The True Story of a Collab with Four Artists page 2

56 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by truefire:

I have a “Source Code Stats” Plugin for FD that does it for me.

Also tells me how many are comments or whitespace.

Real men Those who lack OOP abilities program up to 20,000+ lines of code

Depends on the size of the game sir :)

Flag Post

HTML5/JS/PHP/MySQL Empire game project:
Core PHP: 5905 total
old PHP: 3673 total
buildings PHP: 802 total

My Map is the biggest JS file and about 500 lines are JS, some jQuery which is extremely dense. My comments are all on the same line, almost no newlines as whitespace. Most of my SQL is a single line calling custom functions like “getmerow” which returns a single row from a database as an associated array, or false if there was no data. I think version 1.0 will have 4 times as much code, this is a playable v0.2 right now.

Flag Post
Originally posted by truefire:

I have a “Source Code Stats” Plugin for FD that does it for me.

Also tells me how many are comments or whitespace.

As well as hardly ever using linebreaks, I hardly ever use comments :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:

I hardly ever use comments :D

Really?

Remind me not to collab with you. Now that I think about it, that describes almost all the programmers I’ve worked with so far.

Flag Post

I never use comments unless I’m collabing, in which case I probably overcomment.

Flag Post

I never use comments when I’m coding by myself, because I can usually decode my sloppy coding style.

This is my first collab, but saybox is a good friend of mine, so we talk enough to make up for the lack of comments we both make in the game. Discussing our goals and recent code that we wrote is a decent alternative to commenting on everything on the actual file, I think.

Flag Post

I use comments if I’ve written something I know i’ll need to reuse, or that someone else needs to be able to understand (ie they’ll have to edit or reuse it). The rest of the time its faster not to bother, just like I often don’t bother with linebreaks :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by SkaterFly:
I never use…
Wild skaterfly appeared!

Go! Charizard!

Charizard used flamethrower! It's a critical hit! 123 damage!

Enemy skaterfly flinched.

Truefire throws a great ball!

*doop*

*doop*

*poof*

Aww! It appeared to be caught.

Enemy skaterfly used body slam! 10 damage!

Enemy skaterfly is hit with recoil. 3 damage!

Enemy skaterfly fainted!

*victory music*

Noooo… I was so close!

Flag Post

Here is our game!

Flag Post

Thanks for the insight saybox. May I ask, do your artists collaborate together during the art process or is it an individualized process?

Flag Post

It helps for them to see the rest of the art, so they can style match. We didn’t manage to get that done at the start, so some of the art doesn’t totally match up, although I don’t think it’s hugely noticeable if you dont know how many artists were working on it.

In general though, once an artist knows the style and knows what they need to draw, there’s no real need for them to collaborate with each other over it. Our artists each worked on separate parts of the game anyway, and they all had access to the beta, so they could see how the art was going to be used once it was done.

Flag Post

really addictive game. I dont generally play idle games but this game has me hooked. nice job there.

Flag Post

lol, opp can be such a bother though

Flag Post

AWESOME FREAKING GAME!!! My son actually found Pingu one day on netflix and DEMANDED to watch it… now I’m hooked as well! I thought I had seen them all until I played this game and played the movie theater and saw all the additional episodes that they don’t carry… I LOVE THE MOVIES! and fishing, gambling, the stock-market type fish-market… well you get the idea! BEST IDLE game I’ve played! it’s all well done, the only issue I’m seeing is the half-hour prize fish gifts keep disappearing while I’m playing… they are there for about 15 mins and then poof Pinga ate em I guess…
P.S. my son is only 3 and is now demanding that I play your game so he can watch the videos… he finds them unacceptable via youtube directly! You guys make an awesome team and you’ve definitely put your hours in and I’m commend that you’re still going and upgrading as the game grows! amazing work, wish I could donate to you but I barely made my rent this month… good news for you is that I’ll probably still be playing when I get paid next!
~Zebster

Flag Post

Did you take the penguin image from Learn To Fly?

Flag Post

No? They’re quite different, other than both being penguins. For a start, the penguin in Learn to Fly is seen from the side. Here’s a comparison:

Flag Post

hmmm, why does it do nothing when i click play movie, it says movie playing and then stops, nice game though :D

Flag Post

Gameplay is decent but the grapich part of the user interface is horible, newertheless good job. This is only my opinion.

Flag Post

No? They’re quite different, other than both being penguins. For a start, the penguin in Learn to Fly is seen from the side. Here’s a comparison:

The Learn To Fly penguin is seen from the front on the title screen and some of the cut scenes. It’s eerily similar to yours.

Here’s a quick comparison screenshot I took:

You can see the exact same body shape, the eyes are both black with white pupils in the top left, they both have highlighting down the left side of their head body, same wing shape, same white belly shape. I’m very sceptical this is just a coincidence.

Flag Post
Originally posted by oscarwilld:

The Learn To Fly penguin is seen from the front on the title screen and some of the cut scenes. It’s eerily similar to yours.

You can see the exact same body shape, the eyes are both black with white pupils in the top left, they both have highlighting down the left side of their head body, same wing shape, same white belly shape. I’m very sceptical this is just a coincidence.

SO its a story of a colab with 4 art tiefs ?

Flag Post
Originally posted by oscarwilld:

Now try actually looking at the screenshot you posted.
1/ The beak shape is different.
2/ the eye color is different.
3/ The left hand shine on ours is a different shape.
4/ The left hand shine on ours also extends along his whole left side, including his flipper; the other one doesn’t.
5/ The L2Fly screenshot doesn’t have half his body or any feet.
6/ The angle of his chest coloring is different.
7/ Our penguin has a pencil thin black outline around him.
8/ Our penguin’s flippers are outlined.
9/ Our penguins flippers are a different shape.
10/ Our penguin’s flippers are detachable, since he waves them in the air when you level up.
11/ The height dimensions between the chest and the top of the penguin’s head are different.

They don’t even look the same when you put them next to each other like that. I can see why some people might have seen similarities between them without seeing them side by side, but they’re pretty clearly not the same penguin once you look at them next to each other.

Flag Post

The black outline and the shine are different, otherwise they look identical. Ask your artist about it, see what he has to say.

Flag Post

They’re pretty obviously not identical.

Flag Post

They quite obviously ripped off the linux penguin, as they are clearly identical. Sure the highlighting is different and the colours are off and the distance between the top of the white and his head is different and the shape of his feet is different, but quite clearly you can see they’re the same basic shape and have the same basic features: two eyes, two flippers, two feet, a beak, grey body and white front, a highlight, etc.

There is some serious copyright and trademark infringement going on here.

Flag Post

next time draw a square penguin or ask for penguin rights over linux hahahaha