Forums Stencyl

more issues im having (last issue)

18 posts

Flag Post

so now im following a tutorial for creating a tower defence game with stencyl a friend sent me, and ive done pretty ell up until the point where my towers are sending bullets out to damage enemys (here http://blog.publysher.nl/2012/04/tutorial-creating-tower-defense-game-in.html#!/2012/05/stencyl-tower-defense-4-shooting.html ) the problem is my bullets function properly but they dont reduce my enemys damage. now the step befor this (http://blog.publysher.nl/2012/04/stencyl-tower-defense-2-adding-towers.html#!/2012/04/stencyl-tower-defense-3-getting-healthy.html) here was working fine as the enemys got within the region which damaged them and they became damaged, but this new code just isint working for some reason.

any ideas?

Flag Post

Your thread title says that you fixed the issue, but I’m not getting that impression from your post. Anyway, if you can post all the code blocks for the behaviors “Flying Bullet” and “Shoot Targets in Range,” we can have a look at what the problem is.

The tutorial does not mention this, but you’ll need to create the following custom attributes for the “Flying Bullet” behavior: dx, dy, Minimum Distance, and Bullet Speed. They are all of type Number. I recommend that you set dx and dy as hidden attributes.

Flag Post

oh dont worry i fixed it, problem was i swapped 2 positions that i shouldent have, suprizing what lil things change how it works.

but now i have another problem, ive been following a tutorial to help me get into the way this all works and how i should make things and stuff. anyway i was following this http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,9984.0.html tutorial when on #6 i ran into the program not working. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Awrm8M9sd44/T61HbUNvcUI/AAAAAAAAALc/2ThqElL03mM/s1600/step6-4.png this is the code i was using though publysher went back in #9 and replaced it with this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tjZWSSNbMiw/T9ScLSmRXhI/AAAAAAAAAO8/fB069O4BzNw/s1600/step9-14.png which i later substituted but i contenued to get this problem http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7840/errorgn.png now i followed his tutorial on everything except i used my own animation examples and i made the pathway image its own actor type because i couldent think of a way to put it in otherwise (still new to this)

any ideas?

Flag Post

I’m trying to follow part 6, but the whole thing is so involved that I haven’t finished it yet, much less gotten to the correction in part 9. Anyway, if you get an error message like that, Stencyl will highlight the offending code block in red. Can you post a screenie of the entire code block, along with the red-highlighted portion?

Flag Post

it doesent show any red highlighted blocks in any of the behavures or anywhere else i could find, i looked already n just looked agian. unless its in the sorce code but idk how to veiw the whole programs code at once

Flag Post

i need to fix it or i cant finish da rest of dis tutorial D:

Flag Post

I’ve finished part 6 of the tutorial, but there was no bug in the game. Publysher mentioned that a bug in Stencylworks was causing the game to behave incorrectly when reloaded, but the problem did not occur in my game. My version of Stencyl is 2.2.0 (b502). Please check to see if you have the latest version installed. The setup file will not install the latest version. You will need to log in with a Stencyl account and update within Stencyl itself. If you don’t have a Stencyl account yet, you will have to register one.

Updating Stencyl will probably solve the problem that Publysher mentioned, but it may not solve your problem. I suggest that after updating Stencyl, you revert your code to the one presented in part 6 of the tutorial then test your game. If it still doesn’t work, post a screenie of your “Spawn Enemies” code so we can review it. Rather than using the [PrtSc] key, which will only take a screenshot of whatever you have on your monitor, I suggest that you use the “Take Screenshot” button in Stencyl. You’ll find it at the bottom-right corner of the screen.

Flag Post

i have ver 2.2.0 so that wont be the answer but heres the code blocks :) http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1804/spawnenemys.png

Flag Post

Strange. Your code blocks seem to be exactly like the ones Publysher posted. My version of the game works perfectly fine. I think the only way we can get to the bottom of this is if you upload your entire game so we can see what else might be the problem.

There are two ways to upload a Stencyl game. You can publish it to StencylForge, but then it will be visible by all Stencyl users. Alternatively, you can compress your entire game folder in ZIP or RAR format and upload it to your favorite file hosting site. You’ll find your game folder somewhere inside your user folder. You’re using Windows 7, so your game folder would be in [User Folder]\AppData\Roaming\Stencyl\stencylworks\games. The AppData is a hidden folder, so you’ll have to set Windows 7 to Show Hidden Folders if you haven’t already done so.

Flag Post

um i could convert it into a swf, couldent figure out what your asking (im a game designer n stuff but no clue how to use computers sometimes) can i pm it to you?

Flag Post

No, I wouldn’t be able to read your code and settings if you convert it to a swf.

Anyhow, there’s an easier way to access your game files. When you run Stencyl, you will see the Welcome Center, which lists all Stencyl games on your computer. Right-click the icon for your Tower Defense game and click “Export…” at the context-sensitive menu. Choose the folder to export your game in then press the Save button. This will create a file with a .stencyl extension in your chosen folder. This is the file you will upload to a file hosting site.

There are many file hosting sites to choose from. One good, free site is www.box.com. You’ll need to register your user name and password before you can use it. When done, follow the instructions for uploading your stencyl file. There will be a button that you will need to press to get a link to your file. Press that button and copy the link then paste it in this thread or PM it to me.

Flag Post

Ok, I finally nailed the bug. You should delimit the letter codes of the wave with spaces. See the picture below.

Flag Post

omg! xD cant believe these minor details biting me in the butt, ty, i also notice i should probably have smaller entities (they were supost to be smaller but i forgot to downsize them) or less spawn points x3

Flag Post

thanks elyzius

Flag Post

ok one last problem, ive finished the tutorial but the last bit the tutorial teaches you to do, which is the “win game” codeblock for a player whos survived all the waves will not work for some reason, the “you lose” codeblock is working though, but i cant find any difforences between the tutorials code and my own that would cause this issue

Flag Post

If you upload your game and give me a link to it, I can probably debug it faster.

Flag Post

It took me a while to figure this one out because I hadn’t been following the TD tutorial since you last requested help on part 6. Anyhow, you need to edit the custom event “when enemy_spawned happens” in the Number of Waves Manager. See below.

Flag Post

yay, thank you