New Flash TowerDefense Project (locked)

42 posts

Flag Post

And what exactly are YOU doing?

Flag Post

He claims to have been working in this all summer and that he has the skills to fill all the positions himself. This isn’t the kind of project that is impossible to completely do in a few months on your own if you are reasonable with the scope and modest with your aims, so he should at least have a working prototype by now if he wants us to take him seriously.

So lets see it OP, show us your demo, maybe some concept art or a design document.

Flag Post

@RTL_Shadow I’m assuming your asking what part I’ll be playing in developing the game after signing on a few more members of the team. I’ll probably be doing what I’ve been doing lately, which is flash design/animation and Photoshop. The games GDD is roughly 99% finished which is one thing I’ve been working on, however I created the GDD in terms of design and not with values that can be comparable with AS3 yet that’s why after I gain a programmer ill be working with them so I can change the values to actual values that can be used in a AS3 game engine, but these are only minor things. There’s a great deal of flash and animation left to do and Photoshop I haven’t touched yet other then practice. So along with that I’m going to be project manager assigning tasks to be dealt with and also assisting with advice if necessary. As manager ill be working with the whole group relaying everything back to the programmer (or programmers if necessary) to get them the files and information they need to finish the game.

@draganviper first off I’m a she, and I started working on this project in June. I don’t think I stated that i have all the skills necessary for the development of this project but I have a good few, but i have never learned coding, I’m more of an artist, and recently when I tried to learn coding everything that could have gotten in my way, did get in my way. But I can flash design, animate, graphic design, and game design but I wont be publicizing my games GDD till after the projects compete, only team members will I allow to see and use it, I’m just a lil insecure that way. As for are I do have some to offer, nothing but WIP’s currently but they are flash designs I made for the project. I have more but these are what I’ve made public http://twitpic.com/apoc2n http://twitpic.com/aoewnz http://twitpic.com/amyc8r . As for what’s finished so far, I have a 99% finished GDD for my games first installment and even some for later ones, I also have all of the entities within my games tutorial designed in flash. At this point it should be possible for a prototype to be made, but all I need is a programmer for that.

Thank you for your input; I patiently await more responses and applications. :)

Flag Post

Just saying, there are more people with ideas than people who can make graphics and there are more people who can make graphics than people who can program, and there are more people who can program than people who can make music. I strongly recommend you to learn one of the less popular skills for future use.

I’m a game programmer, feel free to add me on skype and ask if you have any questions/need help. Check your PM box for more info)

Flag Post

Hello there! please excuse our skepticism, This is due to the streak of self proclaimed CEOs lately.
Hence the attitude towards large teams. so don’t worry.

I do like how you try to keep the game small.
while I have nothing to offer, I wish you the best of luck.

@QWERBER – can i add you too?

please?

Flag Post
Originally posted by qwerberberber:

Just saying, there are more people with ideas than people who can make graphics and there are more people who can make graphics than people who can program, and there are more people who can program than people who can make music. I strongly recommend you to learn one of the less popular skills for future use.

I’m a game programmer, feel free to add me on skype and ask if you have any questions/need help. Check your PM box for more info)

I’ve always found it much more difficult to find artists than programmers D:

Flag Post

Hello, thank you for writing. I’ve had situations similar to what qwerberberber is describing, though I don’t find that being able to have an “idea” is necessarily the same as being able to design a game. When I started bout a year ago from just waking up one morning and deciding I’m going to design games my first ambition was light-years beyond me and my GDD was a jumble mess of math and totally unrelated things that shouldn’t have graced such a document. i feel now I’m far more successful at writing a technical document like that since I finally decided to pick up a book on the subject and read it.

But honestly I think it just depends on where your looking, here there may be artists few and far between while other sites have them struggling just to be seen (been there, done that). That’s why I’m advertising in multiple places (ya I didn’t just post here) so that my general search for half a team can produce a verity of able participants.

Thanks again for your replies, grateful for your respectful nature so far. Hoping for more and maybe a application.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ArchFiendAF:

Hello, thank you for writing. I’ve had situations similar to what qwerberberber is describing, though I don’t find that being able to have an “idea” is necessarily the same as being able to design a game. When I started bout a year ago from just waking up one morning and deciding I’m going to design games my first ambition was light-years beyond me and my GDD was a jumble mess of math and totally unrelated things that shouldn’t have graced such a document. i feel now I’m far more successful at writing a technical document like that since I finally decided to pick up a book on the subject and read it.

But honestly I think it just depends on where your looking, here there may be artists few and far between while other sites have them struggling just to be seen (been there, done that). That’s why I’m advertising in multiple places (ya I didn’t just post here) so that my general search for half a team can produce a verity of able participants.

