Kongregate debate team! (Historical Document) (locked)

904 posts

Flag Post

I am very bored with the forums, I want to debate. I will give a topic and then all of us will debate. When I think the topic is done I will start a new topic. First topic: Religion

I would also like to say that I am not trying to fight just trying to debate, for I am a lifelong debater.

[Henry, I hope you don’t mind, I (Phoenix00017) added the below table of contents to the first post so people could reference it. Please whisper/shout me if you’d like me to remove this part of the post]

Notable Debate Topics (incomplete list):

Death Penalty

Banning Cigarettes

War on Drugs

Evolution/Existence of God

Gay Marriage

War in Iraq

Abortion

Violence in Video Games

Gay Marriage – Reprise

Existence of God/Validity of the Bible

Security vs. Liberty (I know we did this one, but I can only find about 3 posts on it…anyone find it?)

Immigration

Right to Bear Arms vs. Gun Control

Video Games: Art Form?

Affirmative Action

Evolution – Reprise

Flag Post

I’ll debate your choice of topic. Depending on the proportion of different people on this site, you’ll either get people flaming religions of all kinds, or no debate at all. I’d suggest something more political, such as contraversial new (or proposed) laws. I just think you are going to get a fight if you want people to debate religion, for some evidence look at what happened in the thread about the paedopriest game. It looked like people were ok with it just because it attacked Catholicism, when otherwise they’d be against it.

Flag Post

Okay, thank you for your opinion, I will change the debate to Belief in god, and not religion. I see where somebody could say some ant-semetic (sp?) comment. No flaming towards atheists or theists.

Flag Post

Belief in God is still a very religious topic.

Flag Post

Fine, Debate, childrens bedtimes.

Flag Post

Something political maybe? Any contraversial new or proposed laws over there in the USA? Over here smoking has been banned for about a month in enclosed public spaces (i.e. areas where the public have a right to be that is enclosed be at least 3 walls) but pubs are being forced to adhere to this too. Technically they’re not public places as it’s comparable to a shop, and the public doesn’t have a right to be in a shop. Though you’ve got plenty of no smoking laws in the USA, there were some signs saying don’t smoke within a certain distance of an entry, is that fair?

Just a few ideas

Flag Post

Okay, after the final adjustment we are debating smoking.

(CONTROVERSIAL)

Flag Post

I personally hate smoking I am allergic to most of the “ingredients” and it has caused multiple deaths in my family.

Flag Post

What about smoking? Sorry about all this nitpicking, but there are so many things to say about smoking, from rants about how bad for the health it is to indignant protests about smokers’ freedom. Pick a law to discuss, or maybe just ‘do people have a right to smoke around people who choose not to smoke passively?’.

Flag Post

Smoking in general, now please for the love of my sanity, quit “nitpicking”.

Flag Post

I hate smoking, i see no point to it.. how does it benefit the smoker, cancer? Someone give me one good reason to smoke. (we’re talking about ciggarette smoking only right?)

Flag Post

Smoking(normal smoking that is ;)) doesnt seem to have any good effects yet has hundreds of bad. I think I made my point.

Flag Post

However small a point the impact was large. I think everyone on the site hates smoking, so new topic: Death penalty.

I see no problem with it as long as it is humane and painless. I also think we need to find a new ay to kill people because most (in america that is) are in-efficient.

Flag Post

Holy crap. If you want to do a debate thread, great. But this is absolutely terrible. I’d love to get involved, but try actually forming a statement to debate about and then let people present ideas before switching things up. Also, I’d like to recommend you set some ground rules. Specifically, a debate like this should be a safe place for people, but not ideas. In other words, feel free to attack someone’s arguments, but do not make any personal attacks on these pages (which is true in general of Kong).

I believe the current topic is: “Is the death penalty a good practice?” Of course, this involves both moral and practical applications, please feel free to comment on both.

Flag Post

Sorry for the instability, my first topic sucked, so did the second… and the third. Okay here, You can speak about death penalty being a good pracctice, morally, religiously, (sp?) practically… Ground rules 1. No fighting only arguing and debating 2. no racism or extreme profanity.

Okay 1) I hate smoking, of all substances, tobacco related products and Drugs. 2) as I said before I believe the death penalty is alright as long as there is no pain and suffering. I am sorry about quiting the first real topic I thought it sucked, and when things cool off, I will bring back the religious once things cool off. I say that because I had a reasonable conversation and debate with many in the chatroom “the Van”. I hope this works and, let the debating begin.

