ProTips: Collaborating on Games

22 posts

Flag Post

As a means of helping each other out in this forum, I’m opening this sticky up to public suggestions in regards to collaborating on game development projects for Kongregate.

If you have experience collaborating and would like to leave some tips for newcomers, feel free to share your tips. Please do not include specifics on individuals/companies but use it for general advice. Try to keep the comments as positive and professional as possible.

If we have good response, we will try to update this thread with the top tips for easy viewing.

Flag Post

[reserved]

Flag Post

[reserved]

Flag Post

[reserved]

Flag Post

If you would like, DavidArcila and I can write up a similar thread to the Falling Debris, A successful collab thread. He was the artist in that game collab, and he worked with me on our most recent game, Spin the World. It was a bigger step up from the Falling Debris collab, and from that collab (~3,000 views total + $x) to this collab (~70,000 views total + $xxx), it might be useful to pick out what started making the game collab better.

Flag Post

This is mainly for brief, bullet point type tips that can be quickly scanned by those looking to work with others here but may not know they always needs to ask particular questions, etc. You’re still free to write up a separate thread or leave some tips here (or both!), but I’d like to keep this one a little more straightforward and light reading.

Flag Post

Ok, well, I’ll start with what I have so far.

1. Communication – Recommended everyday. Use MSN, so you can get realtime chat. Having a mailing system doesn’t really cut it. It will slow your project down.
2. Team Planning – Writing it down on a text file is great. Now make the step up. Try an online project manager and planner like Wedoist. Its really stepped up productivity, allowing all team members to see what needs to be done and when.
3. Deadlines – Stick to them. Write them down in your team planning. Don’t keep pushing back stuff.
4. Start easy – If its your first, second, and maybe even third collab, trying to built Gemcraft with your online pals probably isn’t going to work. Pick something that is simple, that you know all team members can do without much trouble. Yes, it might look lame in a few years, but you’ve got to start somewhere.
5. Confidence – Build up trust in your teammates that they will deliver what is needed on time and at the standards that are needed. By doing #4, its really easy to also do this.

Flag Post

A good idea is showing some of your code, a screen shot, a demo, or a project outline to show that you’re serious.

Flag Post

I have a question. Do all the creators (Collaborators) get a D for developer? Also, do we both get points for the game when it gets good or something? Please answer this! kthx.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Hunter247:

I have a question. Do all the creators (Collaborators) get a D for developer? Also, do we both get points for the game when it gets good or something? Please answer this! kthx.

I don’t want to encourage spam, but:

you only get D for uploading. Collaborators have a contribution section in their profile. Revenue is split personally by the uploading account.

Flag Post

Thanks. :) Just wondering is all.

Flag Post

It scould be a pathern on wich post on this topic scould be , somting like :
1. Enter a brief introduction of yourself(age,name bla bla)
2. Enter a brief portofolio of yourself( upload a picture of artwork if your an artist,a link to a soundstrack if your musician and a link to a demo if your a programmer)
3. Enter what your seeking(coder,artist,sfx,music,voice acting,writer blah blah)
4. Enter aditional details about what you want to build (screenschots,concept art,blah blah)

Flag Post

Does anyone have some tips on getting better commitment from online collabs? I do just about everything for my games except sounds, so for my most recent game I’ve been trying to find a sound person. I’ve had four people commit to doing the sounds and all four have in turn backed out or disappeared.

Flag Post
Originally posted by qwerber:

Revenue is split personally by the uploading account.

So how do I split the revenue? I have uploaded a colabed game but can’t figure this out… need help

Flag Post

get the money via check paypal etc, then give it to the guy.

Flag Post

Some tips

1. Create a private forum (free) just for the team
  2. Search for people from different websites (armorgames, kongregate, other forums)
  3. Create a chat or use MSN or a similar chat browser to get communication
  4. Do something: You cannot be the “leader” if you dont help
  5. Know some basic game programming
  6. If there are lots of people helping in the game, select a leader for each zone (a leader for sounds, a leader for storyline, etc)
  7. Dont start with nothing: Tell people the basic idea of the game
  8. Write the introduction of the storyline (if it is a MMORPG or a similar game)
  9. Start to work. There are games (like MMORPG) in which you will need money (to buy servers, tools, etc)
  10. Mantain the group of people interested and happy.
  11. Work work and work (even in weekends)

Flag Post

Before posting a collaboration request, there are a few things that I think clearly separate a “Game Concept” from a “Mental Picture”. The programmer will NEED these things, or they will be forced to make them up.
1. What type of game is this? RPG, TD, Puzzle, MMO, Empire, Platformer, kleptomaniac, etc
2. What is the perspective? Top Down, Side View, Isometric (aka 2.5D), Sliding art, etc
3. Have a list of all items, pieces (if puzzle), NPC, monsters, etc.
4. If there is interaction that involves math (attack vs defense, etc) then it helps to have that worked out. In games where there is a ton of math, this really needs to be documented before that can be programmed. At least detail which parts involve math.
5. Art Style, Storyline, Music, etc What style and what inspiration? What pay?

I’m hoping that this is a fairly complete proposal if you read the linked document in the first post. The links in the second post are references. The spreadsheets should be included, but since it is a web based remake of an ancient DOS game (Master of Magic) the spreadsheets should come from the game manuals, the game itself, etc.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

What if one needs a coder and sound person (and possible help with integration of artwork)? It sounds as if one would have a hard time getting a game from idea to game as only an artist (w/o Flash as well). If you cannot tell from my level (or speech), I r nooB

Flag Post

Hey guys,

I’ve also written a guide about leadership in non-profit-project game development. It’s out of date, as I have been in development with my project over a year by now (guide mentions 8 months), but many points still apply.

http://www.moddb.com/forum/thread/guide-how-to-be-a-good-leader

You can also check out my project right here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/mindworld-shattered-dreams

Best wishes
Kjell

Flag Post

Well, it doesn’t appear this was used a whole ton. I’ma unsticky this and try to get some new tips written up in a new thread.

Flag Post

Tip for Tips: try to put as litle txt as posible, beginer dont like to read just to spam colab theards with no real chance of finding help