Looking for decent sprite animator

8 posts

Flag Post

I’ll skip the professional make-believe and be frank…

Im an ambitious programmer and musician with no practical game development experience. Im looking for a half decent artist to help me complete a project of mine (currently unnamed) which I’ve been designing in my head since I was seven.

You probably won’t be paid, because the game will likely never be made, even less likely that it will generate sufficient funds.

The game is a 2d side-scrolling RPG, very much influenced by Pac-Man, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Mega Man. The setting is centered around a primitive people who’ve kept peace by harnessing the mystical powers of the ‘Ancient Coconut of Sorts’. The Coconut has been stolen by an mad-scientist known as ‘ominous’, and the village is at the brink of war.

You play as Muhlando, a cool-headed and thoughtful monkey, and the unlikely protector of the Coconut. You trek your way through various settings (village, jungle, city, and laboratory) to retrieve the Coconut, only to find that it has no mystical powers and has only kept peace through superstition.

Anyway, if you’d like to take a chance with me, let me know =]

Flag Post

I like that your up front about this and honest about the games prospects. While I can’t help, I wish you the best and hope you find someone to help!

Flag Post

Thank you! I’ll keep trying =]

Flag Post

I also like it that you are frank and realistic about your expectations. It’s kind of refreshing to see in these forums. That said, when you wrote that you were making an RPG, warning sirens started sounding in my head. RPGs tend to require a lot more art assets than, say, a platformer or match-3 game.

Can you list the type and number of art assets that you will need to implement the basic game play? When I say “basic game play,” I mean the bare essentials needed to make a single level without having to go through menus and other doodads. If you won’t need too many art assets, perhaps we can strike a deal. I could use some free music, if you’re willing to pay in kind.

Flag Post

I liked the honesty too. Unfortunately, you also shot yourself in the foot with this line: “You probably won’t be paid, because the game will likely never be made, even less likely that it will generate sufficient funds.”

If you don’t believe in your project, nobody else will. You can’t go around asking for help for a game that “will likely never be made” and expect people to volunteer their time to it. Why should they? If this project means something to you, make it happen. The people who have the most success here, be they artists or programmers, are the ones who post threads stating: “Here’s what I have: [links]. I need your help to take it to the next level.”

In order to recruit partners, here or anywhere else, you need to show two things: competence and commitment. Show you are capable of doing your share (through examples of previous work, or a significant contribution to the current project) and show you are committed to seeing the project through. Then you’ll find someone. Best of luck.

Flag Post

Congratulations, Even Ace liked your post, you’re ahead of 90% of the posts here.

I do like your plane game and the concept of enemies dodging your shots.
Also, that is actually a nice story.

I’m honestly only good with animating bouncing boobs.

But if all else fails and you need to do it yourself, I can guide you through basic animation techniques, or at least be your dictionary for words to search in google.

Flag Post

^ never underestimate the power of boobs to increase ratings.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Epsellis:

I’m honestly only good with animating bouncing boobs.

You’re hired!

Oh wait, I’m not the OP. :P