All religious groups

33 posts

Flag Post

why cant they all just form one massive religion ? how hard could it be too gods from diffrent religous groups that sound like they the same thing just name it something diffrent and give it nicknames :/ ? (ya i probably have no idea what im talking about but thats probably because im oblivious to the world)

(btw what is a Ja-hobo?? some persion at my school just randomly yelled that "Ja-hobos are fake)

Flag Post

Like Phoenix just said, we already have TONS of threads on Religion.

Post your question one of the five or so religious threads instead of making your own.

Flag Post

but arnt the otehrs asking of specific religions?? i want to discuss em all

Flag Post

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/9/topics/2269?page=37

Flag Post

btw what is a Ja-hobo??

I would imagine it’s supposed to be a hilarious pun on Jehovah.

Flag Post

Where Jehovah is a (the?) name of the Christian God.

In any case, yes, we have tons of religion threads. Additionally, this is not really a debatable point. Many religions are very, very specific and steadfast in their beliefs. They see small differences between them as very significant, even among sects of Christianity. If the denominations of Christians can’t even agree I hardly see how you can expect Christians to say “Oh, yeah, I suppose Allah is just the same as Jehovah…let’s just get along.” There are multiple, disagreeing religious texts, and to abandon them in favor of some sort of consensus would be a violation of many of these religions.

However, you should look into Unitarian Universalism, which is probably the closest thing I’ve seen to what you’re talking about.

Flag Post

it would be extremly hard, as a christian, and mythology lover; im sure that im qualified to say that the varios creation, destruction, and even ruling party theorys cant be easly mixed. an example the bible says that christ was the son of god, yet quran looks at christ more as another prophet. also some religouns are polytheistic, meaning they have more than one god. these include hinduism,buddhism,taoism, and hundreds more. monotheistic religins include the very well-known christianty, judaism, and islam, and those get divided even more because of varios squabbles through-out history such as luthers 95 theses, the crusades (some muslims supported the crusaders), and the inquistion.

Flag Post

In any case, yes, we have tons of religion threads. Additionally, this is not really a debatable point. Many religions are very, very specific and steadfast in their beliefs. They see small differences between them as very significant, even among sects of Christianity.

and the irony is, hardly any 2 christians believe the exact same things.

Flag Post

there is one thing, I forget what it’s called, it’s believing that all religions go to the same heaven, so, muslims,christians,buddhists, etc. would go to heaven, however all religions are still fighting with each other, and there’d be no way all religions could agree, I guarantee that.

Flag Post

so sorry to let everyone know…… but nobodys perfect. And you have to be perfect to go to heaven. Thats where jesus comes in,,,,,, he died on the cross to make us perfect in gods eyes….. through jesus we go to heaven…. we cant earn it,,,,,, thats the only way…… AMEN

Flag Post

Jesus didnt die and come back to life his look alike did.

Flag Post

Where Jehovah is a (the?) name of the Christian God.

It is what mainstream Christians used to believe is the name of God since all written account only had the consonants written down. Later archaeological finds favor Yahweh (same consonants in Hebrew), but the Jehovah’s witnesses (who would refer to themselves as Christians though many others wouldn’t) stick to Jehovah.

They see small differences between them as very significant, even among sects of Christianity.

Historically, this has led to some ridiculous disagreements. Luckily its not as common nowadays (in the two countries I’ve been in, don’t know about the rest). It appears they have realized to some degree that things they disagree on tend to be ritualistic things that were handed down within the church that had been treated as part of the belief.

and the irony is, hardly any 2 christians believe the exact same things.

You should meet Christians who actually study the bible, they tend to agree a lot more on beliefs. Then again, every second cult claims to be Christian so I’m not surprised you came to this conclusion. On top of that there are a lot of people who think a Christian is someone who shows up to church every Sunday or because their parents were Christian that they are too. Personally I think thats the same as saying you are a muslim because you walked into the mosque one day or because your parents were muslims. Its an issue that annoys me to no end.

monotheistic religins include the very well-known christianty, judaism, and islam, and those get divided even more because of varios squabbles through-out history such as luthers 95 theses, the crusades (some muslims supported the crusaders), and the inquistion.

Many of these conflicts were caused by difference in beliefs, they were not the reason for their differences. Then there were also the ones where the various religions were manipulated used as motivators for war. The crusades were one of the worse examples of this.

there is one thing, I forget what it’s called, it’s believing that all religions go to the same heaven, so, muslims,christians,buddhists, etc. would go to heaven, however all religions are still fighting with each other, and there’d be no way all religions could agree, I guarantee that.

I’m not certain, but I think that is Universalism.

so sorry to let everyone know……

If you’re sorry to let everyone know then please don’t. Christians celebrate the gospel, they don’t preach in sorrow or in arrogance because those things just don’t mix with the message.

Flag Post

stefan, I believe rainmaker was being somewhat sarcastic, as far as I know, everyone knows that nobody is perfect, I belive that is a universal truth.

Flag Post

stefan, I believe rainmaker was being somewhat sarcastic, as far as I know, everyone knows that nobody is perfect, I belive that is a universal truth.

Doesn’t mean I agree with the hint of arrogance in there any more than before. Christians who proclaim the word of God without even trying to understand where other people are coming from have driven away more people from Christianity than draw them to it. Its not the message I have a problem with, its the delivery.

Flag Post

Christians sometimes do deliver it poorly. Expeccialy the extreme consevitives that screem your going to hell if you don’t accept God in your face. :) When I say extreme conservites I mean the people who think that women shouldn’t wear pants, rock is bad, women shouldn’t cut their hair, and other rules on the same level of sillyness.

