Kill everything.

67 posts

Flag Post

Alright, I want to know. Why are humans so god damn violent? We fight for pride, glory, resources, religion, the list goes on and on. Why?

Flag Post

Because humans are selfish, greedy, violent, unstable, competitive creatures in which this planet would be way better off without.

Flag Post

Because we’re pack-oriented omnivorous primates? Every other animal that forms packs goes to war over food, land, and mates. So do we. Every other omnivorous primate does too. Chimpanzees, the most closely related primate, are especially bad about it.

Originally posted by krazykanadian:

Because humans are selfish, greedy, violent, unstable, competitive creatures in which this planet would be way better off without.

Hurr de durr, look at me and my misanthropy. If you really believed that, just go ahead and kill yourself. One less human around to destroy the planet and make everything worse for the whole universe, right? Still alive? Then maybe you actually do think human life has intrinsic value after all! Pesky survival instinct, why must you be so sensible.

If humans weren’t around that would just mean another species would fill the niche in time.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

We even have extinctied animals, made stupid inventions along the way, heck should I know what the stupid inventions are. This isn’t going to stop. We have killed the entire population of 884+ animals in the last 500 years and it hasn’t stopped.

Flag Post

Considering ~135,792 (at the time of writing this) species have gone extinct THIS YEAR, i would say 884+ isnt to bad for our effect.

Also

Its not even only primates or only omnivores have wars (first example of the top of my head is ants, some types of ants are not omnivores and all types of ants are a war mongering species)

And stupid inventions? What does that have to do with anything, unless your meaning weapons we have invented (akin the atomic bomb and such) but I’m not sure thats what you meant. Atomic Weapons haven’t even been all bad they effectively ended large scale war.

Flag Post

Animals species will always become extinct with or without the help of man. Man is not the bad guy you are making us out to be. We only hunt for meat to fill our larders. Even the trophy hunters will dress the animals and take them to organizations that distribute the meat to the needy.

When circumstances arise that prevent a species to be pushed out, another usually takes it’s place. We are always discovering new species we have never seen before. It is just natures way. Man, as many other animals, eat what they need to survive. We can’t just say we should not eat and become extinct ourselves. It wouldn’t help anything.

Flag Post

It isn’t just hunting that leads to extinction. There’s also the whole ‘pollution’ thing… And the ‘turning forests into parking lots’ thing… I’d say hunting as a factor has probably decreased significantly in the past 200-300 years.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Captain_Catface:

It isn’t just hunting that leads to extinction. There’s also the whole ‘pollution’ thing… And the ‘turning forests into parking lots’ thing… I’d say hunting as a factor has probably decreased significantly in the past 200-300 years.

I can’t disagree. A town in the mountains here has expanded so much that they are encroaching on the bear habitat. Now they are having problems with the bear coming into town and raiding trash bins and coming into peoples yards.

Flag Post
Originally posted by KingXimana:

Considering ~135,792 (at the time of writing this) species have gone extinct THIS YEAR, i would say 884+ isnt to bad for our effect.

Also

Its not even only primates or only omnivores have wars (first example of the top of my head is ants, some types of ants are not omnivores and all types of ants are a war mongering species)

And stupid inventions? What does that have to do with anything, unless your meaning weapons we have invented (akin the atomic bomb and such) but I’m not sure thats what you meant. Atomic Weapons haven’t even been all bad they effectively ended large scale war.

Where did you get that statistic? 135,792 seems very high.

Flag Post

Humans are fantastic creatures. We even fight wars in the name of peace. It’s not a surprise that some people are misanthropic and have a negative, Hobbesian view of the nature of humanity. It’s a viewpoint that has been around for centuries, and there’s plenty of evidence that humans are terrible things. But there are two sides to every coin. We aren’t inherently destructive, we’re inherently human, and we choose our own paths, making our own decisions. We’re functional but flawed. We have our problems, but we work to solve them. We have a lot of damage to fix, but at least we are attempting to fix it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by onlineidiot1994:

Alright, I want to know. Why are humans so god damn violent? We fight for pride, glory, resources, religion, the list goes on and on. Why?

Because we want things, and testosterone says “ME WANTY FRED HAS DIE FRED.”

For some reason, modern war is less based on taking over things, but instead on being a beacon of democracy. I think we got too caught up in the Cold War, and then we were like “Okay, so no commie ideals to fight against. What do we do now?”

Flag Post

If humans weren’t around that would just mean another species would fill the niche in time.

Please explain this.

Flag Post
Originally posted by EndCharged:

Please explain this.

Eventually, it will be almost indefinitely to a species’s advantage to be smarter. They will eventually become as smart as us.

Flag Post

Please explain this.

He means is humans werent around to dominate the planet anoyher species would elvolve to take our place.

Flag Post

Simply put, we’re not at smart as we claim to be.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Criks:

Simply put, we’re not at smart as we claim to be.

