Myths like excaliber and pandoras box

26 posts

Flag Post

does anything like that actually exist ???

Flag Post

Can you be more specific? Which myths and which parts of the myths (The beasts, the people, the events, the items, etc.)?

Flag Post

Of course not. They’re just stories made to entertain and sometimes, to explain. These stories are like Chinese Whispers, start true, and quickly become pure fantasy.

Flag Post

If they were found to exist, they wouldn’t be myths anymore. Not entirely sure what you’re asking though.

Flag Post

As slipstream said, most likely they are a result of hundreds of different authors over a long period of time refining and revising the myths as they thought it necessary or wise.

Flag Post

well, i have a fork stuck in a bowl with some leftover tempura batter that’s really dried up by now. if you pull it out, you’ll become King of Doing my Dishes… ;P

no, seriously. if any of those mythical items turned out to be real, we wouldn’t know them as mythical anymore, and i believe if someone found some actually power-imbued item, everyone would have heard about that (presumaby RPG nerds would be the first to know) and the power source would have been investigated and put to use. those items tend to violate various laws of physics, though, so i’d say they’re fiction. Not entirely sure what you’re asking though, either.

Flag Post

well all myths came from something that was real.

Flag Post

no, that’s just b/s. www.snopes.com for further reference…

Flag Post

i’m just saying that someone had to get inspiration for these myths from somewhere.

Flag Post

seems you’re not really familliar with the comncept of fiction… an outbreak in terrorism and subsequent pillage of basic rights can inspire marvel to do Civil War, the end of the soviet union or the rise of the internet (or any other event of the late 80’s) could have inspired Neil Stephenson to write Snow Crash (which is brilliantly delirious and hilariuosly insane and over-the-top). Now for the comparison: a lot of the events of civil war have their parralels in reality (although Robert Downey Jr. has yet to become head of Homeland Security and the CIA), but as far as i know there are no mind-bending computer viruses yet and there certainly have not been any around in the 80’s (unless you count Kraftwerk, and i’m saying that’s kind of a stretch). nuclear-powered, suitcase-sized shrapnel-firing high-speed Gauss rifles? haven’t seen any lately. Never heard of any tree-sized, nuke-carrying, glass knife wielding Inuit Assassins.

the ancient myths that prevailed up until now have one thing in common: they have been put to paper very early (correct me if i’m wrong here, didn’t research that one) in the history of scripture of their country of origin. Oral accounts can survive a lot of time (most, if not all, of the old myths did before being written down), but being written down really boosts the chances of being remembered. Inherited oral accounts are like Chinese Whispers, as Slipstream pointed out. now imagine some bored old english brewery night watchmen one night taking turns telling stories and one of them just pulls this one about the sword lodged in the stone out of his sleeve, they really like the story and begin to elaborate on it, then they tell it to their children and grandchildren, who also really like it, so they tell it to the next generation again. the origin becomes lost in time, because it’s kind of a let-down to say “some drunk one night invented a story, and it goes like this:…”, compared to “Now this is a true story about love, hope, determination and a lot of other good things. Pretty exciting one, too.” Happens all the time. If you heard the myths of the year 3677, you’d shit bricks just thinking about what they imagine our times to be like.

Flag Post

Sasquatch?

Flag Post

not an ancient myth. if he exists, as of yet unconfirmed cryptid. no magic, none of the whole becoming-king-of-england or unleashing-the-evils-of-mankind-upon-the-world stuff. a gap in science, not a mythical object. but i’m a huge fan of cryptozoology, so feel free to start a thread about it if you have any info on that adeptly hiding son of a gun.

Flag Post

weve confirmed that something called the thylacine has existed… its a mix of the kangaroo an dingo.
more known as the tasmanian devil.

Flag Post

i know. your point?

Flag Post

>If you heard the myths of the year 3677, you’d shit bricks just thinking about what they imagine our times to be like.

Barring a global disaster, that seems fairly unlikely this side of the dark ages.

Pandoras box is at best a myth, Excalibur a facet of the King Arthur legend.

Flag Post

Well considering you just said “myths” I am sure some are bound to exist. It is such a broad term that it is just stupid to say none of them exist. But if you are going off of the two you have as examples and the like of thoses, then no, I do not think they are true.

Flag Post

well the myth that most people are waiting to see if true is the whole 2012 one. i know i am.

Flag Post

The 2012 one isn’t true either…

At the entire span of that Calender… The “2012” event would of happened Hundreds of times in Human history Alone… It just marks a solar event. that’s it.

Flag Post

(sorry for going off topic here but woah i thought this woulda got locked for not enougth info :/)

so what other :legendary" myths exist :/

Flag Post

Is “none of them” a decent answer? If you’d read your own thread, you’d realize that the only way a myth becomes memorable, is if it’s exaggerated to the point of unbelievable-ness. If we knew the origins of every legend, you’d find that they’re a lot less interesting (by that I mean the ones that actually have origins, and weren’t completely made up).

Flag Post

so what other :legendary” myths exist :/

Go to your library and get any book by Joseph Campbell. Everything he wrote about deals with myths and primitive society.

Flag Post

If we knew the origins of every legend, you’d find that they’re a lot less interesting (by that I mean the ones that actually have origins, and weren’t completely made up).

I dunno – the 300 Spartans at Thermopylae, while certainly exaggerated by Frank Miller, is still a pretty incredible story. History has lots of amazing stories, and yes some of them are embelished, but that doesn’t necessarily diminish the true story to the point of not being interesting.

Flag Post

These are more folk tale than myths. But, There is no way of decieding if they are real, or not.

Flag Post

I am Arthur King of the Britains

Flag Post

S.T.F.U. You are not the king of ANATANG!