Why did the US lose the Vietnam War?

254 posts

Flag Post

I believe that this is the ONLY conflict in which the side that has a complete air superiority and still manage to lose the war.

Flag Post

The escalation and introduction of over 500,000 American troops in South Vietnam during the early 60’s was absolutely unnecessary which resulted in over 58,000 deads. The US could have protected South Vietnam by air power alone. NIXON proved it during the Christmas bombing of Ha Noi and Hai Phong in 1972.

Flag Post

The Vietnam War is comparable to the Iraq War… These stalemate wars try to promote “freedom” through violence, and almost always result in “loss” (if loss means realizing that wasting billions is stupid.)

Flag Post

Not to mention air superiority is fairly young in the whole military history scheme of things. There are obviously other things that are important, as Vietnam demonstrates.

Flag Post

They lost the war because they lost the will (as a nation) to continue fighting.

Flag Post

Lost the war before we even started fighting. There was no reason to even fight the war. Communism is a system that will destroy itself, the war had nothing to do with our national defense. Look at Vietnam now that we left, far more progress towards westernization than we ever accomplished with war. We ultimately lost because the enemy refused to lose. The only way would could have won is if we invaded North Vietnam, which was never going to happen, and utterly destroyed the nation’s ability to wage war.

Flag Post

I don’t think it is even possible to fight a defensive war anymore. The offensive capabilities of modern war machines far outstrip any defensive capabilities we have.

Flag Post

true.
I found a quote anonymously (spelling?) linked to the US-Vietnam war.

“We were too bad to win the war, which is why the enemy were too good to lose it”

Flag Post

I don’t think it is even possible to fight a defensive war anymore. The offensive capabilities of modern war machines far outstrip any defensive capabilities we have.

yep, that’s why we use the principle of mutually assured destruction. pretty twisted world we’re living in, eh?

Flag Post

We had the Containment Policy which kept us from being on the offensive side with any Communist nation. We could only defend them from the Communist. You can’t defend forever like that, soon we just couldn’t handle anymore death and etc. I think the whole war was useless. It should have been handled differently.

Flag Post

It should have been handled differently.

The war would have been over in less than a year if the US would have actually invaded the north and destroyed their ability to make war. North Vietnam was no match for us, even in the fighting that did occur we inflicted many many times the casualties we sufferred. We weren’t fighting a war, we were standing around waiting to get shot at, same as now. The only difference is the enemy now has no real base to attack whereas the we refused to attack the North Vietnamese base, IE North Vietnam itself. You win a war by utterly destroying any ability of your enemy to make war.

Flag Post

Some would put it down to guerilla warfare the vietnamese used, others would say that it was lost before the Americans went in.
Some would say both.

Flag Post

America didn’t lose the Vietnam War because there is no such thing. There was no official declaration of war. It was the Tonkin Gulf Resolution that allowed the US to use any force necessary to protect itself after North Vietnam supposedly attacked a warship docked in the Tonkin Gulf. There was no declaration of war and it is more commonly referred to as the Vietnam Conflict. Either way, we didn’t lose. We simply were bored and decided to go back home and work harder on inventing PCs. Anyone complaining?

Flag Post

The U.S wasn’t in the war we were helping the south vietamese to fight the south vietamese.
Noone wins in a war.
The Russians helped

Flag Post

The Vietnam war was “lost” because it is impossible to forcefully rule over a well armed, well motivated enemy with a great deal of popular support. The only military action possible under those conditions is destruction. Conventional armies can be obliterated, cities can be destroyed, and infrastructure can be disabled. However, all the guns and bombs in the world are impotent to make people like or appreciate an aggressor, especially when those weapons had been used to murder friends and family.

Flag Post

The vietnamese had extensive underground tunnels everywhere. Ownage.

Flag Post

They were much more willing to die, and they knew this would eventually end the war. the underground tunnels really scewed us up too, mentally as well as physical.

Flag Post

One reason to us “Loseing” is that we sent in troops on a 5 month tour.

• pros – raised the overall moral of the troops knowing after 5 months they could go home.
  • cons – They would get experienced at fighting in the war that they would know things like: where traps are and where to hide in case of attack, but this experence was wasted when they had to leave there tour.

Flag Post

Occupations never work.

In my case, i dont care what country invaded my town, if they did, i would resist.

Flag Post

The main reasons that the United States was forced to pull out of the Vietnam War/Conflict were political not military. The North Vietnamese played a very good game of politics getting other countries to believe that the U.S. was bullying around the little guy. The other reason was the growing dissent within the U.S. over the conflict.

Now militarily we were losing because the U.S. was used to fighting on open fields like in the World Wars. We had not yet developed the tactics and strategies for fighting in jungle and guerrilla environments, something that we are still developing. Now a little known fact was that when the U.S. finally did pull all of its troops from Vietnam the NVA (North Vietnamese Army) and the VC (Viet Cong) were on the verge of destruction. This was due to the Tet Offensive in which the NVA and VC moved from guerrilla fighting to open warfare where the U.S. was strongest. This decimated the NVA and VC troop numbers but unfortunately Nixon and the generals were unaware of this fact and this combined with the mounting political pressure, the U.S. was forced to withdraw from Vietnam.

Flag Post

i think the reason why the US lost the war is that we were on THERE turf because if you know the place you have the advantage vietnam were used to it and america wasn’t used to jungles training only started to turn around in the 80s like the new call of duty says " i see things ….. that training can’t set you up for "

Flag Post

even if the US had the planes they have a bigger advantage if they could launch planes from secret in the jungle with camo that would shoot down them like nuts also america sometimes bombed on there own troops put it this when vietnam were had less eq and less of everything the have the training of the jungle

Flag Post

much better

Flag Post

also the stealth of a fkin tiger which is the weakness of physical training

Flag Post

They were fighting France’s war…it was pathetic, there was literally no reason for America to be involved and the tactics used, such as laying down swathes of napalm and encouraging execution of captured Vietcong, were vastly unpopular.