Lucky for us, we’re smart enough to make claims. See anyone else claiming stuff?

Flag Post
Originally posted by onlineidiot1994:

Drive for power+survival instinct?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Flypurplehamster:

Please explain this.

Eventually, it will be almost indefinitely to a species’s advantage to be smarter. They will eventually become as smart as us.

That’s not true. Species evolve only what’s necessary for their survival. It is an exceptional…coincidence….that humanity required and evolved intelligence that high. That is why mankind is a phenomena and it is highly possible that such coincidence will never occur again in the history of Earth.

Flag Post

Why? We have, what, five billion years? That’s a long time to go. Eventually, there will be a niche. It’s not like aliens showed up and made us smart. Nothing really exceptional happened.

Flag Post

Maybe it wasn’t aliens but something exeptional did happen. Noone exactly knows why humans went smart. Or to be precise went this particular kind of smart that allows you to start a civilisation. No other animal did that kind of thing and some of them are fairly good at using their brains ;)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Mandracos:

Maybe it wasn’t aliens but something exeptional did happen. Noone exactly knows why humans went smart. Or to be precise went this particular kind of smart that allows you to start a civilisation. No other animal did that kind of thing and some of them are fairly good at using their brains ;)

You want to know why the humans went smart and build a civilization? All right, here is why:
If we werent, as we claim to be, smart, and havent started building cicvilizations, we would all have died. Just that simple. If you compare a human to most predators around( wolfs, tigers, lions etc. ) you will see that, a single human without weapons, would have absolutely no chance against then. Now, a hole fleet of humans with rifles( or whatever ) is another history.

In another words, we are only the dominant specie, due to superior equipment and numeric advantage. Sad, isnt it?

Flag Post

Sad? Superior equipment and numerical advantage, combined with superior intelligence is something.

And I don’t agree that Earth is “only” 4.7 billions years old. You see, the entire universe is “only” 13 billion years old. In relation to that, Earth is quite…old, don’t ya think?
Then mind that, in the best case scenario, it has only 5 billion years left…and you can see that there is an extremely high chance that nothing like humanity will ever evolve here again.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NathanRomml:

That’s not true. Species evolve only what’s necessary for their survival.

Sorry Nathan, but that is just crap.

Species evolve with every generation. Mutations occur at a genetic level between parents and their kids.

Sometimes these mutations are beneficial; oft-times they are not. Nature basically experiments almost at random, changing little bits of the code in each individual to see what works and what doesn’t. Successful mutations go on to breed. Unsuccessful ones don’t breed as much, or not at all.

It is entirely possible that evolution can produce traits completely unnecessary for survival, yet if the individuals concerned manage to propagate their genes, these traits will endure.

It is an exceptional…coincidence….that humanity required and evolved intelligence that high. That is why mankind is a phenomena and it is highly possible that such coincidence will never occur again in the history of Earth.

Nah, the intelligence we evolved is the same type of intelligence that other social animals evolved. What changed us was more the opposable thumb, for increased tool usage. That’s one root of our civilisation. Our social herding is the other, and a brain able to cope with communities as high as 150 individuals.

Even as it is, our intellectual capacity is woefully inadequate to cope with a civilisation as highly developed as the one we have now. Human cognition has a lot of catching up to do.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:
Originally posted by NathanRomml:

That’s not true. Species evolve only what’s necessary for their survival.

Sorry Nathan, but that is just crap.

Species evolve with every generation. Mutations occur at a genetic level between parents and their kids.

Sometimes these mutations are beneficial; oft-times they are not. Nature basically experiments almost at random, changing little bits of the code in each individual to see what works and what doesn’t. Successful mutations go on to breed. Unsuccessful ones don’t breed as much, or not at all.

It is entirely possible that evolution can produce traits completely unnecessary for survival, yet if the individuals concerned manage to propagate their genes, these traits will endure.

It is an exceptional…coincidence….that humanity required and evolved intelligence that high. That is why mankind is a phenomena and it is highly possible that such coincidence will never occur again in the history of Earth.

Nah, the intelligence we evolved is the same type of intelligence that other social animals evolved. What changed us was more the opposable thumb, for increased tool usage. That’s one root of our civilisation. Our social herding is the other, and a brain able to cope with communities as high as 150 individuals.

Even as it is, our intellectual capacity is woefully inadequate to cope with a civilisation as highly developed as the one we have now. Human cognition has a lot of catching up to do.

Give me one example of an evolved trait which did not occurred because at some point it was necessary. Evolution is driven by the need to match outside conditions, it is not something random. True, as the conditions change, some traits which were once necessary stay and become unnecessary. But, in that case, they either disappear(like a human tail) or change their purpose(evolutionary opportunism).

And, about the second quotation….well, I believe you misunderstood me. What I meant, that it is an exceptional…concurrence of circumstances that humans evolved intelligence that high and I doubt such..phenomena will happen again, at least on this planet.