to EdgebeeStudios. Skip to the last 2 lines if you do not want to read.

32 posts

Flag Post

First off, I believe EdgebeeStudios has awesome, innovative games that are absolutely amazing, awesome, and additionally, achieve an aspirational artistic aesthetic (in that I can only hope to achieve such incredible, but addictive simplicity in a web game). I hope I made a good impression through my display of alliteration.

This is not a comment telling EdgebeeStudios to die, go kill themselves, or call them various derogatory names. This is an attempt to convince EdgebeeStudios that there would be much less hate, and could possibly be more money made if things were done a little differently in the games.

Now please, my first request is that you would make a larger percentage of your income from ads rather than straight money donations. You should just put some ad that plays each time the game loads and/or place an ad within the actual game itself. Then, have options to remove those ads for a small donation. Ratings would be higher (although I gave 5 stars to “Swords & Potions” because I believe the game itself is very well done) and gameplay would be much more attractive to others with higher ratings. Higher ratings might also put you up top in the contests Kongregate holds every now and then, and taking a high prize in some of those could make you a pretty penny, or rather, many pretty pennies. Games (browser-based web games) in which people pay to have access to additional gameplay or a more advantageous position in the game have proven successful (ie. Gemcraft Labyrinth). Games (on Kongregate and other great parts of the internet) in which people have to pay to have access to anything more than minimal gameplay, as far as I know, have never exhibited great success.

On that note, make it a bit easier for those without any money to play. I’m fine with the fact you can pay for an advantage in the game, but I believe that advantage should be roughly equal or only slightly higher than those who invest a lot of time into the game. I believe something like this could be done by cutting some slack on the day cap for “Swords & Potions.” I believe the day regen rate is currently 1 day/hour- maybe it could be increased to 3 days/hour, so those who do not pay would alternatively, invest time into the game. Another suggestion, slightly tangent from the topic is to offer one-time payment options to increase the day regen rate instead of a one time payment that would grant a few extra days here and there. A cap on the duration of the gameplay is not something that is very beneficial, especially if you were to implement ads. If I were to play a version of “Swords & Potions” with ads and that day cap, I would check back weekly instead of daily, because only then could I play for an extended uninterrupted period of time. So yes, here are two equations summarizing my theories.

(High Play Duration) + (High Play Frequency) + (Ads) = MOAR $$ + Lots of love! →results in: Victory and Happiness for all!!! V^.^V
[Restricting time for lack of donation] = (Lower Play Duration) + (Lower Play Frequency) + (loss of potential fans) + (No Ads) = Less $$ + lots of hate →results in: feels bad man. no me gusta.

Anyways, I believe, the way the game is run now, gives the developer(s) who work at EdgebeeStudios a bad name because Edgebee could eventually be a name people associate with selfish, greedy, money-grubbing developers who develop games on the internet for no other intention than making money. By implementing ads and granting more access to those who do not have access to lots of money, you might actually make more money, and you would definitely get a lot less hate. It kills me to see such a great and talented developer receive so much hate due to a small kink in a game.

TL;DR-
Dear EdgebeeStudios, please seriously consider the use ads to make money in place of your current system.

Sincerely,
ChanimalCrackers

Flag Post

EdgebeeStudios forums never get seen.

Flag Post

I agree with the first part. Tokens are too strongly interwoven in regular gameplay, just like they did with Sorcery Quest. I enjoy both games (wasn’t a big fan of Critter Forge, but it turned out be very popular), but having token-costing goodies rubbed in my face all day long isn’t fun.

I don’t fully agree with the 3days/hour thing. I like the small limited playtime. What does bother me greatly is the 7day maximum you can save up. A regular person sleeps up to 9hours a day and works up to 12hours a day. I don’t play in the morning, and it’s annoying that over half of my “game time” is wasted because it doesn’t save up beyond 7hours.

Flag Post

There is one very good reason the cap and the rate will not go up… ad revenue. The server is set up to kick you if you are inactive for a set amount of time (10 min maybe 5?) forcing a reload, and thus, another ad/cash flow. If the rate of days were increased by the hour there would be the ability to play longer without a reload. Same thing with the cap… if you could “save up” more days then you wouldn’t be forced to log on as often, so less ad money.

I think it is rather sneaky myself and does lower my opinion of the company as a whole, but I still play so I can’t necessarily say its a bad business move… at least in the short term. Long term though, I’m not so sure. I can already see that having to stop what I’m in the middle of and jump on my game is going to get old and I’ll probably end up quiting because of it.

Flag Post

I don’t know of any ad company that pays for non-unique hits, so chances are your theory is bogus. More likely the inactivity kick is to reclaim server resources wasted on inactive connections.

