TextRPG: The Turning Point (Alpha released) page 4

480 posts

Flag Post

No, not really…

Well, actually, it depends. If I have to do loads, then the answer is no, and else it’s worth trying.

I need to make a checklist of things to build.

Flag Post

okay here is an old paper background made entirely in photoshop. You said you wanted a scroll or something to put the story on, I can work on that but It’s a little difficult to make a scroll that actually looks decent and not crappy looking.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Flag Post

I think that’s quite good, actually. It looks relatively old, and the writing is in a good style as well. Maybe get rid of the drawing, as we don’t specifically know when the game is set; if it’s set sometime in the Middle Ages, then you should probably keep it. Very good, overall, methinks.

Flag Post

Background is looking nice, … although the text and picture should be removed if possible.

Flag Post

Suggested Shop names…
Shop names:
Bob’s Blacksmith for weapons(Warrior)
Armed Armorers for armor(Warrior)
The Imperfect Arrow for weapons(Archer)
Pansy Peter’s Leathers for armor(Archer)
Staves & Staffs for weapons(Mage)
Ravaged Robes for armor(Mage)
His Crown Jewels for Rings
The Gallows & other neckwear for Amulets
Explosive Elixers for Potions

Flag Post

Ugh, this is not working at all.

I’ll go insane without a developer buddy.
I like making stuff in one piece, but, I’ll need someone to talk to, or else I’ll go totally nuts.

Flag Post

I wrote … a bit of chapter 1. It start immediatly on starting the game.

Chapter 1: The Burning Town
A kid runs into the town. He looks frightened, and is running like he has the devil himself on his heels. “The – … The… pfff…” the kid says, trying to speak, but having no breath to do so. “<playername>, stop staring out of the window, and concentrate on your studies.” the old teacher says. You ignore the teacher, and continue looking at the kid running into town. The kid stops running, and tries to catch some air. “The -… The…” the kid tries again. He attracts the attention of the people walking outside. One of them grabs his water bottle, and hands it to the kid. The kid grabs the bottle, clutching to the person’s arm to lift himself up. The kid takes a sip, then hands the bottle back. “Thanks, but… it won’t matter anymore. My dad and mommy are … gone. They are gone… gone… They were in the house… and I was playing outside… Then… Then the monsters came. And… It was… It was… They… They ravaged through the gate, and Fred… Fred, oh no, no, no-hoo… Fred was the friendly townguard… he tried to stop them… poor Fred… no Fred, no, no, no-ho-ho… Then, … Then, they came for my house… and mommy shouted ‘Run! Run as fast as you can, and don’t look back!’… oh no, no, no, no, NO! It’s not true! Not true! Mommy is still alive… She is still alive… alive… alive…” the kid tells his story, breaking down emotionally. The townsfolk are silent. Even from the inn, usually full with loud drunkards with empty tankards, you hear no noise. The only thing you can hear is… the teacher. “Get back to your studies NOW!” he screams. And outside, you hear the kid screaming again: “The… Demons… The Demons have come!” And he points at the smoke clouds over the hill, before running off. The silence takes hold of the scene again. The only thing you can hear is the soft blowing of the wind. Then the silence is ripped apart by the town guard: “BATTLE STATIONS!”. Over the hill, against the blackened sky, stand even darker silhouettes of a legion of demons. Willing to fulfill your duty as a(n) <class>, and not those stupid lessons of the teacher, you run to the class door, open it, and head home. The adrenaline rushes through your veins as the teacher names you in quite a different language, … although it’s still English.

The town guard is holding the walls … for now. You run home and get your gear. You have your gear equipped in a record time, and anxiously run outside. Fully geared up on weapons, armor and adrenaline, you run up the town wall to the town guards, and ask if you can be of any assistance. Then you look down the wall. The answer is no longer required. An about 500 headed army (counting multiple heads on one body as 1) stand before the gate. “Watch out!” one of the bowmen shouts. But it is too late. A fireball knocks you off the wall, sending you flying, with a ending destination of “in the middle of the army”. You land with a loud crunch, like a lot of your bones snapped. An about 497 headed army remains, because your fall was broken by and did break three skeletons.

< Battle: 2 skeletons>
< Battle: 2 imps, 1 skeleton>
< Battle: 2 imps, 1 skeleton, 1 skeleton mage>

Feeling pumped up by adrenaline, you are having quite a killing spree. But the adrenaline doesn’t hold against the wounds you have suffered. You start to make mistakes, and a skeleton with a maul hits you on the back of your head. You fall down to the ground. Before your sight blurs out and fades, you see the gates breaking, and the demons rushing in.

Flag Post

i can add remove anything to that image, just put that up to show what it looks like with an image and text.

Flag Post

Could you please make only the background then? Thanks in advance.

Flag Post

http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=textrpgintroblank.png

delivered. Oh by the way if you were after the name of the font i used before it was Old English Text Mt. I used a colour burn and 65% opacity to create the final look of the text.

Flag Post

That’s a really good background, methinks. However, I have an idea to make it EVEN BETTER… what you could do is shrink the scroll-thing, and have it on a firey background… you know, black coloured, with fire coming from the bottom of the screen and stuff… maybe? It wouldn’t have to be animated, but it could be, if that was possible…

EDIT: What do you mean by ‘Developer Buddy’?

