Looking for art for experimental Flash game

6 posts

Flag Post

Hello everyone,

as the title says, I’m looking to make an experimental game, and would like someone to help out with the graphics. It will be a platform/puzzle game, probably with pixelated graphics. One of the reasons why it’s experimental is that I’m making it quite small (think 200×200 pixels, perhaps even smaller). I already have a well working Platform Engine, that I wrote myself, which I will use for this.

I consider myself a good programmer, but have not finished any projects thusfar. I’m making this game to get experience and above all, because I want to make it. Money is not my incentive. I will split any profit 50/50. Keep in mind though, that because of the experimental nature of the project, I cannot guarantee this will even make money, that’s the risk.

If you’re still interested, and think you are the right person for the job, please demonstrate by showing some of your old work, or drawing a small pixelated main character. If you do not want this to appear in public, e-mail me at markpeerdeman@live.nl

Thanks in advance :)

Flag Post

whats the puzzle?

Flag Post

Can’t believe I missed that part in my post..

It will be about an explorer, most likely in an Egyptian temple or something. The puzzle would be to solve little puzzles in there to unlock new passages etc. For example, there could be a door that only opens when you have collected 3 special stones, and put them in the wall in the right order. Stuff like that.

Flag Post

A game size of 200X200 is minuscule. It would look bad on most portals (because they were designed for much bigger game sizes), would not be able to fit the majority of in game ads (most are bigger than your whole game), and ultimately huts the player’s eyes because most people today have high resolution monitors and this would be a very small area on their screen.

If all that were not enough, from a game design perspective, that size is an abysmal choice. With 20×20 tiles (any lower and it becomes impossible to actually depict anything in one tile) you’re looking at a 10×10 playing screen, even Super Mario Bros had twice that much, in order to accommodate visibility of the area around you, which is key in platform games to allow the player to actually wee what is around him, where they will land after that jump, if there is any place to go up, etc, etc. If your engine is one of those screen-swapping ones, where you change the screen instead of scrolling through an even bigger level, then it is even worse since you will need a border of 1 tile to be used for the logic triggers for transition, leaving you with only 8×8.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Leguma:

A game size of 200X200 is minuscule. It would look bad on most portals (because they were designed for much bigger game sizes), would not be able to fit the majority of in game ads (most are bigger than your whole game), and ultimately huts the player’s eyes because most people today have high resolution monitors and this would be a very small area on their screen.

I know it is minuscule. That’s the point. To be able to make a game in such a tiny space. I’ve made a demo of my platform engine of 100×100, with the main character being 15×25 pixels, and I wouldn’t say looks awful because of the size. If it ends up being too small, I can always adjust the size.

Originally posted by Leguma:

If all that were not enough, from a game design perspective, that size is an abysmal choice. With 20×20 tiles (any lower and it becomes impossible to actually depict anything in one tile) you’re looking at a 10×10 playing screen, even Super Mario Bros had twice that much, in order to accommodate visibility of the area around you, which is key in platform games to allow the player to actually wee what is around him, where they will land after that jump, if there is any place to go up, etc, etc. If your engine is one of those screen-swapping ones, where you change the screen instead of scrolling through an even bigger level, then it is even worse since you will need a border of 1 tile to be used for the logic triggers for transition, leaving you with only 8×8.

The tiles I drew myself are 15×15px, in the 100×100 example, so that shows just over 6×6 playing tiles. But, I don’t think that a problem, since the idea is based around that (you’d hold a torch, the only source of ‘light’ in the game, so you’d only see 3/4 tiles wide anyway). Making it 200×200 already gives over 12×12 objects, which I think is more than enough for this game.
As for the engine, it’s a scroller, it centers the player and moves the world as you move in it. (And you’re wrong about the logic trigger thing, that can be done any number of ways ;) )

Flag Post

I stand highly corrected.