Forums Stencyl

Is it possible to convert a Stencyl file to Flash?

18 posts

Flag Post

Hey.
Just wondering, is it possible to make a game in Stencyl, then convert it to .fla and edit it in Flash?
I have not downloaded Stencyl yet.

Thanks.

Flag Post

Stencyl outputs a SWF file. You would have to disassemble it (which I’m sure there are programs for) and somehow make it into a .FLA file (which I doubt there are programs for).

I’m not sure why you’d want to do this, in any case.

Flag Post

Because I like Flash because I am more comfortable with it. I also have the paid software.
If I make a base game in Stencyl, I would rather continue editing it in Flash Professional.

Flag Post

I don’t think its possible. Stencyl games use the Flixel library for the internal engine, which AFAIK cannot be back-ported into Flash.

Flag Post

No, Stencyl (as is Flixel ) is using Flex the free, code-only version of flash

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ruudiluca:

Hey.
Just wondering, is it possible to make a game in Stencyl, then convert it to .fla and edit it in Flash?
I have not downloaded Stencyl yet.

Thanks.

You mean convert swf file(s) to .fla , right?. So here is the answer:
Convert swf to fla

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Uh..it Kinda is a Flash File.

Flag Post

I believe the question was intended to determine if it is possible to convert Stencyl’s game format into a format usable by Adobe Flash, the actual software that can be used to create SWF files, and not the player for them.

Flag Post

Sothink swf converter will do the job no problem.

I used it quite a bit when i needed to break down swfs in order to figure out how they worked.

Flag Post

You don’t need to convert the .swf

If you look at your stencylworks folder (where the games are placed), there’s another folder called “preview” which is the last previewed game as a collection of actionscript files.

You should be able to import those to Flash along with a few support files like assets, Flixel and box2d

Flag Post

Short answer, no. You can’t start editing them in flash. Also, its against Stencyl’s T&C’s. If you did manage to get it working, you won’t be able to use any of the resources. I’d just stick with one or the other, less hassle.

Flag Post

Stencyl files ARE flash.
That’s why you can upload them here.

Flag Post

Platinum_Shadow: Pay attention to what has been said already. There is a difference between loading SWF files in Adobe Flash Player (to view them) and loading FLA files in Adobe Flash Professional (to edit them and potentially export as SWF later).

Originally posted by dotHectate:

I believe the question was intended to determine if it is possible to convert Stencyl’s game format into a format usable by Adobe Flash, the actual software that can be used to create SWF files, and not the player for them.