The art of spamming (serious question)

33 posts

Flag Post

I’ve been to a lot of forums and seen my fair share of spammers. I always sort of wondered why people act like that and really how does it usually start.

When I first entered onto the internet, I admit, I was a big spammer. Now, I’ve sort of backed away from it and would rather observe it. Basically, my question is: Why do people tend to spam and flame other people and what do these people try to accomplish?

My overall opinion is that they do it for a number of reasons but the main being, maturity (or lack of). Immaturity, especially in a younger age, must provoke more spamming. Do they really think it will accomplish anything? If so, what? I just want to hear other peoples thoughts.

(This topic may be inspired by recent events)

Flag Post

yea i was paying attention to what just happened. maybe he just wanted attention or maybe her really had some issues? what happened to smabby??

Flag Post

I think it’s the first taste of anonymity. Frankly, it’s so liberating to have no consequences, but also shows the true attitude of someone. I don’t remember if I’ve ever really spammed, so much as being ignorant towards different people. But, the internet has been a really good reality check over the past 5 years or so.

Flag Post

If a person really had issues, regardless of age, wouldn’t they try to resolve it at a somewhat personal level. I understand what he is trying to accomplish by making Smabby look like an ass but his current strategy is kind of backfiring.

Flag Post

He kind of just randomly started making these things about me after I said to delete several of his other topics which were innapropriate for sd.

Flag Post

i was watching the little fight between buckle1111 to smabby and i didnt see you telling him to delete his topics i just saw him say bad word then u said bad word and went on and on

Flag Post

Okay i wanna know who banned smaby

Flag Post

he didn’t do anything

Flag Post

did smabby get banned?? if so thats not cool he was just defending himself

Flag Post

It is anonymity that “encouraged” people to behave this way. Become as naughty as you can be while being decent (or good) in the real life. Such instances would be lessen if people wouldn’t be able to hide themselves from their real identity.

This is almost similar to people who wear masks when committing crimes, though spammers are far from being classified as criminals (this is just a vagued analogy)

Flag Post

Well, no they aren’t criminals but you are right. Most flamers are probably wimps in real life. I know I try my hardest never to get into a fight. I try to avoid them at all costs. It’s simply easier to be a total jackass and get away with it on the internet. This is definitely part of the problem.

Flag Post

I don’t know why people do it but all I know is that spamming = failing at life.

Flag Post

ok thats a little over dramatic screwing around on the computer for a reaction is not failing life

Flag Post

ok thats a little over dramatic screwing around on the computer for a reaction is not failing life

Not really. Somebody is actually taking a few minutes out of their day to spam a casual game site. Seems like someone who fails at life to me. Or lack thereof. The forum right now is a good example. Somebody actually took the (wasted) time to do that and probably feels accomplishment in causing a small amount of disorder. What a sad person to feel good about something so trivial and lame. When the reaction you always get is just disgust then you fail at life.

Flag Post

not if its 11 0 clock at night or some reason you couldnt leave the house though like grounded

Flag Post

@ RaidJTC indeed… ur last message is so true… I tend to avoid fights also (on internet, at school)

I have people in my class (i’m not giving them attributes :)) it would be censored) that think they’re so cool and act so cool when the other cool people are around and paying attention AND THAT’S IT!

I mean, i came home from school with one of the worst guys in my class (he skipped to much classes and had to bad marks, he failed to pass the school year) and i was talking to him about nice things! and he was answering good and not “acting cool” at all!

Also, i was on vacation with 2 of them (nice vacation, but they were annoying sometimes) and when we went to bed, we didn’t sleep immediately… and kept talking about pretty much everything and anything. One of them snoozed, though i kept talking to the other one and having fun

I hate people with 2 faces, 2 personalities, and only 1 true …

Flag Post

not if its 11 0 clock at night or some reason you couldnt leave the house though like grounded

Grounded? A grounded kid spamming kong, what a cliche. A future Harvard attendee obviously.

Flag Post

I’m with everything Kris1027 has said.

Flag Post

This thread sucks

+1 post count

Flag Post

Personally, I think it is the feeling of being able to do something…..lets say “naughty” without any consequence. It makes people feel good or something. I gotta say, I think everyone has spammed at least once in their online life, I did, on an old forum when I was around 8 years old, I did it because i thought it was funny. So, there we have it.

Flag Post

Don’t spam please.

Flag Post

I thought you were banned for a week….

Flag Post

I don’t think I’ve ever spammed, but yeh I agree with most of what people said.

Flag Post

I thought you were banned for a week….

Does this look familar, butthead?

[post deleted]
BUTTFREAK has been banned for a week.

Flag Post

Yes, Buttfreak is so clever that he’s been pretending to be banned. I’m very impressed. Who ever would have thought of that? All bow down to the clever buttfreak. We clearly are not worthy of his presence.