Forums Stencyl

What do YOU think of my game?

7 posts

Flag Post

Hello mates! This is my first ever game with stencyl and I was wondering what everyone thinks of it. Thanks for the help!
http://www.kongregate.com/games/IdreesInc/sky-jumper

Flag Post

I do not believe you should be posting games you made on stencyl to kongregate.

Flag Post

For a first game this is amazing. You implemented an upgrade system which is nice but i don’t think it fits in with the platformer having to buy the upgrades if you set it as a system where you earn the upgrade it might work better. I’m also assuming you used the jump and run behavior which gives it easy control with minimal errors but there are a few graphic problems that i noticed for example the fox looks like its shuffling rather than running this can be easily fixed by extending the time before the frame is changed or if you are afraid it might look choppy instead ad some more transition frames. Also it would nice to have a different animation for the double/triple jump but other than that this is an amazing example of how stencyl can allow people to express their creative vision without needing to learn an entire coding language

Flag Post

There’s nothing wrong with uploading Stencyl-created games to Kongregate. In fact, Kongregate sponsored at least one game that was made entirely in Stencyl.

That said, I’d say that the OP’s game is good for a first game, but it does have problems. I don’t like the fact that you can’t jump on a platform if you collide with its bottom side. Most other platformers allow you to jump from under a platform. I’m aware that this is currently a problem with Stencyl, but there are ways to work around it. If you search the Stencyl forums, you’ll find some workarounds that aren’t 100% perfect but may suit your needs.

Also, I find it frustrating that if the screen moves faster than the avatar, he dies. I was not aware that this was how you intended the game to work until my character died a few times. Regardless, there is no logical reason why a camera that pans faster than the avatar can move is dangerous. I’ve seen games where the avatar tries to run from tidal waves and a huge stream of lava, and not being able to outrun it makes sense. A killer camera does not.

You may want to include an in-game tutorial. Simple instructions that tell players to use the arrow keys to move will suffice as long as they are presented at the start of the game. Being able to double-jump should also be explained.

Anyhow, congratulations on a good first attempt at making a Flash game. The artwork looks original and decent, which is a plus. It’s certainly much better than what most programmers can come up with. Keep making games, and you’ll get better at it.

Flag Post

It was very good for a first game.

Flag Post

Keep it simple, thats how you do it. Dont get too complex like I am doing on my first game.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aceeri:

I do not believe you should be posting games you made on stencyl to kongregate.

Nobody should post the first game they’ve put together to kong. Especially Stencylers…this is why Kong’s quality as a gaming site is dropping exponentially and the D tag means nothing anymore.