phone companies

18 posts

Flag Post

there are many many different phone companies. but why cant we all just have one?? i think we should all go with one that way people dont end up with huge phone bills. and besides who was the first phone company?? who ever was first got copied like a million times why do they get away with it?? and if we were going to switch to just one cell phone company who would it be? i think it should be verizon it rocks

Flag Post

OK, if you’re not going to talk intelligently, why is this in “Serious Discussion”?

Different phone companies have different features, and have different areas that you can talk in.

Flag Post

Allright, you really need to do some research. Here in the United States, we used to have only one phone company; it was called Ma Bell.

It was broken up into the Baby Bells because, well, Ma Bell was The Phone Company. You couldn’t compete against it, and it would screw you for every penny it could get.

Now, much like the T1000 in Terminator 2, Ma Bell is reassembling itself through mergers and acquisitions. This is probably a bad thing, as the people from the libertarian thread will tell you.

Flag Post

CELL PHONE COMPANIES

That’s what he said.

Flag Post

Einar didn’t explain this because its pretty common knowledge, but since you asked this you might not know. If there is just one phone company, they get to decide what price you have to pay, unlike now where if they set the price too high, all the other companies will stay the same to drive that company out of business.

Flag Post

Well if there was only one cell phone or phone company in general, it would collapse part of the economy BECAUSE that one company could charge whatever they wished for whatever amount of time they wished and be able to get away with it. That is why the American government pasted Anti-trust acts and now give financial support to smaller businesses so larger companies CAN’T control that much of the market. The only example I can think of is from the fictional series Pendragon… Number 5 I think. It depicts a world where only one business controls everything.

Edit: Darn you Rakuth and your ninja’ing

Flag Post

The answer is that monopoly is a bad thing. Look at Apple iTunes or Wal-Mart. For instance, iTunes sells you encrypted mp3’s, and doesn’t really tell the people buying them that that is true. So, once someone buys a lot of iTunes songs, they find it’s cheaper to just buy an iPod, which is the only thing they can now run it on, regardless of whether that product is the best or not. Monopolies are technically legal (not government monopolies in most cases, though.) I just don’t think they are ethically right, especially when the consumer is unaware of better deals.

Flag Post

thank you for this information. your right i really didnt know the history and thats why i made this thread to find out. and killer of the gods i know what you mean i read that book there ended up being one big company and then they took control have you read the other pendragons?

Flag Post

Choice is best in all things. The person receiving said good or service must be able to choose who they get it from.

And monopolies can only exist with the governments help. A monopoly is an impossibility in a free-market.

Flag Post

Actually Apple iTunes is not considered a monopoly… because they do not control 95% of that specific market. They can however release mp3’s with that DRM code on it, much to the displeasure of many but they can do it. Another case of a monopoly would be Yahoo become a partner of Google. But as for phone companies in the states i dont really agree with some of their choices, they arent really aiming for customer satisfaction in my opinion. Example 1: you get a phone with only 3 ringtones on it while the rest are just bleeps and dings, they give you those three songs and only those three songs in the hope of getting you to buy their ringtones which is hard not to do if you want to distinguish multiple contacts ringtones, so you know who is calling. Example 2: i dont agree with the fact that YOU have to pay when a friends texts you or calls you (yes many are going to services where you can talk with those with the same service as you but that doesnt make this better) you should only get charged for the calls YOU make or the texts YOU send. Example 3: Contracts i dont believe it right to have contracts for two years, that if you break it you owe money. The contracts are used to get you to buy this now cheap phone, but by signing that contract you are giving them your soul for two years (alright i exaggerated on that but you get the point.

I can give these examples because i have something to relate it too. I lived in japan for a good portion of my life and used the Cell phone service there. I was very pleased with the Phone companies in japan.

