Forums Stencyl

what should i use to create the art for actors?

9 posts

Flag Post

should i use paint? does the size of what i draw in paint matter? what is an easy way to create animations (when u only want one bit of ur actor to move how do u not redraw the whole actor (which to replicate it exactly i imagine would b very difficult))? is u guys could link me some tutorials u think i would find helpful i would much appreciate it. yes i have looked on stencyl.com and in the stencylpedia but i havent found wat im looking for >_< so links would b really helpful =)

Flag Post

Google would be helpful. But use GIMP.

Flag Post

thanks i will try that =) any other suggestions? (and yes i did look on google as well)

Flag Post

If you’re going after pixelart, try Aseprite. I’s great tool and support animations.

Flag Post

thank you =) i will have a look. lama my computer wont run gimp =\ is there any other suggestions?

Flag Post

o_O How can’t it run GIMP? Did you download the right version for your operating system?

If you’re on Windows, try Paint.net then. Or Graphics gale, or Inkscape. But I myself keep using Gimp, even though I have photoshop and illustrator as well.

Flag Post

I was wondering the same thing: how to make the actors and whatnot, but then I used Aseprite like MyCrossSoft said, and it’s perfect! I love it already lol.

Flag Post

I just thought I’d throw this in. But if I’m not mistaken the Stencyl program has it’s own graphic editor. Just click the actor whose image or frames you want to make. Then click edit frame(external) or create frame(external). And the graphic editor will start. Although I assume to animate you would just have to draw more frames for the movement.

Flag Post

Graphics Gale is great for pixel art, Inkscape for vector graphics.

I use Photoshop CS6 Extended with plugins so I can see the animations by putting different frames in different layers but as Lama said, GIMP is a good alternative. Use what works for you.