Forums Stencyl

Stencyl is a failure. page 24 (locked)

590 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by warrington:

The bright side being my games

Not often do I desire to punch people through the Internet but this is one of those times.

Flag Post

Stencyl has a lot of promise. Sadly there’s still a lot of lose ends that need cleaning up. I personally think that in 2 or 3 years if its still going the community and resources will be there for most to make really nice flash games.

Flag Post

I don’t understand why people are attacking Stencyl. It’s like, Oh no, people want to make games but have no coding experience. You all climbed the same mountain as these people. You started somewhere. This is like the kiddie pack, that will open the door for you, and then you can start climbing that same mountain you all climbed. But it’s kind of hard for these people to actually learn to code, or even WANT to code anymore. Especially when after all of their hard work climbing up the mountain, the people on top are stomping on their fingers and pissing in their hair.

tl;dr “Waaaaaahhhh waaah people are trying to learn about something I like waaah someone has an interest in something that i do waaah waaahhh i was making flash before it was cool whhhaaaaahh” — You (AKA. Hipster Douche-sack # 13245)

Flag Post

Novadude987
I don’t understand why people are attacking Stencyl.

Because Stencyl devaluates game development, dumbing it down to a simplified constructor.

Sure, high quality entertainment will always require professional tools and coding, but that’s not the deal. In the next few years flash portals will be bogged down with never ending waves of low-quality garbage, and I’m not proud of this future, neither as a user nor as a developer, especially.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Novadude987:

I don’t understand why people are attacking Stencyl. )

me neither. stencyl is good.

Flag Post

I just read until page 5, the flamewar bored me. (and the last page of course)

It was really amusing to see all this “omg, they cannot use code, noobs!”-guys.
I mean, is there a real difference between dragging blocks with code or writing it itself?
Stencyl is not “insert game idea here”, it has code, its basically FlashDevelop with dragging blocks – but the game logic stays the same, you will have booleans, you will have variables, and so on.
Its fine if you want to write all this code yourself – but what is so cool about risking to crash the whole game by one typing error?
Yeah, the cool guys can find this errors quickly, but still, stencyl has code, the biggest difference is the lacking possibility of writing it wrong.

In my opinion the biggest problem of Stencyl is the gap between “creating a game” and “creating game logic”.
It is incredible easy to create levels, insert actors and so on – but it is a quite big jump to actually creating the games logic itself.
The crash course doesn`t help as its basically “download things and paste them into your game”.
If it would really encourage the user to write his own game, his own behaviours, we would have much better games (and less spam, but i don`t believe this is a Stencyl-problem, dress up games and silly racers existed before, just look at the new games page…).
Thus, the greatest problem is the “copy&paste”-advertising.
Stencyl can be complex, but they sell it under a less than fair value.

PS: excuse my english, i`m still learning it

Flag Post

I think you’re in some places right, while in others you’re wrong, Koerni.

Stencyl shouldn’t ever be “make my game for me”-type of program, because such programs are often restricted to one genre (RPG Maker) or are very limited in functionality (original scratch, IG Maker).

But if someone already made code you need (e.g. enemies AI, platforming code) and put it on Forge, why not use it? Is something cool in writing same (or very similar) code doing same thing, when you have code you need on your disposal (Forge)?

Even in my Adventure Island clone (called Adventure Cavern, is on kong too) I’ve used mostly behaviors from Forge, doing my own only for Adventure Island-specific quirks (and even there often there are modified behaviors, for example “hunger” system is basically health pack attached to Irioth (main protagonist of game) with custom health display) and enemy AI.

Flag Post

I think you misunderstood, I´m totally Pro-Stencyl.
Of course, forge is made for this, and it is a great thing, as a big obstacle for new developers is “I´m a artist, im so artistic you have to pay me if you want your graphics”.
Thus, it`s especially great when you want a quick prototype for your game.

But as you say, things can and should be modified.
If Stencyl announces itself as “download things and build your game without any programming” in the crash course, then it`s clear many “oldschool”-programmers don`t like it.
You could say the crash course is like a game-tutorial which focuses on explaining the WASD-controls instead of the dozens of other buttons.

So, all i wanted to say was that the problem doesn`t lie in a lack of possibilities, but in the way Stencyl advertises itself.
I think if you would for example, encourage the user to build Mambos behaviour himself, there wouldn`t be that many uploaded spam games, as it would be clear from the beginning what making a game with stencyl is real like.
(i would really love seeing Abygails tutorial instead of the crash course, it`s simple, but it shows how creating behaviours works and slowly refines the game instead of leaving the user with some harmless baddies to jump on)

Flag Post

I understood that you’re pro-stencyl. Just wanted to correct some things. Sorry if it wasn’t clear. But I agree Crash Course should be refined and blended with Design Mode Intro (there was something called that when Stencyl was in private beta. Basically it was crash course, but instead of making game, we made behavior. Dunno if it is still there though).

Flag Post
Originally posted by warrington:

The bright side being my games

so many games
so little revenue

Flag Post

tl;dr “Waaaaaahhhh waaah people are trying to learn about something I like waaah someone has an interest in something that i do waaah waaahhh i was making flash before it was cool whhhaaaaahh” — You (AKA. Hipster Douche-sack # 13245)

Become better at being on the internet, get more experience in online interactions, newb.

Flag Post

I enjoy that this thread is still going. Makes me want to release something to murder it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by damijin:

I enjoy that this thread is still going. Makes me want to release something to murder it.

???

Flag Post
Originally posted by vincentpride:

Novadude987
I don’t understand why people are attacking Stencyl.

Because Stencyl devaluates game development, dumbing it down to a simplified constructor.

Sure, high quality entertainment will always require professional tools and coding, but that’s not the deal. In the next few years flash portals will be bogged down with never ending waves of low-quality garbage, and I’m not proud of this future, neither as a user nor as a developer, especially.

Stencyl does not in any way shape or form devalue game development. To say that is to say the Unreal Engine devalues game development since some professional game designers choose to use it instead of building their own engine from scratch.

All Stencyl has done is lower the barrier of entry. And that is a GOOD thing. It hasn’t made it any easier for people to spam; spammers can easily just copy and paste the fully intact games from zip files on ‘learn to make x game in flash’ sites.

What’s next? People posting low quality youtube videos will ruin the movie industry?

Flag Post

Finally time to end this flame. I flagged it as spam.