TextRPG: The Turning Point (Alpha released) page 3

480 posts

Flag Post

Yay! Targetting and combat work! … Partially. For 1 enemy. …

- They now work for all enemies! I enjoyed smacking the hell out of some easy stuff… Only to find out nothing actually happened if you killed them all!

Working on the killing stuff..

Flag Post

So how far into the demo are you at the moment?

P.S. NOONE IS VOLUNTEERING FOR ARTIST POSITIONS!!! IS THERE NO ONE OUT THERE WHO IS ANY GOOD AT ART?! AT ALL?!?

Flag Post

Quite far, really. Most of the stuff that is just left is the stuff “after” the combat.

Besides – I have a couple of friends who can fill me in for art when needed.

The only thing I still need is Levelling.

Nearly done with levelling – only thing remaining are the stat points…

Flag Post

I’m done with the combat demo! Hurray!

You can test it at my website . Give me some feedback when you are done.

I left out spells, abilities, running, potions…
Might add it later. This is the basic system.

- It looks a bit ugly, because it is stretched. I tried embedding it, but it doesn’t like stuff with big widths. I hope kongregate allows 800×600...

Flag Post

hey…i no a good artist-his name is:Akurus
and also, will u put a link to your website? it won’t come up when i try it regularly

Flag Post

Pimgd’s link:
www.freewebs.com/pimgdtextrpg/CombatDemo.swf

Edit
Apparently it doesn’t want to link off site.

Flag Post

nice…it looks goodso far

Flag Post

I like it, its good so far

Flag Post

Weird, it was indeed blocked.
I wonder why. Ohwell.

Thanks for replies.

My website would be www.freewebs.com/pimgdtextrpg/

Flag Post

This is just plain great.

I fixed the stupid flashing.
And… I created 20 bugs.
UGH. (combat is broken…)

Yay! 20 minutes later, I got it working again. Ugh, that was… annoying.
v0.02 features the same game, without the flashing!

Flag Post

I think the combat demo is good at the moment! Although I managed to defeat two hard level enemies at level one… possibly make them a bit harder? (not too much, obviously ;P)

Flag Post

>_< that was not the intent of the combat demo.

Flag Post

Well i don’t think i would be of any use in the development of the game but i am pretty creative and i can think of some monsters and how they look like yet i can’t make them myself because i have no experience in flash… But i still want to help regardless of me having no skill in flash if you need any creativeness you can always call me… Anyways keep up the good work Pimgd! I hope to see that TextRPG the Turning Point will be far more better than the last one! I’m gonna be checking back every once in a while i don’t wanna miss out on all the fun!

Flag Post

hye pimgd…i just thought of something.

Since you said that it would be sorta like diablo, why do you need an artist? all it is is text. just wondering.

Flag Post

hey pimgd whats going on with your art? to be honest you have talent in coding that is shown in your work but the menu system is not aligned and the text is everywhere, i know that would’ve taken a back seat to programming. But if you really want to increase the popularity of your game and get more plays something needs to be done. I can create a new set of buttons for you and send them over in a fla file along with any fonts etc. essential to the file, then all you will have to do is wack them in the game. I can also do you a fancy preloader.

Flag Post

I will need other art like um,…

A scroll of paper to display storyline on
Pictures for items
Perhaps some other stuff

Flag Post
Originally posted by Damyne:

That description sounds pretty decent, I’ll take a stab at it very soon. Right now though, I have a rehearsal to go to (yes, this late).

A couple things however:

Approximate length (minutes?)

When in the game is this piece played? Title screen, battles, map etc…

Will there be any sound effects playing at the same time I should know about?

Thanks,

Damyne

It would need to be around 3 minutes, 3 and a half.
This music piece is played in general, everything not battle (and maybe not quest)

Flag Post

i have to go to kansas for a funeral so imight not be on in a while. just givinh you a heads up…

I AM NOT LEAVING THE COLLAB!!!

Flag Post

Ugh, I need more people, and…

I don’t actually know when to start making the real game. The problem is, once I start making it, there is no stopping. Even if I have homework. It will just be pushed aside. Should I start making it now?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pimgd:

Ugh, I need more people, and…

I don’t actually know when to start making the real game. The problem is, once I start making it, there is no stopping. Even if I have homework. It will just be pushed aside. Should I start making it now?

Why can’t you stop making it?

Flag Post

I dunno. I get into some sort of… flow. And from there on, it basically goes in one, long, haul. I made the main engine of TRoD in 10 hours, from 10:00 to 18:00 and from 19:00 to 21:00. Somewhere around that. But I’ll get stuck in doing that (I remember going to bed once @ 3:30 AM because I had to fix something, and it didn’t work.)

So if I start now, I’ll have something to do, but I might lose myself sort of in the process, and that really ruins my homework. … I don’t have homework ATM, but I don’t know when everything will come crashing down again.

In other news – I just made hotkeys to the combat demo, but I still have to upload it.

In other-other news – My website is picking up Dutch IP’s. Anyone Dutch here? Besides me.

Flag Post

No. Otherwise, I would type in Dutch. Maybe… unless I know both English AND Dutch!!! hahaha… seriously though, I’m English.

Also, if you made the main engine of TRoD in ten hours or so, why couldn’t you do something like that in, say, the easter term? It’s coming up soon enough!

Flag Post

I can make a basic engine… but it would probably conflict with other stuff (read: Equipment and other stuff require their own engine, and thus take hours to make)

Flag Post

okay…i’m back. did u try the artist i told you about?

Flag Post

Hmm… well, would it be possible to create all of the stuff within the easter term? Probably not, methinks…