Forums Stencyl

Stencyl - a few words of scepticism

5 posts

Flag Post

What kind and quality of game you may expect from a developer, who is not even able to wrap his head around basic scripting and who lacks any essential ActionScript programming skills? To rephrase the question, what kind of sexual relief should a woman expect from a one-night stand with a guy, who doesn’t even know, what the G-spot is?

Do flash portals really need more pretentious artsy garbage, put together by another myriads of “idea men”, just because emerging technologies made it easy for them to build their way through all the traditional hoops of game development?

If somebody is either so handicapped or so lazy to understand the basic idea behind this:

package
{
class YourGameObjectX
{
// variables (= params of your object)

// functions (= things that objects can do)

// logics inside functions
(= calling other functions, changing parameters of other objects)
}
}

then may be interactive software development isn’t their prize, is it?

Flag Post

In response to your troll post, I will first point you toward a long list of software development languages that work utilizing a visual aspect rather than requiring a user (as in the programmer, a user of the language) to type endlessly like the metaphorical million (code)monkeys randomly in the hopes of producing the complete works of Shakespeare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_programming_language

Secondly, I will note for you that the quality of a game is entirely dependent on the designer – who may at times be (and quite frequently is) entirely independent of the programmer who implements the design. Indeed, the type of person who makes a good programmer is a very logical, systematic thinker while designers need the opposite – dynamic, organic creativity. It’s certainly true that many people can do both, but not everyone.

http://www.caffeinatedcoder.com/guest-post-good-programmers-make-bad-designers/

Finally, what is the benefit to hand-typing code and memorizing syntax when there’s newer and more efficient ways of doing things? Or, to rephrase the question as you did, what kind of turnaround time should a teacher expect from their students if they were to require them to produce their four-page, double-spaced writing assignment using only a movable-type press?

Neither handicap nor laziness prohibit me from understanding the basic ideas behind your pseudo-code. In fact, my minor AS3/Flixel experience has been immensely helpful when using Stencyl. But I still prefer the visual programming language of Design Mode over hand-typed code any day. That doesn’t make interactive software development any less my “prize”.

Your move.

Flag Post

Those MS Visual stuff suck, but other “visual” stuff is good.

Flag Post

I’d like to put in my 2 cents about Stencyl. It has some nice features, like a built-in physics system… but I could write a 1000 word rant about all the bad design elements and bugs that are in it. No calling local variables from anywhere other than the object that has those variables. The program has to be refreshed to update its variables list. Et cetra. And now that Flash is kaput, there’s not much point learning a tool to make Flash games with.

That said, the idea of a more visual programming tool is good. If PROPERLY done, it saves the one-man-team designer a lot of grunt work (like re-creating physics) and lets him develop ideas faster.

Flag Post

SkullSoft: Thanks for the feedback. If you have specific bugs you’re encountering, it’d be great if you could detail them (preferably on the stencyl.com forums) so they can be fixed. I’m not sure what design elements you’re considering bad, but StencylWorks is under continuous development so if you make a case for a change I know it’ll be at least considered as well. Your suggestions can only make it better!

I’m not sure what the issue is you’re detailing about local variables. Attributes can be retrieved from other behaviors using blocks in the messaging categories. Here’s a link to some examples: http://static.stencyl.com/swHelp/en/html/main/blocks/messaging/ForActor/Attributes.html

Also, while I disagree that Flash as a game platform is done. There are quite a few computers utilizing it still (http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplatformruntimes/statistics.html) that will be using it for some time. On top of that, learning StencylWorks means you could create games for iOS devices, and soon enough for Android devices and HTML5 as well! So, even if Flash does die instantly tomorrow – there’s no loss to knowing the software.