Forums Stencyl

Stencyl is mind poison

8 posts

Flag Post

I have spent hours upon hours wasting time trying to get Stencyl to follow any sort of logic but its just junk. My game is so basic- its Scrabble. It little to no graphics or actors but it drags to a halt.
Stencyl 2.2 is absymal in the following areas-
text input.
text output
mouse control (mediocre)- can’t use a mouse to do anything more than move it.
logic- totally ignore what I programme- in same situation it sometimes won’t work.
stencyl community- fanatics who don’t care how limited Stencyl is and particularly Tuo- he is time waster who no intention of helping in any way.
Time- here is a Stencyl death threat- do after a million years kill you- it kills you now and then “waits”.
Its so hard the mind poison out.

Provided you don’t have any of the above- you’ll be fine.

Flag Post

Perhaps you just don’t know what you are doing? Not trying to attack you, but that fact that you have spent mere “hours” working on a game and have poor results, even for something as ‘trivial’ as a Scrabble game… Even the simplest of games can take many weeks of development time by a small handful of developers. Have you tried looking on YouTube for video tutorials?

If all else fails, perhaps you should consider using Unity. It’s a great platform and can publish to anything from iOS to NACL, to Android, to PS3 to Wii, and a few others as well.

Best of all you can program in JavaScript, which makes it popular with the wannabe 11 yo “game developers.” It can also use C#, should you actually know what you are doing and want to use a powerful programming language.

Flag Post

I just can’t agree with you. I have try Stencyl for quite a while and I am pretty believe in its potential. It is limited, no question. But acceptable.
The things that you have listed out, I only have problems with the texting. The rest, no. And I believe you have some serious problem with Tuo. Don’t take it personal.
And I have no idea about the logic thing. stencyl is a program. It can’t think by itself. It only obeys. The fact is that you can’t understand the prorgam’s logic does not mean it does not logic at all.
All I guess is that you have just tried it for a few days, and don’t run through the crash course. ( just my guess).
And for the record, may be this is not an excuse, but seriously there should be some space for sympathy for a one man company.

Flag Post
Originally posted by cloa513:

I have spent hours upon hours wasting time trying to get Stencyl to follow any sort of logic but its just junk. My game is so basic- its Scrabble. It little to no graphics or actors but it drags to a halt.
text input.
text output
logic- totally ignore what I programme- in same situation it sometimes won’t work.
stencyl community- fanatics who don’t care how limited Stencyl is and particularly Tuo- he is time waster who no intention of helping in any way.
Time- here is a Stencyl death threat- do after a million years kill you- it kills you now and then “waits”.

Your punctuation and generally your english gives me mind poisoning.

Flag Post

text input.
text output

The most simple games can take several weeks to several months, perhaps it is just you not know stencyl correctly. I hope you have luck with that scrabble game.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

text input.
text output

Stencyl is not limited, in fact you could probably create a game like this if you put lots of work by creating animations, events and stuff but it would be horribly time-consuming. At least it is possible if you know basic Stencyl stuff.

Flag Post

He posted this in July 2013 and never even responded. It’s gotten a few new versions including 3.0 since then. Let’s leave it be :)