Cleverness and knowledge

7 posts

Flag Post

What is the difference? do they require each other? does one apply to more people than the other? and who are these people? Are the a few questions on the subject that really interest me. My view on the first is that knowledge is simply knowing something, while cleverness is linking different pieces of knowledge and putting them to use. On the second question I feel that though, as mentioned, I feel cleverness requires some knowledge knowledge can be had with a complete lack of cleverness, the final two questions I feel are the most interesting, mainly as I have very little knowledge to relate to these and so cannot employ my meagre cleverness.

Flag Post

i think they go absurdly well together, but aren’t synonymous. An animal can be clever, but to have real knowledge isn’t so common for them (that could be debated, mind you)

be sure to not confuse knowledge for wisdom though. those are also two entirely different things.

Flag Post

Damneth, I had not thought of the knowledge-wisdom thing, I am slightly ignorant on that subject, what is the difference?

Flag Post

i think wisdom is closer to cleverness. it usually has more to do with morals and such.
you could have the knowledge to create an ultimate weapon, but would you have the wisdom to use it justly or even prevent it from being made lest it fall into the wrong hands?

Flag Post

Wow, I consider cleverness and knowledge to actually be almost entirely independent. It is perfectly feasible to have one without the other, neither, or both. Cleverness to me refers to your ability to handle new situations while knowledge has to do with your experience/learning of old situations.

Flag Post

i’d say building a makeshift phone out of string and paper cups when it’s really needed is clever, knowing how it works is knowledge and knowing to which use to put it would be wisdom, but maybe that’s just me.

Flag Post

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Cleverness is not putting it in a fruit salad.