Flag Post

Hmmm… Interesting topic…

First off I would like to point out that, while Gemcraft: Labyrinth does have a pay-to-use part of their game, it is much different than this one – GameInABottle charges you all at once for their content, while Edgebee uses the micro-payment model seen in many E/SE Asian companies’ games… While that may work for games with more content in them, I am very very hesitant to want to contribute money to this game.

I don’t really see a problem with the number of days you can stack and their restore rate – Maaaaaybe they could tweak it just a little bit so as to go from empty time to full in about 24 hours (e.g. Pardus.) While this will end up making the days regenerate slower than they do now (assuming they keep the limit of 7 days), we would at least be able to spend the time earned at a more regular pace, thus encouraging longer play. (I personally find myself playing certain games at certain times of the day each day, so this would work well for me at least.)

Another idea concerning ads: This would go well with increasing the total number of days you could “bank” at once. Simply cause the game applet to require a refresh after each full game-day, or perhaps add interstitial banners/etc. I agree this would be rather annoying, but if it pays the bills more efficiently in the end, I won’t mind watching a few – maybe even click on them!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Gaminic:

I don’t know of any ad company that pays for non-unique hits, so chances are your theory is bogus. More likely the inactivity kick is to reclaim server resources wasted on inactive connections.

On Kongregate, the ad revenue is split (% depends on api and such up to 50%) per click, not unique. Its not a banner setup, its for the commercials you see at the start of the game.

I am sure getting disconnected is a server thing, but I was pointing out why the hours regen/cap won’t change.

Flag Post

That game is just too small to generate enough revenue trough ads. If it had a million views a day, it would be otherwise.

Flag Post

A better idea may be to limit resources instead of days.

Flag Post

As a fellow game developer working on http://www.harvestcircuit.com, we also have monetization plans.

The pay-to-play philosophy here is too in your face. I just tried it out and played for maybe 30-40 minutes before I ran into the 1 hour real-time per game day limitation. That’s pretty brutal. I barely got my feet wet.

There are better ways to slow player progress (such as real-time based research). It’s more important to build a meaningful customer base and allow people to actually play the game. Advertising is not a viable source of revenue for games like these. This game has a lot of potential, but not the way it is currently monetized.

Flag Post

I can’t stand that real time crap. Then people start putting in psychotic delays like “You have to wait 72 hours real time for this to finish.” I’m finding the 1 point per hour far less annoying.

Flag Post

Definately, its not easy to monitize a game while still retaining every aspect of gameplay and the fun of it, but I think there should be better ways than days, or at least the monitization aspect of it could have been done better.

For example, I don’t think people complain about how Tokens can be used to speed up research, production or how upgrades purchased with Tokens are instant, or that you can level craftsmen with Tokens. Because these aspects are still retained, whether you pay or not. Using Tokens are a quicker alternative, but strictly an alternative, and non-paying players are still able to access them, at a reasonable pace.

Flag Post

Stop whining about that “Action point” system. That system allows people that don’t have loads of time to spend (e.g. ppl with a REAL LIFE, or ppl with JOBS) to actually compete with nolifer kiddies that spend half their day on a game.

Flag Post

I have played edgebees other games and I personally believe that this is their best one. However, it suffers from the exact same issues. I would like to present in a respectable manner that they should reformat the game so that the max is 12 days, .5 day/ hour. This would lower the revenue gained from any future advertisements and lower the likely hood that someone will buy additional days, however, it would allow me to feel that my relationship with this game is more stable. Because of this newfound stability, I may find myself investing in premium content or even straight out donating.

Flag Post
Originally posted by GrimJester:

Stop whining about that “Action point” system. That system allows people that don’t have loads of time to spend (e.g. ppl with a REAL LIFE, or ppl with JOBS) to actually compete with nolifer kiddies that spend half their day on a game.

The game is non-competitive, thus your argument is invalid. Too, besides, people with REAL LIFE or with JOBS will never be able to compete with any person that spends the entire day or half a day on the game, because anyone that spends the entire day gets 24hours=24days, and someone working would, say get 7~14days, depending on whether said person is able to log on in the morning and at what time. So your logic is flawed as well. Take your issues with ‘nolifer kiddies’ elsewhere.

It may well be a method to reduce strain on their severs, but I don’t see a reason to turn away potiential nolifer kiddies with access to their parent’s credit cards. Just saying.

Regardless, the game is non-competitive. No tournements, no monetary rewards. Nothing. Zero. Don’t whine about not being able to compete with nolife kids; I don’t think you’d enjoy competing with them either, based on your attitude.

