I just launched a Social Network for Game Developers

12 posts

Flag Post
Hey all,

I've finally finished building the Beta version of my social networking site for game developers: http://www.develteam.com

I'm also an indie game developer, but I've found it difficult to find reliable people to work on games with, and so my idea for Develteam was born. I'm excited to finally launch this site, and look forward to its future evolution.

When you register, your account is a 'Developer' account. Any Developer can create development teams, or 'Devteams.' Using the invite system, the leaders of Devteams can bring new members on to the team and assign them roles in the various departments of game design. Leaders of Devteams can also create 'Game Projects,' which are the actual games you're working on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SITE FEATURES

Wall Feeds, Messaging, Notifications
-------------------------------------------
- The site has many Facebook-like features, such as wall feeds, notifications, and a messaging system.

- In addition to posting status updates, you can also post Blog entries right to your wall, with full features like text styling and embedding images, flash, and youtube clips.

- You can even 'pin' posts on your wall to ensure they're always at the top.

Site-Wide
-The site has a resources panel, with feeds to popular game development and industry news and Videos & Podcasts, as well as a Book Store with some of the best books on game development already listed. Later updates to Develteam will include user created tutorials.

- There are site-wide categorized Forums and Chatrooms.

-Chatrooms have some great collaboration features, such as Video/Audio Chat, White Boards, and Screen Sharing. Portfolios

-Each Developer can upload various types of media as Portfolio Pieces.

-Portfolios are similar to Facebook's Albums, except not only can you upload images and video,you can also upload Text Documents, Audio files, Flash SWFs, Archive Files (rar/zip), or embed your publicly shared Google Drives documents (allowing you to show off all sorts of file types not typically viewable in browsers).

Devteam and Game Project Features
- Each Devteam and Game Project have a 'Press Page,' which is a html-friendly dedicated page for posting whatever content you wish, to promote or show off your work

- Each Devteam and Game Project have a dedicated and private File Depot for sharing files between members.

- Each Devteam and Game Project also have their own Public and Private Forums. Initially, the forums are empty, but moderators of the group can create their own custom forum groups.

- Each Devteam and Game Project also have private chatrooms that only members of the group can see and join.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have many more features on the to-do list for the future, and I have a forum there for suggestions. There's also a forum for Bug reporting - since this is a one-man operation, I'm sure there are some bugs I haven't tracked down.

I look forward to some suggestions and criticisms, and most of all, some members! :)

Thanks, and I hope to see you there!

By the way, the site just launched today, so there isn't much content yet. I'm trying to get over that 'no users' hump that all social networking sites suffer from at the start.

Flag Post

Wow, this sounds and looks great! Good luck with it

Flag Post

So just some general question about your service and why people should be using it.

• Why should I have an account here if I can have a dev blog/website which showcases my work?
  • What “industry news & Videos & Podcasts” are available on your site that aren’t available in public?
  • Why should people use your Chatrooms/your service when other alternate, rooted (they’ve been going a while and have traction) services exist which do Screen sharing, chat, video, audio, whiteboards, etc.
  • How does a Press Page work if this is a game dev social network? Would it not be less useful than a more public page, on
    say, a different social network where more people (not just game devs) are at?
  • How is your service different from other team/collaboration services that have forums, project management, etc, like
    TeamLab?

Essentially,

• Why should someone pick you over the existing?

The feature sets are pretty much identical.

To answer these, I think you might like to check out the How great leaders inspire action TED talk.

Flag Post

Made an account. Seems simple and good, that’s what I like. I think this will succeed, since Kong is taking away it’s collab section.

Flag Post
Originally posted by oatlol:

Made an account. Seems simple and good, that’s what I like. I think this will succeed, since Kong is taking away it’s collab section.

kong is taking away colab section ??? o_O

Flag Post
Originally posted by lime69:
Originally posted by oatlol:

kong is taking away colab section ??? o_O

Yep

Flag Post

its only taking art and sound section colab remains

Flag Post
Originally posted by lime69:

its only taking art and sound section colab remains

- . -

Flag Post

Created an account on the 13th told it to remember me, it did until just now. I’m trying to log back in and it doesn’t work, any help appreciated
EDIT: Tried a few things and figured it out, when I created my caps lock was on, so it works now

Flag Post

I have to say, this is a wonderful way for us, developers, to seek collaboration and get it automatically.

Flag Post

It’s giving a querry error now.

((Yes I do realise you probably will notice before checking this but we never know!))

Flag Post

In case any of you checked out the site a few months ago and forgot about it, we’re still going. We have new features, a cleaner design, and most importantly, more members! Now its easier than ever to find other developers to work with :)