Should women and men bunk and shower together in the U.S. Military?

119 posts

Flag Post

Yes or no. Why or why not?

Flag Post
Originally posted by jitters:

Well, we’ve already established that seperate but equal is not OK, and given the arguments against banning homosexuals, I really don’t see how it’s justified to seperate them, legally.

Flag Post

Alot of men are uncomfortable bunking or showering in the presence of women
Also alot of women are uncomfortable bunking or showering in the presence of men

Flag Post
Originally posted by dd790:

Alot of men are uncomfortable bunking or showering in the presence of women
Also alot of women are uncomfortable bunking or showering in the presence of men

Same as if homosexuals opening served. I say yes, they should, simply because of this.

Flag Post

Why would they? They don’t shower together during any activity except perhaps as a couple. Forcing them to shower together all of the sudden doesn’t seem like a reasonable choice.

Well, we’ve already established that seperate but equal is not OK, and given the arguments against banning homosexuals, I really don’t see how it’s justified to seperate them, legally.

I can’t see any relation in your argument. Care to explain?

Same as if homosexuals opening served. I say yes, they should, simply because of this.

Prove it?

Flag Post

No, it makes it more likely that sexual harassment shall occur.
Edit: If nobody responds to your post in SD, does this mean it is a stupid post or you agree?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

Why would they? They don’t shower together during any activity except perhaps as a couple. Forcing them to shower together all of the sudden doesn’t seem like a reasonable choice.

I can’t see any relation in your argument. Care to explain?

Prove it?

Homosexual men bunking with other men would be no different than straight women bunking with men.. isn’t it kinda self-explanatory?

Flag Post

Homosexual men bunking with other men would be no different than straight women bunking with men.. isn’t it kinda self-explanatory?

It would be, and not only because of the inherent difference between homosexual men and heterosexual women.

The current society standards are that women and men that aren’t a couple shouldn’t be forced to shower together, because they do not want to show their intimate body parts to a person who isn’t their partner. We can’t ignore this. There will be the problem with homosexuals, of course, because this adds a deeper issue. The safest bet is placing homosexual men with heterosexual men, to not have to be forced to check whether or not a man is actually homosexual when he enters the ladies bathroom. This will be done by men/women themselves, because generally you can see who is a man/woman. By allowing homosexual men to shower with women, there will be more complications than if you put them with the men.

If you can find a study showing it would be better to let everyone shower together, though, it might support your argument. For now, there’s no reason to do it differently here than it is everywhere else.

Flag Post

Well, we’ve already established that seperate but equal is not OK

When did we establish that? I don’t remember ever doing that.

Flag Post
Originally posted by zhaymin2:

Black/White segregation back in the day..

Flag Post
Originally posted by Iceman000:

Black/White segregation back in the day..

Doesn’t look very equal to me…

Flag Post

I meant legally… obviously that case was decided when race, not gender, was the issue. But I don’t see what the legal distinction would be to make one form of segregation outlawed and not the other.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ceasar:

I meant legally… obviously that case was decided when race, not gender, was the issue. But I don’t see what the legal distinction would be to make one form of segregation outlawed and not the other.

So you’re all for a person with a new deadly disease to be walking on your street, coughing and sneezing?

Flag Post
The current society standards are that

Ah, so it should go by whatever the current society’s standards are?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ceasar:

So you’re all for a person with a new deadly disease to be walking on your street, coughing and sneezing?

OK, obviously I meant race vs gender.

Flag Post

I’m not sure why not. Society is what we live in.

Flag Post

So, why does this only apply to the military then? If separate but equal is unacceptable in any situation, then we shouldn’t have separate bathrooms (or showers for that matter) in ANY situation or institution.

As a matter of fact, I’m pretty sure it is illegal for private establishments (like pizza hut or whatever) to have separate but “equal” facilities for races. So, do you support making separate bathrooms for men and women illegal too?

Flag Post

I’m not sure why not. Society is what we live in.

But then it implies that the old seperate but equal (race-based) shouldn’t have been overturned by the courts, if that’s what the society wanted in those areas.

Flag Post

Now that I think about it; individual homes provide different families with separate but ‘equal’ homes. We should obviously all live in communal housing, and eat at a great dinner hall. =D

Flag Post
Originally posted by Captain_Catface:

Now that I think about it; individual homes provide different families with separate but ‘equal’ homes. We should obviously all live in communal housing, and eat at a great dinner hall. =D

Nah, that’s not government-provided, and not practical anyway since each person would at least require their own underwear. I hope.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Captain_Catface:

Only if I get to be a Viking. Thats right… I want the hat…

Flag Post

I’m a bit stunned by the direction this discussion is going. Are you truly serious? Or is this merely playing devil’s advocate?

Let me state it differently. I wouldn’t mind if we are going to split up all showers and bathrooms into three types from now on. One for men, one for women, one for mixed. Anyone wanting to go for a wild party, go ahead and enter the mixed one. Your responsibility. Anyone still wanting the old system, fine by me, go ahead and enter the men or women’s rooms. Do not force people into the same facilities when they don’t want to. That’s a perverse type of “equality” you’re making up. With this, you are removing a certain freedom. A freedom I appreciate. Don’t get me wrong, if you can find me a study where the majority of people would rather prefer to shower and go to the bathroom in a mixed facility, you surely can back your argument up, but my logic tells me that people generally prefer the current system.

But then it implies that the old seperate but equal (race-based) shouldn’t have been overturned by the courts, if that’s what the society wanted in those areas.

Slight problem here. Discriminating against a race isn’t what “society” wants. It’s what another race wants. When talking about men and women, I do not think the majority wants a single facility.

Flag Post

Oh, I agree with you, Dark. I was just wondering, and still wondering, if those who are pro unisex in the military would want that in civilian life too, like Pizza Hut for example.

Truthfully, I don’t see why the military is being singled out for this topic. I think that it makes sense to still have the separate facilities in the civilian world, mostly because I’m pretty sure there is a consensus that this is what people would prefer. Why wouldn’t this be true in the military too?

In truth, if we decide that the military must merge the bathrooms because its sexist, wouldn’t we have to do it with the rest of society too?

Flag Post

Slight problem here. Discriminating against a race isn’t what “society” wants. It’s what another race wants. When talking about men and women, I do not think the majority wants a single facility.

So the segregation should only be able to take effect if both sides want it? Well, that might work, I’ll have to think about it some more.

(And if you were wondering – I’m not in favor of colored fountains and/or only one bathroom. I was more interested in what the actual legalities are.)

Flag Post

In truth, if we decide that the military must merge the bathrooms because its sexist, wouldn’t we have to do it with the rest of society too?

Well, it would be odd to do it one way in the military and another way in the rest of society.

So the segregation should only be able to take effect if both sides want it?

Basically. Racial discrimination doesn’t seem like something the discriminated party ever wants. Segregation of men and women (in bathrooms and showers) doesn’t seem like something either party disagrees with.