Religion - With or against? page 2

31 posts

Flag Post

I guess we will have to wait untill we die to know which is right. Christians and Athiest both think they can piont out flaws of the other beleifs.

You realize there are other religions besides Christianity, right? Heck, Christians make up only about 1/3 of the population of the Earth.

Flag Post

Those numbers are difficult for me to believe. First off, there are so many weak Christians that are a lot more like Agnostics. Not to mention, measuring atheism is difficult, as there’s no national registration, church, or faction to measure with. Furthermore, taxes aren’t collected in a whole handful of countries with highly aboriginal populations that practice a great deal of paganism. While these numbers might be accurate numbers of “reported religions in 1st world countries,” I don’t think the numbers are viable in any other respect.

Flag Post

This is pulled off Wikipedia. I’d gladly take a look at another source if you’ve got one. This was one of the freely-available ones I found.

This chart is in pretty close agreement, and is an entirely different source:

And I think this is a third source that again has similar numbers.

Flag Post

I’m not arguing that the numbers themselves are inaccurate, I’m arguing that what they’re measuring isn’t necessarily useful. There’s a lot of immeasurable numbers that this graph probably doesn’t take into consideration, or simply cannot account for.

Flag Post

Ah, I misunderstood your point. However, I was simply trying to point out that the previous (perhaps accidentally implied) assumption that everyone is either Christian or Atheist was flawed, which I think we can conclude from these numbers, even allowing for some pretty extreme variation from self-reporting errors, bias, etc.

Flag Post

Oh, sorry, Of course I know there are other religions.