New quest interface

7 posts

Flag Post

Let’s see what you think of the new quest interface I’m currently working on. Take a look and let me know:

http://herenvale.s3.amazonaws.com/images/test/quests_v2.jpg

Flag Post

Just a couple things at first glance. I am guessing the close button closes that view and should probably be replaced with the traditional X in the upper right corner. Second and more important I know the UI is very clean but it does not fit with the steam punk genre. You need to change the whole solid color concept to something broken up, and this includes the border. Good examples of this are on the home page for the news area and the features items title area. Also at the top of the UI the use of the gears could also be used to help the design.

One thing I just noticed but am not sure about is in the current version of the game you have what looks like repeating boxes on all the edges of the faded blue background. Check the home area for the best view. I do not know if these are intentional or what was accidentally put there because of the edge fade or part of the design.

Flag Post

Okay – let’s talk about the goals of the new quest UI: 1) Clearer communication of information. 2) More interactive interface. 3) More interesting interaction. 4) Better (or more consistent) gameplay between quests and pvp and even raids. I think #1 and #2 are clear winners with the updated UI. It’s not clearly shown in the mock-up but loot items will be better highlighted when they drop. #3 and #4 are things that might come as sort of a phase 2. The new interface will allow for different players to do different damage based on their stats and the mobs to do damage to the player taking into account the player’s armor and ability to dodge (again based on stats like speed). I only mention raids because I want to move in that direction for them as well (using players’ stats – perhaps not in tier i but maybe starting in ii or iii).

I think the Close button is a little more clear than the X, and that’s why I went in that direction. I agree though that more of the game design elements could be integrated. That might be a phase 2 thing as well.

The repeating boxes are a part of the design – some are a little artifacted as the quality of the image was reduced from the original high-res version to reduce the file size and therefore download time.

Flag Post

Looks good, though I do agree, people find the X in the corner intuitive, even if you just moved the close button above the text.
Other suggestion would be to try a graphic for the health remaining instead of the green bar. A little bit more flavor imagery etc.

Apart from that, it does look more interesting and more interactive, I also like the loot chance shown. Honestly I think you are hitting pretty close to your 4 goals with this style.

Flag Post

looks good. I could see tweaks that might make it better (the x in the corner is on that list) but overall, I wouldn’t complain if this was added. I hope we can see the fight as it happens.

Flag Post

Wanted to post an update:

http://herenvale.s3.amazonaws.com/images/test/quests_v2a.jpg

Flag Post

kk, still wish it had the x but i can live without it. now i just have to ask two things: one, will our hp in the quests affect pvp too? two: how much longer till u launch public on kong?