Flag Post

Jesus didnt die and come back to life his look alike did

plzz tell me that was just nonsense. If it isn’t than that is the silliest thing I have ever heard.

Flag Post

You should meet Christians who actually study the bible, they tend to agree a lot more on beliefs. Then again, every second cult claims to be Christian so I’m not surprised you came to this conclusion. On top of that there are a lot of people who think a Christian is someone who shows up to church every Sunday or because their parents were Christian that they are too. Personally I think thats the same as saying you are a muslim because you walked into the mosque one day or because your parents were muslims. Its an issue that annoys me to no end.

You still mis interpreted what I said, They might agree 99.99% but they’ll come across one paragraph and interpret it slightly different to there friend, even if it’s just one thing, which hence my point is, no one follows the exact same religion.

Flag Post

sure there are very few things in the bible that are true most of it is crap that the christian romans came up with

Flag Post

Wait, what? I’ve never met 2 scientists that agree on 100% of everything, either. Granted, science is based on logic and evidence where religion is based on belief and piety, I still don’t think that’s a valid reason to disregard religion. People disagreeing doesn’t make something wrong. Hell, that’d defeat every single new idea proposed since forever. If 2 friends figure out the meaning of life, but they disagree on how to spell it, that doesn’t mean the meaning, or some part of that meaning is inherently false. It just means that there’s enough people thinking about it to where something is questioned.

I’m starting to defend Christians now, which means the atheist arguments are starting to appeal to absurdity. I think this happens on all religious/serious forums because the atheists’ initial logic of “There’s no reason to believe in God.” (Which is the only logic that is purely sound) is tossed away by the theists (because they’re never going to agree with that) and the atheists move on to rhetoric and other fallacious logic to prove their gnostic belief. It’s why I hate identifying as an pure Atheist.

Flag Post

NVM

Flag Post

Christians sometimes do deliver it poorly. Expeccialy the extreme consevitives that screem your going to hell if you don’t accept God in your face. :) When I say extreme conservites I mean the people who think that women shouldn’t wear pants, rock is bad, women shouldn’t cut their hair, and other rules on the same level of sillyness.

A world with a lot of women complaining about how unmanageably their hair has become and having to wear skirts all the time with no rock music as a relief later? They really must think we’re going to hell, they’re trying to warm us up before we go. :-P

Granted, science is based on logic and evidence where religion is based on belief and piety

I wouldn’t call religion completely without evidence. I still cringe every time someone yells Jesus never existed since there are more than enough records (Christian and other wise) to show that he did. The only debate on that issue as far as I’m concerned is whether he was the Son of God or a really convincing madman who believed he was the son of God so much that he stuck to his delusion through torture and execution, with others doing the same after him.

I’m starting to defend Christians now, which means the atheist arguments are starting to appeal to absurdity.

Or maybe you are seeing some points differently than before and they don’t look crazy anymore. Don’t worry, I doubt you’ll suddenly convert to a religion just from that.

You still mis interpreted what I said, They might agree 99.99% but they’ll come across one paragraph and interpret it slightly different to there friend, even if it’s just one thing, which hence my point is, no one follows the exact same religion.

I have to agree with the TheBSG’s response to this (the first paragraph at least). In the case of Evangelical Christians, we try to bring up these issues, explore the Biblical and historical context and share our perspectives on it. The greater the amount of context provided, the more people tend to agree. In fact I believe its Biblically commanded keep exploring the Bible and our beliefs in Matthew 22:37 where Jesus says “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.”. If God wanted us to follow Him blindly, it would have been a pretty bad move to ask us to use our minds.

Flag Post

Again…not what I meant >< I wasn’t using it as any reason for disbelieving if it was true or not. I was using it more to show how open it can be to interpretation, how if you wanted to twist the bible as far as you could you’re going to get…well another religion right. Yet religion thinks theres is the right religion and other people are wrong but all the followers change the rules. How you have an entire thing based on “strict rules”, yet at the same time, everyone changes the rules. Not because they going against there religion or anything, but because they read it in a different way.

Flag Post

How far you can bend Christianity (I can’t speak for other beliefs) depends on how much of the context you choose to apply. At the most basic level, this is seen as taking verses independently to prove points, ignoring how differently they are understood when read within their chapter or book. At a slightly larger scale you see examples like the literal interpretation of parables. They are parables used to illustrate a point, not something to be obeyed to the letter though the point it is trying to prove might be. One wrung further up the ladder you’ve got the example of the book of Revelation, which for the most part is the recording of a vision. Some people believe the events described in there will play out as they are written (some claim that we are after chapter ## and we should be ready for whats coming in chapter ##+1) when there are a few examples which show that the visions are not in chronological order. These are all things that you can chose to interpret differently, but not only if you remain ignorant about the context in which they lie.

I know I keep coming back to context, but it is an incredibly important thing for exactly this reason. People have done horrible things “in the name of God” by playing on people’s combination of belief and ignorance in the Bible. People aren’t perfect and our grasp of the Bible will always be lacking something, but by studying the Bible we can avoid these catastrophes.

EDIT: I hope I got what you meant this time :-P

Flag Post

I have returned, Stefan, with your reply to my last post, I agree, this is a serious flaw of many Christians to rub beliefs into other people’s faces, and yes, I think that Catholics were greedy morons in the dark ages.

Flag Post

at least the Catholic readers who lied about what was written in the bible.