Thanks again for your replies, grateful for your respectful nature so far. Hoping for more and maybe a application.

If you could point me towards where I might find some of these artists I would be most appreciative.

Flag Post

@draganviper Well I can imagine deviant art has artists of many shapes and forms, but mot of my art contacts fall into flash artists who circle around this flash game called adventurequestworlds, and that community. I’ve seen freelance flash artists from all lvl’s of skill trying to get into that games design team and getting so such chances. A few of them would be unwilling to part from that goal without money being involved but they know they are probably just wasting time and effort, so if you can offer them better opportunities good luck with that. Main reason I haven’t taken many of them on is im never in there faces with offering to them so i just sit back and post ad’s that no one makes a 2nd glance at. And I also don’t need artists as bad as i do a programmer.

Flag Post

@Dragan – I would say Deviantart, Lots of new artists there. most of it is anime though but once you’re in the right section, there’s lots of everytype.

@ArchFiend I did play a little of their mech series, on which part of the forums did you meet these artists?

Flag Post

@epsellis actuly met most on twitter

Flag Post

Can you get your graphic asset requirements down to something that can be accomplished with just you and a programmer? Perhaps your design can grow later if a first version is completed?

Flag Post

@andersonalex Can you be more specific in your question? I’m not sure what you mean, my games design wont be growing any at all at this point, its finished, it only requires being turned into graphics and programming.

Flag Post

I mean that I see you’re looking to assemble a small team, which suggests that you think it might be a bit much for just yourself and one programmer. So I’m wondering if you see a way to adjust the design for a first version that would allow you to complete all of the graphic assets and scripting involved for the level design, etc. by yourself. In other words, is there a way to make 2 people be enough. That often makes the difference between whether a project comes together or not.

Flag Post

@andersonalex Well I should be able to complete most of the graphics for the first installment in a fair month of dedicated work, its only 25 towers, and somewhere around that many enemies and units, and 12 backgrounds, and some npc art and the hud along with animations. i think i can do that and i do have a few team members already, a writer and a animator, but it would help my moral to have some extra graphic artists.

Flag Post

So I’m experimenting with this thing called stencyl now, so if I get to the point I can make my game entirely from that i wont need a programmer, but ill be still looking for one till that time comes.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Epsellis:

@Dragan – I would say Deviantart, Lots of new artists there. most of it is anime though but once you’re in the right section, there’s lots of everytype.

@ArchFiend I did play a little of their mech series, on which part of the forums did you meet these artists?

Anime style art is my favorite. I don’t understand why there’s seems to be such a backlash against it whenever I suggest it to people I know >.>

I think I’ll take a look.

Flag Post

@draganviper, ive been working on trying to fuse heavy realism and anime styles together myself, i like that style most i spose.

Flag Post

i supose if i cant find i programmer, an expert with stencyl would suffice to atleast teach me what i am doing. cuz im only a lil less lost then when i tried reguler programming xD

Flag Post

i supose if i cant find i programmer, an expert with stencyl would suffice to atleast teach me what i am doing. cuz im only a lil less lost then when i tried reguler programming xD

http://blog.publysher.nl/2012/04/tutorial-creating-tower-defense-game-in.html

There, a step by step tutorial specifically for making tower defense games in Stencyl, and it even comes with example code and a working demo file as a starting point. Really can’t do much better than that on a casual search.

Flag Post
Originally posted by draganviper:
Originally posted by qwerberberber:

I’ve always found it much more difficult to find artists than programmers D:

Indeed. Artists seem to be difficult to locate.
Originally posted by Epsellis:

Too many ponies *shudders*

Flag Post

Deviantart has lots of everything except hentai.

It really depends on what you go around looking for.
I’ve been there for years and I haven’t seen any more ponies than say, photos of empty bottles.

Flag Post

I’m hardly an expert, but if you have more questions on using Stencyl, you can post them on the Stencyl forum. I’ll answer them if I can. Besides, it would be refreshing to see posts other than the ones by scammers spammers trying to lure people to their live streaming websites.

Flag Post

Thanks for the tut draganvaper, while i really didn’t wanna resort to using one I guess if I’m going to make any progress its the next step.

And I didn’t know this place had a scammer spammer issue o.o figured you had mods for that. I was just suggested to come here by a friend of mine who uses this site a while back when I started this project to look for help. Took me so long to actually start because I’m nervous bout being a stranger in a strange land xD but thanks elyzius, if I have questions i know to take them there :)

Flag Post

Hmm… Sadly, I’m busy working on my own projects right now, but I’m pretty sure I could find at least one coder who’d be willing to work with you.
~J.