Forums Stencyl

Just finished my first game, ever.

2 posts

Flag Post

What do you guys think about it? Its my first game, and i plan for a few more Stencyl games, and then moving on to writing the code myself.

www.kongregate.com/games/KorkuVeren/circlebot

Flag Post

Not bad. Some of the colors should be more vivid, I think. I’m not sure if you’re using colors optimized for the web, but some strong primaries will help you out. In particular the background for the level select screen melts my eyes.

There’s no indication of what’s done, either. On the level select, it helps the player if you show their progress. If they haven’t completed a level, a little box next to it shows as empty. When they play it and the victory conditions are met, change the variable levelOneBeaten (or whatever) from 0 to 1. A Stencyl list should be able to help you here. Just have the index number of the list correspond to the level number, and then change the values as they’re completed.

So for instance in this list:

01 | 0
02 | 0
03 | 0
04 | 0
05 | 0
06 | 0
07 | 0
08 | 0
09 | 0
10 | 0

…none of the levels have been beaten. But in this example:

01 | 1
02 | 1
03 | 1
04 | 0
05 | 1
06 | 0
07 | 0
08 | 0
09 | 1
10 | 0

Levels 1, 2, 3, 5, and 9 have been beaten. Then, when the level select screen appears, it reads the list. If an index has a 0, it shows the sprite for an empty box next to the level. If it’s a 1, have it change the sprite to a checked box. In this way, the player would be able to see they’ve already beaten levels 1, 2, 3, 5, and 9.

Also, never never ever never underestimate the importance of story, even if it’s just a crappy one. You say the cursor is a robot, but it doesn’t look like one. Give it/him/her a name. Why is it doing what it’s doing? Why not… radiation danger? That would explain the dead lines. Must dispose of radioactive material. Or maybe the supervisor robot is coming down for an inspection and our robot character has to clean up as fast as possible.

Little things like those give the game a lot more depth. :)

EDIT: added the tables