Flag Post

Actually Apple iTunes is not considered a monopoly… because they do not control 95% of that specific market. They can however release mp3’s with that DRM code on it, much to the displeasure of many but they can do it. Another case of a monopoly would be Yahoo become a partner of Google. But as for phone companies in the states i dont really agree with some of their choices, they arent really aiming for customer satisfaction in my opinion. Example 1: you get a phone with only 3 ringtones on it while the rest are just bleeps and dings, they give you those three songs and only those three songs in the hope of getting you to buy their ringtones which is hard not to do if you want to distinguish multiple contacts ringtones, so you know who is calling. Example 2: i dont agree with the fact that YOU have to pay when a friends texts you or calls you (yes many are going to services where you can talk with those with the same service as you but that doesnt make this better) you should only get charged for the calls YOU make or the texts YOU send. Example 3: Contracts i dont believe it right to have contracts for two years, that if you break it you owe money. The contracts are used to get you to buy this now cheap phone, but by signing that contract you are giving them your soul for two years (alright i exaggerated on that but you get the point.

I can give these examples because i have something to relate it too. I lived in japan for a good portion of my life and used the Cell phone service there. I was very pleased with the Phone companies in japan.

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it.

And US cellular does not charge you for incoming calls or texts, I know this because they are my phone service provider.

There are phones services like Net 10 and Tracphone that do not require a contract.

My phone has a lot of different ring tones that are very distinguishable from each other and I have never paid for one. They might not be actual songs but I don’t care about that.

Contracts i dont believe it right to have contracts for two years, that if you break it you owe money. The contracts are used to get you to buy this now cheap phone, but by signing that contract you are giving them your soul for two years (alright i exaggerated on that but you get the point.

If you don’t like the deal, don’t sign it.

It is fully within Apples rights to provide the songs the way they do. If you don’t like it, then don’t buy it. Now, on them not telling people that it works that way is not OK as full disclosure should be required. But chances are it was disclosed but most people were too busy to read the agreement. This is done to counter piracy. Otherwise you could buy it and then burn it to CD and play it in any CD player.

Flag Post

Actually, the encryption of music files is done at the behest of the music companies. Apple would really, really prefer to give you unencrypted files, as that would solve a ton of usability issues and frankly they don’t care about piracy, but the music companies won’t let them.

As proof of this, consider the fact that EMI is allowing Apple to sell unencrypted files; sure they’re more expensive, but they’re also higher quality.

Basically, you should not blame Apple for the encryption in iTunes: it was a necessary evil to get the music companies to sign on to the service in the first place.

Flag Post

Basically, you should not blame Apple for the encryption in iTunes: it was a necessary evil to get the music companies to sign on to the service in the first place.

What about other music services (such as Rhapsody, etc.) that charge the same amount, are legal, and have about the same selection, and the whole time they are all mp3’s? I am not really mad at Apple for any sort of problems it’s given me, but it’s kind of taking advantage of people who just want to buy songs and then get a standard mp3 player to see it doesn’t work. Most of the songs I get, anyway, are off of previously owned CD’s.

Flag Post

It seems you guys solved the phone company thing, except that government monopolies like the post office or utilities are hardly verboten…

Now onto music services, I just want to say F* the MPAA and RIAA! demonoid is back alive and even open to registration if you want to join (torrent site). Free is the new business model for music and there is no stopping it.

Apple isn’t (technically) a monopoly on online MP3 sales? haha. Various companies are going to fight for market share on music but they are all losing money. People will do anything they can to avoid unfair restrictions on what they pay for. Is it really true that if you download something from iTunes, you can only play it on an iPod? I never did it or would I so I don’t know…

Flag Post

yea well verizon still kicks but even though the y didnt tell me when i went over my limit and got a 400$ phone bill. i still think we should all change to verizon what the hell why not give it a try?

Flag Post

LOL, I worked for an outsourced Verizon call center when I was in college. Half of the calls were from people who didn’t pay attention to how many minutes/texts they used that month and got huge bills. You can check how many you used for free (I forget how), so it is totally your own fault. I could tell you how to lower your bill but I won’t because I am a jerk. Having just one phone company would suck. I like Sprint and their customer service is actually good compared to the others I have tried.

Flag Post

yea well i got people dammit what now??

Flag Post

and as for my comment i was talking about Major companies… Verizon, T&T, Alltel etc.