[Guide] All you need to know about swords and potions

44 posts

Flag Post

Hello,

This guide aims at providing useful information for players looking for late game, in particular without using tokens. It does not cover the basics that you will discover when playing game anyway but rather focus on a few points that I wish I had knew when starting playing game.

Crafters:
Take care when picking crafters, you can change them right at the beginning without too much trouble but later on you will see that all the crafters wanting to join are bad.
They will have higher level than yours but crafting stats are worse.

The useful stats are the following:
Crafting skills first.
Then learning as crafters can reach lvl higher than 100 (although the highest lvl you can recruit them is probably 100)

Cooperation is good but not as useful as the 3 above.
Innovation is nearly useless for non-token player as researches are easy to do.

Skills:
You won’t be able to re-pick skills without tokens.
There are 2 main skills for late game:
- adventurer: very high income but low exp
- mercantile: high exp from sales
With around 80 in adventurer I was able to give the lowest items to questers with decent chances of success.

Famous and Haggling are probably the most useful at start so you should probably get them around level 10-15 each.
Leader could be useful later after adventurer/mercantile have reached a high level but I haven’t taken it yet.

Suggest/Haggle:
Haggling has more chance of success if the customer offered a very low price.
Suggesting item is class based. 0% means you offered wrong item based on customer class.

When you successfully suggest an item, the selling price is based on ratio between price offered and market price for first item.
For instance, customer offers 80 gold for a 100 gold market price item.
If you succesfully suggest a 500 gold item, then you will get 400 gold.

Recipes:
Blacksmith is my researching bottleneck but that may be because I get him later.
As non token player, I have nearly all the recipes I could get by now with craftmen between lvl70-80.
When money is no longer an issue, just buy every items/recipes NPCs want to sell you

Thug:
Don’t accept Thug when one first come to shop, it’s rather useless and will just increase salary.
Thug gets its levels very slowly so you will usually recruit better ones instead.
Unlike crafters, thug abilities are real time based so if you are active player then income from thug is insignificant.

Improvements:
As first improvements I took the extra shops, other good improvements are for extra customers/questers and increasing cooperation/learning skills (around 15% with last back store carpet)
Bottleneck of improvement is carpenter. For information while nearly all my recipe researches are done, my improvements are not close to that yet.
I read that latest improvements require a few sorceress points and last shop improvements are token only but I am not there yet anyway.

NPC quests:
For those who have seen Yes Man movie just do like Carl.
For the otehrs say Yes or eventually come back later if you are short on funds.
This will open quests later on, sometimes more than 300 ingame days later though.

Rare materials:
Quests through adventurer skill will be your main way of getting rare materials without tokens.

Guilds:
Guilds are mainly for improvements, so don’t join one until you need improvement points.
At start you can join temporary guild to trade points with another player. (Create it, exchange points then leave it).
Guilds have a daily fee cost. It is based on number of players within guild.
Note: refresh button on guild screen doesn’t show latest fee, you have to refresh the whole game to see it.
I created my guild soon after starting to play but joining a good guild is probably easier than creating it.

Achievements:
There are hidden achievements, that usually do not bring any reward.
If you are an overachiever here are a couple of achievements you probably won’t be able to get in late game:
High roller: unconfirmed – I don’t have it, apparently it could be ending a day with less than 50 gold without getting bankrupted.
Price shopper: sell 10 items below market value in one day. I get it without really looking for it.
Profiteer: sell 10 items over market value in one day. Doing it while having buff from cleaning street quest can be a good idea.

You can also check edgebee forums or swords and potions wiki for more information.
And finally, if you go bankrupt (never happened to me) you will not get back used tokens so try to avoid it :)

Flag Post

+1, Very insightful, good job on the guide.
If anyone needs more detailed help this guide covers more advanced info on top my own own guide.
For the people who are in need ultimate beginner guide make sure to check this out as well:

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/78-swords-potions/topics/173339-guide-the-ultimate-guide-for-beginners

Flag Post

bless guide. thanks man

Flag Post

Also, about haggling. Sorceress items have about ~20% success rate for EACH class, so if you dont have anything better, just push your best sorc item to the client.

Flag Post

Great guide, definitely wish I could have read this when I first started.

Flag Post

High roller is losing all money then using tokens or fire sale to save yourself :D

Flag Post

high roller is wrong i had 1 coin above bankrupt and dont have it

Flag Post

as your second worker ALWAYS pick carpenter

he sucks bad, but he is necessary later on, when you build improvements. basically other players only want carpenter points for trade…
ppl with carpenters only trade with other carpenters.

so without tokens or carpenter you will never get other 2 shops

Flag Post

Some advanced game mechanics to complete
I am level 120, craftmen level 60-70 and i put 60 in adventurer/50 in mercantile(maybe higher player can give a long term view)

1) goal of the game ? : reach higher level = higher and higher sales. Not profit. Just sales.

2) How to sell? You need items to sell. rewards as money are profits not sales.
3 ways to get items
A) to craft them >> good for beginner, sucks at mid level, i wonder for high level.
i will not have level 100 craftmen before a while. they will have good recipe at level 100 but it will take too much time to reach that points… For the moment, crafting is useless for sales. i only craft mana vial, rich clothes and basic stuff like that. i give them to adventurer.
The only good craft need rare material that you receive as reward of questing adventurer. So craft useless without quest.
B) to buy them from adventurers that come sometimes in your shop >> useless for beginner, mandatory at mid level and higher.
that s my biggest sales. Not so much profit as i buy all of them , whatever the price.
C) to get them as reward from questing adventurers >> good for beginner but no more items at higher level
with enough adventurer skill, the adventurer accept 100% vial of mana. all of them. that means they leave without unhappy face. Then they come back with success more than 50%. On success you ll receive money, rare materials nad stuff to sale. at shop level 100, you ll get money quite all the times.

