Jojn a team, make a game, earn money, get equity

47 posts

Flag Post

Ok, so i started designing a game on paper and quickly run into some serious constraints. I don’t even have all the necessary skills (main constraint being programming skills), and even if I develop them – I’ll still be constrained by time. And while even having some of the needed skills, its not always what i love (like graphic design – can be fun for me, but not all the time). Besides doing everything yourself is just dumb. Simple as that. I realize I’m not the first person on this forum with this kind of idea for a cooperation, but I believe I’ve got something more to offer than just the game idea.

I’d like to gather up a team of people who have a common dream: to make great games and a common goal: to make profit from them.

But let’s not rush things – I’m sure you’re dying to know who the hell am I and why would you like to do anything at all with me (if not, just skip next paragraph).

So to begin with, I’m an entrepreneur for over 5 years doing internet marketing (I help companies develop sales through internet). Started playing games when i was 3 (and that was long time ago) on NES, and they just couldn’t get me off from it. Well now some time later i still play games, but found out that making them could be so much more fun (besides you usually don’t make much money just by playing games). So I’m off to my game making adventure and find myself in need of some skilled comrades in this noble quest. some boring stuff Besides that I’m doing PhD in strategic management atm and got decent experience in project management in IT. Could be usefull.

So what’s the plan?
Step one – gather a team of brave adventurers
Step two – test a team in a small, fast project (a good, yet simple game)
Step three – if everything goes fine enough, make a more ambitious project, if not – start over and don’t make the same mistakes
Step four – make a game that will get noticeable recognition and noticeable money (10k$ being a good goal)
Step five – make a great mmo, based on the experience from previous steps, make lots of money, keep deweloping it and make new ones for gold and glory with a good degree of fun.

Somewhere around step four and five we would set up a company, split equity, get funding and employ ourselves as soon as finances permit it. Up till that point we would be a loose band of gamemakers under one banner, all revenue from our creations split evenly (even if small). I can even cover some small expenses that will inevitably occur.

So who am I looking for?
- People that want to take pride from their work and are committed to excellence
- People who get things done when they say they will do
- People who will not be easily discouraged by small bumps and difficulties
- People who dream of making great games they would like to play themselves
- People who are serious about this and want to do this for a living

So who can join?
- Flash Developer with experience in game making
- Sound and Music Producer
- 2D Game Graphic Designer with some knowledge is AS3 and animation
- Storytelling maniac and character designer

My role?
Everything else. Marketing, project management, filling the gaps, helping you do what you love, doing all i can for every game to make as much money as possible. Negotiating with The Big Guys. Some graphic design. Paperwork. Usual stuff.

What some people might be thinking is since I’m an entrepreneur why don’t I just hire people to do all this stuff for me? Let me answer that in advance.

Truth be told, that would be extremely risky, very expensive and overall not very smart. Besides I’m not looking for employees, I’m looking for partners, who will share the spoils but also the sweat and the risk. I’m willing to put my money into this project, just not too much till we get around step 3/4 with a team that i know i can rely on.

You might have a question or two, doubts perhaps or maybe you want to hop into this project right away? Feel free to PM me. Also critique is not frowned upon, just be polite.

Small update
There are 5 of us in the team now, were working on the game idea now. Suppose got all we need for a small and simple game, but you never know what future will bring so feel free to join our team.

Flag Post

I might be interested in collaborating, as a programmer, but it would be contingent on your taking on the responsibilities of graphic artist (the role for which you seem to have the most inclination and the highest aptitude). Don’t get me wrong, my first choice in a collab would be to sit back and let the cash flow in, just like you, but unfortunately people tend to get mad when others don’t contribute their “sweat” to the project, while still expecting a share of the “spoils”. Besides, studies have shown that splitting loot between fewer people results in higher shares.

The first project, a simple game, doesn’t need to employ a storyteller either, so it would be at most one other person, for sounds and music.