Flag Post

Someone to talk to whilst building stuff.
Said person should also know atleast what I’m talking about…
So know a bit of my games + know a bit of flash actionscript 2

Because currently, I keep having mind knots in my head, not being able to work stuff out the right way.

Flag Post

hey sorry i havent been on in while…I’ve had lots of homewor. any way the stroy was good. Was that gonna be the first quest from the quest master, or jjust the first quest period? I could rite the second quest if you want meto. Just tell me what monsters there are goin to be

Flag Post

Weeell, I don’t really know anything about Flash Actionscript 2 (at all… :( ), but I do play your games. Soo yeah.

Flag Post
Originally posted by cobra151:

OK, lets get one thing straight here: I own finale. The real, honest to goodness, full blown, super expensive edition. And contrary to popular opinion the program is not (I repeat, NOT) made for making audio files. The software is Notation software (I.E. – software designed for the exporting Sheet Music, as in the kind you print out, so that musicians can play it on real instruments). I can testify from personal experience, that you do NOT want to use finale for making mp3 and audio file (not ones worth listening to anyways).

Now, that said, I do have another program which was made for porducing high quality audio, and I have a portfolio with quite a bit of variety.

http://cobra151.newgrounds.com/audio/

Anything of the classical genre is most likely what you will be most interested in, though I have some techno in there as well. Listen to the songs “Before the Storm” and “Demo (1)” to get a good idea of what I can do.

I would be very willing to fill the position of Composer, but with one problem. Due to being a Christian, I am not entirely comfortable about having my name on a game that has quite a bit to do with demons. Since the game hasn’t even begun yet, is it possible we could change the theme to Monsters or Zombies? It would still be scary, have the same feel, but wouldn’t involve demons. Also, anyone who possibly played your first game, might see the similarities and immediatly be prejudiced to thinking it won’t be any good. changing the theme (Vikings maybe?) would be good for publicity as well.

I am not free of homework and the like either, so progress might be slow, but it sounds like your progress would be equally slow, so it could workout fine.

anyways, sorry for the loong post, hope I get the job, I look forward to possibly working with you :) – Cobra151

if you are a christian, and i can understand how you would feel a little uncomfortable being associated with a game about demons, since this games main storyline is situated directly on killing demons, is it still as uncomfortable?

Flag Post

Well I don’t have flash but I do know Java programming and if I can help you in any way with programming logic and such (unfortunately can’t help you fix the syntax errors that are inevitable) I would be glad to.

Also YES I finally got all the achievements in The Rise of Diablo =)

Flag Post
Originally posted by wylestus:
Originally posted by cobra151:

OK, lets get one thing straight here: I own finale. The real, honest to goodness, full blown, super expensive edition. And contrary to popular opinion the program is not (I repeat, NOT) made for making audio files. The software is Notation software (I.E. – software designed for the exporting Sheet Music, as in the kind you print out, so that musicians can play it on real instruments). I can testify from personal experience, that you do NOT want to use finale for making mp3 and audio file (not ones worth listening to anyways).

Now, that said, I do have another program which was made for porducing high quality audio, and I have a portfolio with quite a bit of variety.

http://cobra151.newgrounds.com/audio/

Anything of the classical genre is most likely what you will be most interested in, though I have some techno in there as well. Listen to the songs “Before the Storm” and “Demo (1)” to get a good idea of what I can do.

I would be very willing to fill the position of Composer, but with one problem. Due to being a Christian, I am not entirely comfortable about having my name on a game that has quite a bit to do with demons. Since the game hasn’t even begun yet, is it possible we could change the theme to Monsters or Zombies? It would still be scary, have the same feel, but wouldn’t involve demons. Also, anyone who possibly played your first game, might see the similarities and immediatly be prejudiced to thinking it won’t be any good. changing the theme (Vikings maybe?) would be good for publicity as well.

I am not free of homework and the like either, so progress might be slow, but it sounds like your progress would be equally slow, so it could workout fine.

anyways, sorry for the loong post, hope I get the job, I look forward to possibly working with you :) – Cobra151

if you are a christian, and i can understand how you would feel a little uncomfortable being associated with a game about demons, since this games main storyline is situated directly on killing demons, is it still as uncomfortable?

I think you may be a bit late… I mean, it’s been, like, a month since that post… soo yeah. On a lighter note, there are still a few positions for artists that haven’t been filled yet, so you might want to apply for one of them.

Flag Post

Where is everyone? It’s like you’ve all died except for me…

Flag Post

I am here, I am here.

… Yeah, this is running slightly dead in it’s tracks, but I will work on it, I promise.
It’s just that, well, uhm, I recently got a new pile of homework… >_<

Flag Post

I’m here

Flag Post

Do you need a programmer? I can slowly implement your game as you make it. You tell me what to do with the texts and graphics you create, and I will implement them into a .swf, provided you send them in format I define. I will work slowly, but I will help you.

Flag Post

No thanks. Although I appreciate your help, your other posts lead to more than a slight irritation to me. I don’t want to end up in a flame war breaking my collab.

Flag Post

Hey pimgd what other art pieces are needed?

Flag Post

I have an idea… maybe the artists/lead artist could draw pictures for the enemies and characters… unless that would take too much time (like, WAY too much time…)

Flag Post

Might be possible. I’ll have to ask the guy ’bout it.

Although I don’t know whether I want a character shot…