3) Some others things to know :

A) skills :
upgrade adventurer then mercantile when success rate for questing is enough. 1 in each should be fine.
At the moment, i could say that mercantile is the most important skill as i can sell at very high price the items i buy. It is more than 50% of my sales.

B) Another thing is that at this point, customers always ask for what i have already crafted except 4-5 items which are the ones i can buy from adventurer. Do not try to keep one item of each , it is bad. craft only the better ones 20 times or more.

C) How to get money?
at the begging, take sorceress/carpenter. sorceress will craft stuff for quest adventurer. for carpenter buy the token shield recipe (the one with no rare materials). sell that shield to every one that could buy a shield (no 0% suggest).
at level 70, questing adventurers will bring you back more money that you can spend.

Flag Post

I’m just bumping this because its a really good guide that I’ve referred people to many times.

Flag Post

Weird guide, I very nearly do the exact opposite of what he says, and am doing very well. My profit rises by over 5k a week at lvl 40.

Flag Post

I am just wondering, if you are level 100, and have high level craftsmen, whats the price of hightier items without tokens ? 1k ? 2k ? 10k ?

Flag Post

The high roller acheivement is going bankrupt and living through it with either $ or fire sale

Flag Post

age you need to go bankrupt 1 gold above bankrupt and you have to much money

Flag Post

So is it best to get sorc as a first crafter and carp as the second????

Flag Post

There isn’t a clear answer to this question. The game is beatable with all starting combinations. Otherwise it wouldn’t be possible to start with those combinations.
Most player had good experience with BS/Tailor for the start, because you can do some good quests early in the game and the quest reward can boost your shop. I also started with BS/Tailor and never faced bankruptcy. I wouldn’t recommend to start with sorc. Yes, you can sell her stuff to every customer, but the items of BS/Tailor/Carpenter are more important overall.

Flag Post

killeredge
sorc is better early in game. there is more demand in game for potions herbs and scrols than for shields clubs etc etc etc
well carp is better later in game carp is harder to lv but alot of ppl need the improvement points to upgrade thier store so its easier to trade later. and the items that carp creates later is also more profitable than serc ones

Flag Post

Yes, there is more demand for potions, herbs and scrolls, because you can suggest them to everyone, but you have to consider that the value is also important. Best item the sorc can made without rare materials is 1.5k. That isn’t a big deal.

Flag Post

but 1.5k is not that bad since the most money will come from quest
and if you have spended some points in silver tongue you can sell them for higher through hagling but silver togue also helps if you buy items from npcs you can get them cheaper this way.

Flag Post

so its either that combination listed above or tailor and bs????
Also if i choose the sorc and carp option should i go for silver tongue or famous, and later on adverturer or mercantile
Same for bs and tail

Flag Post

i would sugest investing first on silver tongue so you can convince more npcs to buy a diferent items they where first looking for than eather you should choose mercantile or adventure since its not that big diference in the end.

Flag Post

Well, I’m lvl 35, with starting BS/Carp, followed by Sorc and Tailor at lvl 52,48,40 and 29. On day 350+ after spending some gold on recipes,improvements and resource bins, I landed at 10k gold.
For over 10 days I’ve been fighting to stay afloat, with an inventory filled with weapons, instruments, herbs,potions and couple of 800g tailor crafts. Yet all the customers are asking for are amulets, crap I can’t craft yet and rarely, stuff i can sell but at nearly half price.
Skills are at 10 famous, 10 silver tongued and 18 merchantile.

TL;DR Start however you want, but always try to keep 20-30k gold after the quests, else you might run out of luck .

Flag Post

True words. You have to consider: Customer will always ask mostly for the stuff you don’t have or you aren’t able to made. That is how this game works. Early game, mid game, late game. Doesn’t matter… So, always having a gold buffer is a really good advice. With a bit discipline you never will go bankrupt.

In your case VNPowa: Maybe boosting mercantile early in this game wasn’t the best idea. A few points in the adventurer skill can make you a good second gold source. Mercantile is more effective in the late game, because it is based on percentages and this makes a bigger difference if an item is 50k worth instead of 500 gold. ( I am not saying Mercantile is a bad skill, but more a mid/late game skill. I put 150 points in it at the moment at level 270).

Flag Post

The guide is very good. Yet one thing is still unclear to me. Maybe its my English, so maybe someone can explain it to me:
“Take care when picking crafters, you can change them right at the beginning without too much trouble but later on you will see that all the crafters wanting to join are bad.
They will have higher level than yours but crafting stats are worse.”
Its very general tip. As far as I played starting worker points were 46 (+2 every level). Will incoming apprentices have more or less points at the begining? What does it mean to take care. Should I switch to new guys as soon as they show up?

Wikia strategy Guide says something like this (for few first weeks to play):
“-Don’t train your workers yet! Keep them producing really basic, quick to make stuff until you have 10k profits! "
My another question is connected to one before : What to do?
- Should I not train them because they are going to be replaced anyway (by better applicants)?
- OR Should I not train them because they will be too expensive at the begining.

Flag Post

Because they are too expensive at the beginning. The idea is not “never” levelling your worker, but right at the start you should be careful. But if you get the feeling that your sales increase it is no problem to level up. The most money is wasted by new player who join a guilde on level 3. Get at least your 3rd workshop with trading, instead of a guild.

You should do it like the guide recommends:
- At the beginning be careful with the level ups, only level up if you have the feeling that your sales increase or if you have a good gold buffer
- After you get the first quest rewards, don’t spend the money on the new workshop. Give the money to quest givers and save up a gold buffer
- Then level up your worker
- After that: If a worker comes in with a comparable level and better stats, then hire him (never happened to me)