So far I have produced two prototypes you can check out. One for a platformer an early version of which is on my Kong account, the other is a pseudo-3D game about bouncing called Pogo! Both were entries in the game-making contest in this forum, GiTD (game in ten days). I am currently putting the finishing touches (codewise) to a puzzle game based on the Battleships Solitaire game.

If you’re interested please post or PM links to your art, and let’s get some games done!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ace_Blue:

I might be interested in collaborating, as a programmer, but it would be contingent on your taking on the responsibilities of graphic artist (the role for which you seem to have the most inclination and the highest aptitude). Don’t get me wrong, my first choice in a collab would be to sit back and let the cash flow in, just like you, but unfortunately people tend to get mad when others don’t contribute their “sweat” to the project, while still expecting a share of the “spoils”. Besides, studies have shown that splitting loot between fewer people results in higher shares.

The first project, a simple game, doesn’t need to employ a storyteller either, so it would be at most one other person, for sounds and music.

So far I have produced two prototypes you can check out. One for a platformer an early version of which is on my Kong account, the other is a pseudo-3D game about bouncing called Pogo! Both were entries in the game-making contest in this forum, GiTD (game in ten days). I am currently putting the finishing touches (codewise) to a puzzle game based on the Battleships Solitaire game.

If you’re interested please post or PM links to your art, and let’s get some games done!

First of all – Thank you for your answer. You’ve made an important point – that I could sit back and let the cash flow in. Well, while looking at a simple project it does actually look like it from what I’ve written here. I’m always a bit ahead, that may be the cause of this small misunderstanding. Let me clarify:

I can do graphics just fine till some point and get us some nice sounds and music. Can even do a simple story, and a complex one if the project is big enough for it. It’s just that I wont be able to do all this stuff the moment we gain some speed – too many other, important tasks, that’s why I’m looking for other people than a programmer. But I might be wrong – maybe the start is just for 2 people and others will hop in as we go? Or maybe we don’t need anyone other than just the two of us?

Truth be told I haven’t made a game in my life and don’t have much to show atm. Graphic projects I made ware mostly logos and websites, only small number made for fun. I like to dream big, but got no problem with starting modest. And if i have to I’ll grind my teeth and produce as much of graphic content as I oblige to. Might even have some fun while doing it.

And I do understand that some of my statements may sound like its a job anyone can do – like marketing for example. What’s so hard about uploading a game on Kongregate and waiting for people to play it? Well after some years of doing it i can see what can good marketing do, but I cant expect people to know it. So I get it. Honestly the sweat is exactly what I’m looking for here – the pleasure of creating something new just out of an idea.

Well I can’t ask people to trust me – why would you? But I ask you to believe and check for yourself. If you find me not contributing enough – we don’t have to go any further than a simple, short project. But if you do – we can archive great things.

Flag Post

I’m a musician who produces electronic music with Ableton Live and a variety of plugins and other smaller programs. If you can gather a group of people with decent skills, I’m definitely in if my style suits whatever project you want to start. I believe you aren’t the kind of person who just wants to tell other people what to do and does nothing themselves.

Here’s my Bandcamp where you can listen to and download my first EP.
And my Soundcloud which currently contains the tracks from the EP and one remix. It’s where I put my new stuff. I’m a versatile musician, so these songs do not represent everything I can do. Feel free to ask me any questions. I’d love to take part in a project like this – right now after finishing my EP I’m in a “what now?” situation and eager to start a new project – whether it’s a new album of mine or a soundtrack for your game. I’m really enthusiastic when it comes to music and enjoy working on it.

The problem is that I haven’t done any sound effect production. I’m willing to try it. I’m just not experienced in it at all.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Edeslash:

I’m a musician who produces electronic music with Ableton Live and a variety of plugins and other smaller programs.

