Programer needed by Watcher Studios

12 posts

Flag Post

The Studio
The Watcher Studios are a burgeoning team, trying to make it out there in the RPG scene. Our major task is to make games with enormous worlds, numerous quests, and an excellent storyline, next to the innovative combat and crafting systems.

The Team
The team currently consists of nine members :
-Two concept artists
-Two modelers
-One animator
-One sound technician, soundtracks developer
-One voice actor
-One advisor
-Producer (The creator of the game world, the general brainstormer, and also a hobbyist artist and music maker)

The Wanted List
Currently, the people we most need are programmers. Potential members (Programmers) should have at least some knowledge and experience with C#, which for now will be the game language.

Other people are also welcome with any of the before mentioned skills (Artists and Music makers), and also people with skill in Unity 3D.

History

The team formed somewhere around the end of September, 2012. Our original plan was to release one more game in RPG Maker VX, however, we scratched that idea, and moved to Unity 3D shortly after.

Our team is currently based in Belgrade, Serbia (With six members being here), however, our sound tech is from the Netherlands, and Avee, the advisor, is from Canada. Our voice actor is from the United States.

We are deeply inspired by works of high fantasy : The TES series, The Lord of The Rings, The Fable series, as well as some works of Serbian high fantasy. We are also inspired by the various mythologies spread throughout the world.

The Story

The game tells the story of Wair Crowcaller, a adventurer, and his band who suddenly betray him. The game’s main quest unveils the reason of the band’s betrayal, and those who poised them against Wair. The game will also have numerous side-quest, related or unrelated to the main story.

(Those who are interested will be thoroughly informed of the complete story)

The Game
The current game we are making is dubbed (for now):
Twisting Sands : A Tale of Betrayal

The game was intended to follow up to the Torin’ Chronicles saga (the producer’s past two games), but this is still disputed. The game may draw some historical facts from the past games.

Features
It is a bit hard to estimate all the features that will be taken out or added in now, but the current plan is the following :

-A wide and beautiful world, numerous feats of architecture in the cities, as well as a beautiful landscape, ranging from the green forests of the south, the bone-dry desert of Aslan-run, the jungles of the Geldar delta, and the chilling peaks of the White Peaks in the north.

-8 original classes, all with special skills depending on which alignment the player chooses.

-Original combat skills, ranging from athletic dodges and slashes of the Assassin, brutal pummeling strength of the Barbarian, or the mind-crushing wisdom of the Wizard.

-A great crafting system, with innovative mini-games, which will determine the strength and potency of your finished products.

-Travel around the Eastern Lands may vary on your class. Horses are readily available to all, but is your character an agile type? Climb around various environments! Or is he a Warrior? Push around some rocks! Wizard? Move them with your mind!

As I have mentioned before, the greatest impact on your game experience will be your class.

-Realistic behavior. Your character will have to eat, drink and sleep, just like you. Take care of yourself, or suffer the consequences.

(more will be added as the game progresses)

Payment
The game will be released commercially somewhere around the Q4 2013, as it is planned now.

All of the teams’ members will get their own cut if the game sells. That is the only form of payment I can offer.

So, if anyone is interested, post here or contact me privately via message.

Flag Post

Doesn’t sound like you’re ready for a programmer. If I were to join your team (and in that case, you’d have to axe the ‘advisor’ (useless), and put the ‘producer’ to work on something tangible, maybe he/she can be a sound technician assistant, but that’s another story) I’d need the game design document right away, so I can start working. Do you have anything that resembles a game design document done yet?

Barring a full-fledged description of all of the game specs in all the nitty-gritty details, I would need at the absolute least the following:

- A document explaining how the finished game should behave in all the nitty gritty details. Exactly what the player will be allowed to do and how the game will respond. For instance, you might start with the title screen and list every interactive element on that screen, how the player interacts with each of them, and what the results of each action should be. Repeat for every screen in the game. Travel, combat, shop, crafting, quest log, inventory, level-up, but also options, credits, death screen, intro and other cutoff scenes, victory screen, etc… This would tell me the high level connectivity of the game, how the different parts articulate together, and what information must be passed from one side to another so the whole works coherently.

- Another document explaining the rules of the game. Down to the last detail. Just browsing your post, there should all the detailed rules for: Classes, skills, alignment, combat (including dodge, slash, pummeling, strength, mind-crushing, wisdom), magic, wizards, crafting, detailed rules for each and every minigame!, strength of crafts, potency of crafts, travel, mounts, agility, climbing, warriors, scenery pushing/moving, eating, drinking, sleeping, and more as the game progresses. Frankly, when I see all of these already detailed at a level sufficient for a programmer to be able to actually implement everything, you can start thinking about adding more. Keep in mind, when I say ‘detailed’, I do mean detailed. As in, detailed enough that a computer can play the game, and they make no assumptions about anything and have zero imagination.

- Another document detailing the contents of the game. Again, you guessed it, down to the last detail. Environments. How many, where, exactly how do they affect the game mechanistically and visually. For instance, if you expect the combat screen to have a different border in the “bone-dry desert” and in the “chilling peaks” the programmer should know that, and know it early. Every possible opponent, of course, and every last number concerning them. Every quest, and every last detail about them. Every line of dialog, who speaks it, when, in what conditions. Every last item in the game with all of its stats and how they relate to the game rules. Every map, with the location of everything on the map. Enemies, items, movable scenery, static scenery, event trigger, you name it.

