Forums Stencyl

Welcome to Stencyl! page 4

102 posts

Flag Post

Can you publish it on Kongregate.com and make money off of it like any other Flash game?

Flag Post

Yes

Publish > Export Game As… > SWF

Then you can do whatever you want with it…

Flag Post

This tool seems similar to a tool I used before (scratch), but the awesome part is that you can actually make it a Flash game! This way everyone who wants to can (sort of) be developers.

Flag Post

Just wondering, can you create a multi player game using this? I am working through the crash courses, and I can see that you can make a game to play multi player on the same computer, but what about a game connecting different computers?

Flag Post

That’s why writing code is better than building lego bricks :) try typing out the code and translating to your stencyl structure.

Flag Post

Is there a linux version in the works?

And will there be open-standard output, to webGL and html?

EDIT Just checked your website. There is a linux version, but only .deb. Could you build a .RPM too, for SUSE and fedora users?

Flag Post

Looks Nice

Flag Post

I’ve heard of some “Code Mode” but can you code parts of your Stencyl game with AS2?

Flag Post
Originally posted by bhattarai333:

I’ve heard of some “Code Mode” but can you code parts of your Stencyl game with AS2?

Sorry but the code mode is only in AS3
Quoted from Stencyl website:
Do I need to know ActionScript?

Absolutely not. You can use it, but the vast majority of our users prefer to use our visual tools to build their game’s behaviors.

What if I want to use ActionScript instead of the visual designer?

You can use ActionScript 3 via a built-in code editor or an external editor.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Chaosoul:
Originally posted by bhattarai333:

Sorry but the code mode is only in AS3
Quoted from Stencyl website:
Do I need to know ActionScript?

Absolutely not. You can use it, but the vast majority of our users prefer to use our visual tools to build their game’s behaviors.

What if I want to use ActionScript instead of the visual designer?

You can use ActionScript 3 via a built-in code editor or an external editor.

Aww well that’s all right I’ll just stick to flash.

Flag Post

But seriously, can u earn cash through revenues and/or contest with games made with Stencyl… assuming of course i use my own actors, behaviors, tiles, scenes, etc?

Flag Post

masterr: Yes, the games you create are your own – barring, as you said, any assets that you didn’t produce yourself and might be restricted under some license (Creative Commons, etc). You’re entirely welcome to attempt to sell or seek sponsorship for your games. Also, Mochi Ads was recently added to Stencyl for easy insertion of advertisements. Kongregate will auto-display ads (and auto-disable MochiAds actually) for any Flash games here – and that could result in income for you.

Flag Post

Does anyone here know about scratch…is stenyl similar…i just made a game on scratch but can’t use it…is stencyl just as good…I hope so.

Flag Post

I’m a massive fan of Stencyl, and am really stoked to see it finally unveiled here on Kongregate. I know you guys will put it to good use. The potential here cannot be overstated. If the right people get a hold of this tool, it could be one of the best communities and centers for independent developers. I strongly recommend anyone taking a few days to really get into it.

I made Balls in Space in about 6 weeks, including the time it took to learn the tools and countless hours goofing around and tweaking little art nonsense. You can make games quickly and sell them to sponsors with this tool, and I really hope it introduces game development to a whole new audience of creators.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MelikaneL32:
I made Balls in Space…

Sorry, what?

Flag Post

My games show the highlight of stencyl games

Flag Post
Originally posted by warrington:

My games show the highlight of stencyl games

Too bad I can’t shot you in the head via Internet.

Flag Post

Hi.

Flag Post

Might have to download and try. Always wanted to make a game, I just get turned away by the complex elements such as coding.

Flag Post

Stencyl is great programming for me……….
More of a hobby then a job……….

Flag Post

Stencyl doesn’t take out the fun of logical thinking and knowing how to program is still necessary.
However the code snapping lets you avoid syntax error (the most boring ones i think…) and trascend to the language you are using.
That means that you are “writing” in a kind pseudo-code, which is the most abstract natural programming language.
This allows you to refine your thinking and code in whatever language Stencyl support istantly without learning his statements, syntax and conventions.
I also found easier to switch later to real Actionscript3 and Java when i needed them, because i was used to program more complex behaviours and debug them.

Flag Post

well this sounds good, from what i have head so far it supports actionscript3, well this should be a great tool because im still have a lot to learn about actionscript3 and i can still use my small amount of knowledge, well i just got adobe flash cs6 for nothing then

Flag Post

This is great! I’m a C++ programmer myself and I’ve always wanted to make web games, but don’t have the time to learn the actionscript or java differences lol. So I’m glad I can just use game logic rather than a new language!

Flag Post

I got my D.
I’m done with it now.
I just sit back and let Kongregate pay me.

Flag Post

I tried Stencyl and making a sploder game and did not like it. I moved on to the Unity 3d and find it alot easier. I shall be making a WW2 Airplane fighter game in the next few months.