Sent you a PM

Flag Post

I know you already sent Edeslash a PM, but I’m also a composer and I’d like to work with you. Here’s my website, and here’s a link to a game that is on kongregate that I did the music for: Turn off the light At this point in my career I do a little bit of every style of “classical” music. Some instrumental, some vocal, and some electronic (though Edeslash’s electronic stuff sounds a lot better than mine does). I’d also like to add that I am very reliable and have had about 6 developers tell me that they no longer have the energy to work on the project. I tell you this to let you know that I am very committed to projects and that I have a lot more experience in game design than my site makes it appear. (My sincere apologies about that. I’m in the process of upgrading to a new site so the old one is a little outdated). I also can normally write music very quickly. I’ll almost always get you a new track every week, and most of the time it only takes a day or two.

Good luck with your project! Sounds like you have the drive and the brains to be a successful game designer, now you just need to get a team assembled!

Flag Post

Our areas of expertise are very different. :)

Flag Post

lol yeah, you could say that again. :-) We’re on exact opposite sides of the composing world.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Something13:

I know you already sent Edeslash a PM, but I’m also a composer and I’d like to work with you. Here’s my website, and here’s a link to a game that is on kongregate that I did the music for: Turn off the light At this point in my career I do a little bit of every style of “classical” music. Some instrumental, some vocal, and some electronic (though Edeslash’s electronic stuff sounds a lot better than mine does). I’d also like to add that I am very reliable and have had about 6 developers tell me that they no longer have the energy to work on the project. I tell you this to let you know that I am very committed to projects and that I have a lot more experience in game design than my site makes it appear. (My sincere apologies about that. I’m in the process of upgrading to a new site so the old one is a little outdated). I also can normally write music very quickly. I’ll almost always get you a new track every week, and most of the time it only takes a day or two.

Good luck with your project! Sounds like you have the drive and the brains to be a successful game designer, now you just need to get a team assembled!

Something I least expected: abundance of great people to work with. Your Evil HQ – brilliant. Genre is much, much different than what Edeslash is doing so maybe you guys could split some work between two of you to take care of parts you love the most? It would be a shame not to work with both of you. Even if it turns out the amount of work is too little to split – Something13 you will definitely make top place on my reserve list.

Flag Post

Seems fair enough. :)So (to summarize what you said in my own words and/or offer a slight change) Edeslash and I are both considered composers for this group, but depending on the style of music needed for the game, either I would do it, Edeslash would do it, or we’d split the work. Is that a good summary?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Something13:

Seems fair enough. :)So (to summarize what you said in my own words and/or offer a slight change) Edeslash and I are both considered composers for this group, but depending on the style of music needed for the game, either I would do it, Edeslash would do it, or we’d split the work. Is that a good summary?

Sounds good to me. Ideally you should contact and support one another. We’re not making any money now (and even if … it wont be big for some time), so it doesnt really matter if were just loose band of developers working on different projects. Right now – the more the merrier, if someone can contribute content of value ofcourse :D

Flag Post

In your thread about this that you put in the programming section you said “I can do graphics just fine till some point and get us some nice sounds and music.”

The truth is sound, music, marketing, and even graphics are not really needed (and in my collaborations even put in) till the near end of the project. The only thing other then programming could be the idea idea of maybe trying to get the name of your game out there to people and showing them what your game is about to get hem excited and word of mouth going before launch.

You also said Truth be told I haven’t made a game in my life and don’t have much to show atm’
Without ever making a game in your life you have no idea just how hard it is to finish one. Starting a game is easy but finishing one can literally be painful at times. With not much to show of your work I don’t know how anyone could possibly be interested in collaborating with you. (Sorry if that sounds harsh but seriously make some samples of your abilities before looking for a group of people.

Finally you also said ’ But I might be wrong – maybe the start is just for 2 people and others will hop in as we go? Or maybe we don’t need anyone other than just the two of us?’