Once again, these documents are the bare minimum needed for a programmer to start working on your game. If you don’t have them done, asking for a programmer now is premature. You didn’t list a game designer in your team. I would normally take that as a good sign because it’s normally a euphemism for ‘idea guy with no skill’, but I suspect the ‘advisor’ and ‘producer’ are the useless idea guys in the team. But you do need someone to actually do the work of defining the game precisely. Since those two are otherwise useless, make them do it. Make them define and write down everything listed above, and then test it on paper and refine it for a couple of weeks so you don’t waste your programmer’s time with a broken system.

Good luck.

Flag Post

We appreciate your reply, Ace_Blue. However, you might have gotten the wrong idea. I might have mis-explained, the advisor is a dear friend of the producer and a writer, they generally focus on the game ideas. We, in fact need a programmer who would listen to our ideas and discuss whether that is or is not implementable into the game. You are a bit right about the whole details thing. We in fact, have a relatively small goal up first. The first area of the game is easy, with few enemies, and a small “world” up until a mountain pass which leads way to a more larger world. We plan to complete this by the end of the year, or by January 2013. However, a great piece of work will be required over the combat and crafting systems, and the producer will require a talk with a programmer to discuss what options will be implemented, and which will be taken out. This might explain some things. Are you actually a programmer, or not? If you are, and you are still interested, write to the producer at milos.macura3@yahoo.com

Thanks for the reply!
Igor, the Art Director

Flag Post

I am a programmer and I can tell you, from a programmer’s standpoint it doesn’t really matter if the world is three bathroom tiles big or the size of Rhode Island. It makes a difference for the people who create the assets, graphic artists, sound designers, but from the programmer’s standpoint, it’s all the same.

If one object in the world needs a particular mechanic, then the programmer has to create it. After that, applying it to every object in the world is about as easy as flipping a switch. So if you only want one quest, the programmer still has to implement the quest system. If you want just one enemy, the whole combat system still needs to be done, etc… You’re not really reducing the programmer’s burden by saying you want to start small geographically. Where you need to start small is mechanistically.

You expect a programmer to be found, join the team, get up to speed on the project, start implementing and finish the first part of your game in less than two months. I don’t believe these are realistic expectations. I’d recommend you start expanding your deadlines and truly reducing the expectations on your programmer. So cut the mechanics. Find the core one, the mechanic that makes the game tick. Keep that one. Cut everything else.

The way I look at it, I’d say once you have one naked guy who can run around an empty map and abstractly attack enemies that don’t move or fight back, then you have a sound base and you can start adding stuff. And don’t fool yourself: getting to that point is going to take work. Your programmer will have earned every penny you pay him by the time it gets to that point.

I’m not applying for the job, btw. I have a significant problem with people who are “a dear friend of the producer” in start-ups, and with the kind of people who put their “dear friend” on the payroll even though they have no marketable skill. It’s a sick dynamic that breeds resentment among the people who actually do the work, drains already limited resources, and compromises strategy with emotional issues. Basically, it’s a ticking drama bomb, and I wouldn’t be caught dead anywhere near it when it explodes.

To reiterate the important part of my previous post, though: Good luck!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Gigo1:

The Studio
The Watcher Studios are…

The Team
The team currently…

The Wanted List
Currently, the people…

Just surround the words you want bold in ’*’s, and the words you want to underline in ’+’s.

Flag Post

OK, Ace_Blue, thanks for explaining some things and the tips, but I think you should join the team chat tonight and see what we’re about. :) It’s not just about the money and the payrolles…the man is a proven and and educated writer and he is a great help for the storyline. We want this game to succeed by having a great captivating story, fun and interesting quests and characters… S..t man, I can’t be sitting around wandering what the characters are gonna talk about. Just like the rest of the team has other things to do. You can’t make a movie without a script. Just like you can’t make a good roleplaying game without one. Deadlines are just here to make us work faster and to represent a goal of a kind. They can be moved, we’re not a corporation, no heads will roll. :)

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

Flag Post

Ok, thanks MrTheSean. :)

Flag Post

We have had five people apply and 5 people drop out thinking it was too big of a project for them… Is there no one brave enough to join us on this quest?

Flag Post

I’ve sent an email to Milos with some comments. I mostly agree with Ace_Blue. It’s not realistic to aim at a 2 month development for the large portion of work to be done. I’ve offered my help as much as I can, since I still have to go to work every day. Most of the questions Ace_Blue proposed are a good way to start designing core features of the game.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Gigo1:

We have had five people apply and 5 people drop out thinking it was too big of a project for them… Is there no one dumb enough to join us on this quest?

FTFY

If you want this to work, kick out the producer, adviser, concept artists, make the modelers and animators do the same thing, and only get a voice actor after you have completed everything else

Flag Post

if you have had 5 programmers join and then leave because the project was too big then that should tell you something(ie that you need to give further information about what exactly will be expected of any programmers BEFORE they join, otherwise you will just continue to waste time having people joining and immediately leaving again)

Flag Post

Well some people with enough cojones did join and stay. Because they are not afraid to roll up their sleeves. People should not be afraid to take big steps, because that’s the only way to achieve something and the only way to learn something. So I’m just saying I’m sorry that people quit before they even try.

And yes, about the deadlines – they were realistic at the start of the project when we hoped it wouldn’t take so long to create a team. But deadlines can be changed, like I said before, it’s not a big deal.