Death Penalty page 2

49 posts

Flag Post

Putting someone to death could cost an easy 25 cents, bout the cost of a bullet. I have no pity for cold blooded murders and they have no rights as they gave them all up when they killed their victim.

and save society millions

guys get it straight death penalty costs MORE then life in prison, i realy dont see what millions you are talking about

Flag Post

No it doesnt, If you gave somebody life in prison, you have to pay for there meals, heating, waterbills etc. Killing them would cost much less.

Flag Post

It usually costs between 30% to 70% more to execute someone than to give them life without parole

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=108

Flag Post

No it doesnt, If you gave somebody life in prison, you have to pay for there meals, heating, waterbills etc. Killing them would cost much less.

You ignore the cost of all trials where the death penalty is a possibility. In order to avoid as much of the risk of killing an innocent person there are a lot of mandatory appeals and such.

It costs a lot of money.

Flag Post

ok im thinking that if it was used more they could take away death row and kill them like a month after the trial or ASAP that way they are gone fast and it costs almost nothing

Flag Post

Yes, but then more innocent people would die. Remember “better 1000 guilty men walk free than 1 innocent man be imprisoned”.

Flag Post

guys get it straight death penalty costs MORE then life in prison, i realy dont see what millions you are talking about

The comment was to the effect that if we don’t allow 15 years or so of costly appeals and just flat out put them to death then it would cost a lot less then keeping them caged for a lifetime. Don’t forget the millions spent on the prison system every year by the federal government. Those millions mentioned above. Incarcerating a prisoner for a year varies by state and by low security to maximum. In the end though it ranges from $38,000 to $80,000.

So in the end, cut out the massively huge extra piles of money the lawyers make during a capital murder trial. Cut out some of the majorly unnecessary chunks of the appeals process. Which are mostly just stalling tactics to keep their worthless butts alive. And frankly, how many people actually get off of death row because of one of those many many appeals. Cut it down to a more reasonable timetable, say a year or so. And I just saved millions of dollars and made it more efficient. But the justice system is sloppy and wasteful. Which is why it costs more to kill a killer then more people will make a year.

Flag Post

Remember “better 1000 guilty men walk free than 1 innocent man be imprisoned”.

Unless those 1000 guilty men are serial killers with chainsaws. That’s alot easier to say then to put into practice.

Flag Post

ok im thinking that if it was used more they could take away death row and kill them like a month after the trial or ASAP that way they are gone fast and it costs almost nothing

You would be so cavalier with the lives of potentially innocent people?

Flag Post

And frankly, how many people actually get off of death row because of one of those many many appeals

125 of them since 1976. There have been 1,102 executions in the same time, so for every ten people executed, one is released from death row.

http://www.amnestyusa.org/facts-and-figures/the-death-penalty-and-innocence/page.do?id=1101086&n1=3&n2=28&n3=99

Flag Post

Yet more proof that the death penalty is unnecessary. Yes put them in a cel for life, possibly with the worst things [eg. no tv, radio, allow books i think] but do not kill them, it is a waste of a human life.

Flag Post

ok the whole one innocent man and 1000guilty man thing is soooooooo stupid because if anyone had to acturally make that choice they would keep the innocent guy in prison. Also with DNA evidence growing that means there is a smaller chance of error and someday maybe there will be 0% chance of error

Flag Post

Look at the figures above. Would you still execute people immediately even if it turned out that 1 in 10 of them were innocent?

Flag Post

Thats a flaw of the death penelty unproductive, pure proof is a rarity

Flag Post

Exactly, so to say you could save money by eliminating the appeals process is ridiculous.

Flag Post

well its like the “Eye for an Eye” rule but it is time consuming and cost worthy to where not many places in the US have it but im not sure about anywhere else

Flag Post

Exactly, so to say you could save money by eliminating the appeals process is ridiculous.

Not eliminating, just paring down. People have spent upwards of 25 years on death row although the national average is 12.8 years. People have actually died of natural causes before their many many appeals ran out. In Florida, for example, a person’s appeals do not even start until the governor signs a death warrant something that can take years after conviction. Years of wasting money on a killer for no reason. In California convicted killers wait an average of four years before they are even given an attorney to begin the appeals process. Four years of waste because California is run by a pack of monkeys. Nobody is saying to eliminate the appeals. And I’m a huge fan of the innocence project. But 12.8 years of waste and a families suffering drawn out is ridiculous to me. How much money is saved by overhauling the system and paring it down to say 5 years even. I don’t see how a guy sitting on death row for so long that he dies of natural causes disproves my point.

Flag Post

Years of wasting money on a killer for no reason.

What of those found innocent after years? Was it wasted then?

Considering we are talking about KILLING someone, I think it the last we can do to make SURE that he’s guilty beforehand.

Flag Post

Do you support the idea of blood feuds? The death penalty is just an organised blood feud, and if laws are meant to be universal, then why is murder by the state legal.

Flag Post

im indifferent, but the gladitorial combat and payless work ideas sound good

Flag Post

People do have the right to live. Don’t they?

Flag Post

^no we have to earn that right (just give the grim reaper $5 and he should let you live)

Flag Post

The difference between execution and murder is state approval, nothing more.

No-one has the right to kill anyone.

Flag Post

exactly, it is massive and terrible hypocrisy on the part of the state.

“You shall not kill, but yeah we can, because it is different.”