I think what you should do is learn how to program. Even something simple – just do a tutorial like the Kongregate Shoot-turorials and learn what is required to make a game. Then try to use your knowledge from that and make a simple game of your own design. You can look up how to’s online or ask for help on the forums when you get stuck but when you manage to finish a game of your own you’ll know what it takes. And since your an artist your game will probably have some of your artwork and when you share it with people they will get to see what you are capable of. Its a win win. But I really can’t say it enough to anyone looking to collaborate.

IF YOU WANT PEOPLE TO COLLABORATE WITH YOU -SHOW WHAT YOU ARE CAPABLE OF

Flag Post

Figuratively.

Emotional pain doesn’t count.

Flag Post

No emotional pain does count. It is really really hard to finish a game.

If you want to see proof watch this http://www.indiegamethemovie.com/

Well worth 10$ its a great movie.

Flag Post

Can’t recommend the film to anyone. The people are huge douchebags. I don’t know what it is about the indie game industry that makes people idiots.

It’s pretty easy to finish a game when the game is more important to you than your ego.

Flag Post
Originally posted by evan999333:

In your thread about this that you put in the programming section you said “I can do graphics just fine till some point and get us some nice sounds and music.”

I understand. Youre a person, who needs proof in order to act.

I really do not strive to be one man army game developer – sure it does make communications obsolete, reduces risk of misunderstanding to zero, but at the same time dooms you – just like you said – it may be hard to finish the project (For some basics in topic here is an article that you might find usefull http://regulargeek.com/2010/06/24/are-you-a-starter-a-finisher-or-an-implementer/ ) so having people of different types in a team – great. I’m a natural starter – I love to start things, gather people and resources and create. I learned the hard way the consequences of not finishing a project and while not being easy for me, I’ll force myself the last 10% if needed.

That being said – we are already working on a game. It took roughly 10h to organize people needed, now were working on the project. Will have someting to show for soon enough.

Thank you for the movie link, will look into it.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Ok, so I watched the movie, and while being entertaining it provides little real value as to the process of creating a game. Unless I missed some value in which case it would be great if you could explain it to me.

I don’t agree with Edeslash – these guys are smart and passionate. A bit wierd too, but nobody is perfect.

Flag Post

first off appology for my bad english, its not my strong point.
Bronsoner, i like your presentation, you seem to be inteligent and would be a shame to waste it like this, like the guys before me i recomand the same, concentrate on art skill or even on code, ace recomanded to use shootorials i agree, they are realy eazy to make / learn , if you keep on debating here youl get nowere, best case scenario you can find sound guy, a very lazy artist that will surley abandon project on half way and a beginer coder who will abandon also, im talking from experience i was exactly like you(but with a bad english) and i learned artwork and made a full pack art for a game then searchd for a coder to give it life, after that the coder teachd me how to use adobe flash and i progresd and after that my english did not matter so much lol i had many colabs and i know many people who did but all of them worked in team of 2, artist and coder + aditional upfront payed sounds or ng free sounds.

But if you realy dont want to learn any of this then i dont think flash games are for you, maybe bigger projects were designer,maneger and so on pozition are availeble , i do belive youl need a portofolio for that im not sure.
If you wish to learn how game development works i am opend to teach some of the steps, curently im working on a mmorpg for the playerIO contest so if you have skype or gtalk and your curios about this game development we can talk.

best of luck

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ramos_emanuel:

first off appology for my bad english, its not my strong point.

heeeey, I played your game! I remember Awaken on AOG. Good job man!

Don’t worry about english – the fact that others can understand you is more important than grammar. It would help to put a text into a word or other text editor that will point out errors to you, you will improve quickly.

There are 5 of us now, with me taking the role of art designer and project manager. Will update the first post, so people dont have to read everything to know. Lets hook up on Skype.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bronsoner:

Ok, so I watched the movie, and while being entertaining it provides little real value as to the process of creating a game. Unless I missed some value in which case it would be great if you could explain it to me.

