RTS/VN Programmer looking for artist

12 posts

Flag Post

I may be a relatively new member of kongregate here, but I’ve been making my 1st project for a few months now. And I think it’s about time I scout for an artist.

This is the current project I’ve been working on so far:

http://ssdrwh0shop.webs.com/

This is what I need from an artist:

- Sprite animation (for all units)
- Background Art
- Visual Novel Character Art
- Other artwork required (like menus, user interfaces, e.t.c)

What you will be expecting to get if you decided to help me:

- Unfortunately, I don’t have much to offer except for the revenue shares. I know it’ll be hard to find a good artist, but I’m getting close ot the point that a good artist is required.

More information can be found though this contact detail:

- ssdrwh0@gmail.com

What the games going to be about:

This game is set in the Victorian ages about two young siblings, Alice and Calvin, finding a book that belongs to someone else. Calvin decided to use the book for himself, ending up with his town destroyed by an army of Goblins he summoned.

The siblings ran off, ashamed of what they’ve done. A few moments later, the siblings are found to be attacked by minions of a powerful wizard called Dominicus, and he wants what’s rightfully his.

Edit: No one will know my stealth changes! Muahahahaha!!!

Flag Post

Nice prototype. I am no artist, so I won’t be applying for the job, but I noticed while playing that the units were trained one at a time, regardless of what was in the queue. It discourages diversity, in that once the player has decided on which is the most powerful unit for its cost, they just spam it and go get a cup of coffee. Any deviation from “spam the best unit” is sub-optimal because building a different unit halts production of the best units. If you allow concurrent building of several unit types, by having one building queue for each unit type, then spamming the best unit becomes suboptimal if SP accumulate faster than they can be spent on best units. It would add a (small) strategic dimension to the game. Just my $0.02.

Flag Post

I’ll think carefully about that…

If any1 hasn’t noticed btw, the game is loosely based on stick war (since you can only build one unit at a time in that game)

Flag Post

Hmm. Your prototype certainly has potential, and the game’s premise is interesting.

I’m kind of an all-around guy as far as game making is concerned – artist, programmer, and — if you’re terribly, absolutely desperate for any kind of music — composer as well. I’m intrigued enough with your game to put the one I’m making in the backburner.

Check out my avatar. It’s a work-in-progress that I’m making in 3DS Max. If you want more examples of my art, you can find some in my deviantart account. I’ve been told that my art is creepy, but I assure you, I can do silly cartoon art as well. Check out my reply to this thread for proof.

What art style are you looking for? Since your game is partly a VN, are you looking for manga art? That seems to be popular with the VN crowd. Or do you prefer some other style?

But perhaps the most important question is, what revenue share are you offering?

(Btw, I’m just one volunteer. If other artists want to offer their services, they should feel free to do so.)

Flag Post

For sprite animation, maybe half manga-ish and half simple.

Background can have decent details.

For partial VN, Manga-style art would b recommended, unless doing manga art hinders your art style of course!

As for revenue, I can’t give you an exact percentage (due to some other people I asked for may not be involved), but the percentage will be based on how many people are involed altogether (for example, 2 ppl helping me will be receiving a third of the revenue shares)

I’ll w8 for other artist to come here before I make my move.

Flag Post

It’s good to see more anime-based games!

Good luck with your project.

Flag Post

I don’t think the manga style would hinder me at all.

The above is just a quick sketch I did to see if I can do manga. I’m sure I can do better than this, given enough time.

Flag Post

You might want to try cell-shading it Elyzius.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Epsellis:

Is ‘cell shading’ something simple like using polygon framed hard shadows? I always had the impression to was some kind of special, difficult rendering algorithm the way magazines and such go on about it when it gets used for things like Windwaker or Okami.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Epsellis:

You mean like this?

Originally posted by draganviper:

Is ‘cell shading’ something simple like using polygon framed hard shadows? I always had the impression to was some kind of special, difficult rendering algorithm the way magazines and such go on about it when it gets used for things like Windwaker or Okami.

I never really thought of it that way, but yes, it’s something like that. Cel shading was the most practical way to shade 2D animations back in the days when everything was hand-painted. 3D animation made cel shading unnecessary, but some 3D games and TV shows make use of cel shading similarly to how some 2D games make use of pixel art even though the technology for more realistic bitmaps has been available for some time.

Flag Post

Hey, Well done!

There are many variants for “anime” style illustrations, some use gradients or different types of photoshop layers, Yet the style itself still clings heavily to the cel-shade.

simply put, You don’t have to cel-shade to cel-shade, you’re free to move around quite a bit.

Lastly, Anime character designs are practically just eyes and hair.
Here i’ll give the hair another layer of shadows
I’ve also tweeked the eyes a little and added really soft gradients here and there
oh…and the nose, we easterners have flat noses :P we mostly just use dots.

And WALA!

PS: Boobs too small, make them bigger

Flag Post

Hot damn, that hair looks so much better now. I also like the way you shaded the eyes. I’m gonna have to try making the same effect on my own. Thanks for the advice, Epsellis. :)