Is Believing in God or Not Believing in God the neutral state?

5 posts

Flag Post

“To be or not to be”; “To believe or not to believe”. These two statements have absolutely no relation to each other, I just included it for the sake of being theatrical. Anyway, this thread (is that what you call it?) was created to argue which is the neutral state or the intended state of the existence of God in the human mind. The answer is probably neither, both, etc. or pointless altogether. Regardless, I would like to hear your opinions, and if you do not understand my question, I’m afraid I can’t offer an efficient explanation. To those who do understand, you know what to do.

Flag Post

To prevent this from becoming a religion war, it’s probably best that the posters keep personal views out of this.

Noone cares about your religion in this thread, take it to the religion thread.

To answer you, it’s probably neither. We are always doubting ourselves, hence the debates =P

Flag Post

If you’re asking what people are born with, neither Christianity nor Atheism disagrees: We are born without the spirit of God in us. People are not born Christians.

Flag Post

I definitely say that we’re born atheist; someone has to give us the idea of God (especially if we’re being as specific as any particular God). I also think we’re born with a desire for God, for answers, for the comfort of having some sort of father/parent figure to care for us, punish us, reward us, and give us purpose to our lives. God fits this role for us and thus a lot of people are very happy believing in God. Unfortunately, being a good security blanket is hardly justification for it being truth.

Flag Post

I think all people have an ingrown desire to be taken care of by floating faces in the sky. Why else would the realm of God, no matter what form that God takes, almost universally be up in the sky?