I don’t agree with Edeslash – these guys are smart and passionate. A bit wierd too, but nobody is perfect.

The video was not to do with game creation – It was in response to Amibtious’s post about how emotional pain doesn’t count in game creation.

Anyways looks like you have the people your looking for and I personally would like to see your first project if/when your team finishes it. Best of luck!

Flag Post

I was kinda saying emotional pain doesn’t count in anything where you’d use the phrase ‘literally painful’ frivilously.

@Bronsoner, having seen a fair few of these ’I’ve never made a game lets assemble a team’ projects come and go* and seeing you already have a team of 5…I suggest you check and double check your coder knows what they’re doing, and then remember that everyone else is useless without them. Art is very important in how your game is recieved, and sound is good…..writers…meh, I dunno. It’s useful to have a lot of people around to beta test…but without a coder the game doesn’t exist.

*The failure rate I’ve observed is 100%, for IMO two main reasons:- One getting a big team that faffs around without a competent coder…saying things like “we’ve been working on it for X months” and having no source code. Two….way over ambitious (my specialty perhaps). Start small. Whatever you’re thinking, make it smaller. If it has an acronym…TD, RTS, RPG….it’s probably too much for your first game. And then don’t release an avoider game and move straight on to your MMORPG so long as it seems ‘okay’. I know you’ve already said this in your steps, but other people have said exactly the same and then immediately forgotten it when they get a team of musicians and level designers and writers and advisors together who all want to talk about cool ideas they have for the big project. See if you can get something tiny (like an avoider game) done by the end of the month, and make your 2nd project something that can be done by the end of next month. The artist (you?) needs to work closely with the coder….everyone else needs to be cut out of the decision making for small beginning projects. Else you’ll faff. Whatever you end up deciding, cut out more than half the features and build what’s left. Anything that doesn’t result in actual asset creation is useless until you have a beta ready to test; Assets: primary-source code, secondary-art, tertiary-sounds. When you have a beta, get it as widely tested as possible and polish the hell out of it. The 90/90 rule is very real.

Also, ignore all of the above, I am as of yet a far from successful developer and mebe shouldn’t be giving advice :D

Also, you’ve spelt join wrong.

Flag Post

Thanks for the advice. We’re starting our first project. It’s a realistic first project.

Personally, I’ve got nothing to lose. I’m doing what I love doing regardless of the outcome.

Flag Post

You said you are looking for a “Storytelling maniac”. That’s me, in a nutshell.
I’m a freelance journalist and writer from Germany. So, English is not my mother tongue, but I study German and English at university. I wrote my bachelor’s thesis about “Narrative Structures in Computer Games” last year. At the moment, I don’t have any practical experience in writing for games. But I write short stories and scripts, I published a short story anthology last year, and I write for a few small magazines and newspapers.
What I can contribute to your project: Helping in developing, designing and writing the story; writing dialogues and other on-screen texts; cross-reading and editing; and maybe even translating the whole thing into German.
I can send you some of my stuff, though most of it is in German, so I will have to translate it first. (But I’m working on getting to write for one or two American/English online magazines.)

Flag Post
Originally posted by MyGreenFrog:

You said you are looking for a “Storytelling maniac”. That’s me, in a nutshell.
I’m a freelance journalist and writer from Germany. So, English is not my mother tongue, but I study German and English at university. I wrote my bachelor’s thesis about “Narrative Structures in Computer Games” last year. At the moment, I don’t have any practical experience in writing for games. But I write short stories and scripts, I published a short story anthology last year, and I write for a few small magazines and newspapers.
What I can contribute to your project: Helping in developing, designing and writing the story; writing dialogues and other on-screen texts; cross-reading and editing; and maybe even translating the whole thing into German.
I can send you some of my stuff, though most of it is in German, so I will have to translate it first. (But I’m working on getting to write for one or two American/English online magazines.)

Sent you a PM.