Triffids

6 posts

Flag Post

Do you think triffids are possible, and what would you do if they came about like they do in the day of the triffids. These are not the rubbish triffids who are destroyed by seawater. And yes I know there have been countless topics like this, but they were on zombies.

Flag Post

Triffids are (fictional) plants capable of animal-like behavior: they feed on rotting meat, are able to uproot themselves and move about on their three “legs”, possess a deadly whip-like poisonous sting, and appear to communicate with each other. (Wikipedia)

No I don’t think plants that can think and communicate will ever come to be. Flesh eating plants yes but talking and running plants, I’d have to go with a no.

Flag Post

In short, no. Nature “randomly” forming a new life form is hardly ever going to go in predicted directions (except under laboratory conditions) because we can’t predict how the environment will change and what random things will cause it to cope.

Flag Post

Wouldn’t the cellular structure of a plant (cell walls and such) make it a bit too rigid for anything as delicate as walking or talking? Anything that fit this description would probably make us re-define “plant”, not to mention I don’t see any reason why this particular mythical creature is any more or less likely than any other mythical creature.

Flag Post

well there is a plant that can “walk” and it says it seems that that they can communicate. So all you need to do is cross breed Venus flytrap (or other carnivorous plant) and this “walking” plant and you may get a triffid

Flag Post

I couldn’t for the life me find anything about a “walking plant.” I found a walking tree. But it doesn’t really walk, it more drags itself and that’s only about three feet a year. Either way I don’t see a plant developing the ability to think. At least not in any way that we would ever be able to understand or recognize as thinking. But then again, plants may already be able to “think” in a way we can’t understand.