Flag Post

I agree with your idea about more adds and a good spot for an add to be is when you finish each day an add pops up next to the next day button this would be an easy add that the player would view over and over again, but this might turn into short add videos which would cause tons of hate. It is a good spot for an add though if the don’t evolve into 2 minute add videos.

Flag Post

You know what would be even better. Watch this add and get so and so like more stuff to sell or some quick exp for one of your craftsman or some gold.

Flag Post

I find their games cool, but I’m honestly a hardcore gamer – so I can’t stand waiting around for turns to come back. If I can’t afford to play their game hardcore – then I’d simply play or do something else. These imaginary financial losses are theirs alone. If you make a game cheap enough, you will get more customers.

Flag Post

When I play this game, its a feeling similar to being stranded on a desert island. Being surrounded by ocean, you have no idea how far it is to shore. Its an investment. An unknown investment. Not only a investment of uncountable cash micropayments, but time investments as well. Just playing this game is a gamle, let alone buying anything. Thats why I think edgebee should offer a much more precise, painless route similar to Fizzy. I hate fizzy. But fizzy is better than this. At least I know how much it costs. And, after I pay, I can use the game in the morning, evening, or whenever because I paid for it. I’d say this game should cost, at the very most, $20. And then, if you feel ambitious, you can publish add on packages that players can purchase to voluntarly improve their gaming experience.
The fact is, I don’t know squat about the depth of this game. Should I buy this item, is it worth it? If you don’t tell and prove it to me, I will assume no.

Flag Post

I was having fun with the game and only getting mildly annoyed by running out of “days.” Then I decided to scroll down my craftsman’s research list to where the glowing (magic?) items are… Only to discover that you need to pay to unlock them. I’m being denied content just because I don’t want to shell out my hard-earned money on a game that I only enjoy for about an hour a day? I find this business tactic more than mildly annoying.

Like someone else mentioned earlier, it’s cool to have the pay option to streamline your gaming, as long as you also have the option to wait out the day regen or whatever. I just don’t like having content completely denied to me because I’m not willing to make micropayments. I really wanted to give this game a 5/5, but I may have to lower it slightly.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Alyka:

I was having fun with the game and only getting mildly annoyed by running out of “days.” Then I decided to scroll down my craftsman’s research list to where the glowing (magic?) items are… Only to discover that you need to pay to unlock them. I’m being denied content just because I don’t want to shell out my hard-earned money on a game that I only enjoy for about an hour a day? I find this business tactic more than mildly annoying.

Like someone else mentioned earlier, it’s cool to have the pay option to streamline your gaming, as long as you also have the option to wait out the day regen or whatever. I just don’t like having content completely denied to me because I’m not willing to make micropayments. I really wanted to give this game a 5/5, but I may have to lower it slightly.

EdgeBee still needs to make something out of this game, be it profit or to pay for their severs.

I don’t agree with micropayment for Days, but I think the recipes are still within reasonable limit. For 25 tokens, you get a recipe, but from experience, most customers do not demand the items made by these recipes, and you are still able to get them from questers. (I’ve gotten Rare Staffs from quests) I think the inclusion of certain items unattainable by normal means (well, unless you pay) adds depth to it. But that’s just my opinion.

I think having everything obtained by just sitting at the game for hours on end just makes it that much less appealing, and very much a rinse&repeat cycle. With some limitations, like Mystic Feathers, Gems, Mithril etc. materials being limited, there is some requirement for management of resources instead of mindless point&click.

Of course, having them go for tokens just gives paying players an advantage, but its 25tokens/resource. And that’s a heavy cost, so I think that aspect was rather well balanced out.

Flag Post

Stop whining, support the developers and pay a little bit of money to help yourself and them…

Flag Post

I say that everyone should just pay $5 through $10 bucks for the game and be done with all of this crap. This would give edgebee a quick profit, and all of the players could play as long as the want without micropayments.

Flag Post

Yeah, I have contributed to EdgebeeStudios, and I figure I should get to say something if I have contributed.

I hope they can make things a one time payment for more relevant things like the day cap. That probably matters more than the rate of day regeneration, although I still hold that the day regen rate matters. I think there should be a one-time payment to remove the day cap.

Flag Post

I agree for the most part that Edgebeestudios went to far in trying to make money in this game. All high end gear requires coins, which in turns does not make the game very friendly for people just want to try the game. For the most part the game is well made and enjoyable. What finally killed the game for me is the guild requirements to shop upgrades. If you have the funds to buy shop upgrades, why do you have to wait for guild mates to catch up? This just not makes sense at all and just handicaps players that can advance but can’t because you have to wait for the guild to catch up. I hope the rest of you can enjoy the game with it’s flaws, but I’m out.