Flag Post

Actually, I did a “debate” (4 supporters, against 4 opposers) about death penalty in Israel last year. I was a supporter and I still am. In Israel death penalty is legal, but not common. Only 1 man was executed in Israel at all times – Adolf Eichmann (however you write that). My speech was about some advantages of death penalty. One of them was that death penalty will frighten criminals and therefore they will murder less people. I have 2 researches about that. One of them is Prof. Isaac Erlich’s research, who researched the numbers of murders in states with common death penalty. By his research Erlich claimed that every execution decreases the number of murders in a year by 7! Which means, every one murderer, every one MONSTER that is executed, 7 innocent people are saved. Another research is Prof. Shepherd’s research. He researched particularly about Texas, and when he did his research 336 where already executed, and 447 are waiting for their executions. There is one execution per month. And by his research, Shepherd found that the number of murders in Texas decreased.
Also, there is a reference of death penalty in the bible, in Genesis, 9th chapter. I can’t tell you the exact sentence because I only have bible in hebrew, but I will interpret it in english. The sentence says that we should spill the blood of every thing that spill’s human blood., because we should have honor to humans, who were created in the image of god.

Great topic, by the way!

Flag Post

What is the youngest age of criminal the death penalty should be used on, if it should be used at all? Should it be used on first time killers, or do you give them some rehab first depending on how violent or cold blooded the murder was?

I don’t think an age limit can be drawn that is true for everyone. What would make a 17.99726 year old less responsible than an 18 year old to the extent that the latter was executed, but the former was given rehab and possibly even given a new identity when released to avoid being lynched? Whilst this is not ideal even for lesser crimes, drawing such an arbitrary line with someone’s life, I feel, should not be done.

There’s also the matter of executing innocents. Proof beyond reasonable doubt is not proof at all, since that is impossible to obtain. But however high you set the bar, be it 95% sure, 99%, 99.99%, there are still going to be some innocents on death row. From DeadlyMan’s post, it looks like there would be a net saving of lives, but I do not think it is right to sacrifice innocents to save a few more innocents when there are alternatives available. Some adverts on tv saying how bad prison is, and what it’ll do to your future life if and when you get out might help.

Flag Post

Pretty funny post from a guy named “deadlyman”. ;)

Honestly, I think morally I’m for the death penalty, but I start to have problems with it from a practical standpoint because of the cost. (I believe, and will find sources if necessary) it costs significantly more to put someone to death than to keep them in jail for life (primarily from trial fees and such). Of course, if it’s a significant deterrent, this could be worth it, but at another level I kinda want to get rid of them as cheaply, quickly, and easily as possible.

The Bible verse you were quoting I believe is the “eye for an eye” part. Some Christians will argue that that is an Old Testament rule that was repealed by the New Testament. Personally, I kinda like it. Heck, let’s really go literal with it, and forget Henry’s “painless” death penalty. I think you should die in the exact manner that you kill people (for 1st degree murder still – I’m not trying to increase the number of penalties, just the severity). If you cut someone’s eyeballs out and use them as Klik Klacks, I think the same should be done to you (sorry Chris Rock for stealing your line…). Now that’d be a freakin’ deterrent, right? Or perhaps these sickos are messed up enough that it really wouldn’t matter…

Flag Post

Phoenix, I found the quote from the bible in the net, it says:
“Whoever sheds the blood of man,
by man shall his blood be shed;
for in the image of God
has God made man.”

and also kyriva, you said that on tv they show how bad prison is. I don’t know about US, but in Israel there are Computers, Internet and TV available for all prisoners at any time!

Flag Post

i say that if u kill someone you should be put to death the same way u killed em

Flag Post

and also kyriva, you said that on tv they show how bad prison is. I don’t know about US, but in Israel there are Computers, Internet and TV available for all prisoners at any time!

I suggested they should show how bad prison is. If it’s all cushy then make it worse. I don’t know about the USA either, but here in the UK they get a holiday every year which is someonthing not even every law abiding person can afford. I say stick them in a cell, they can come out to do manual labour if they want exercise

Flag Post

I think the death penalty is perfectly fine, but we need to find a more efficient way to kill them. It would be too hard to kill everyone the way they killed, possibly very expensive. I think for executions we should shoot a gun at the heart at point blank, The victim have a bag over his head. I also think we should bring back the guillotine (pronounced Gee-a-tine). Thank you deadly man!

The guillotine is very efficient and accurate and quick (If the blade is sharp , which it should be) But my methods are, quick painless, unless some stupid guy can’t shoot point blank in the right spot. I would like to hear all of your guys’ opinions on my opinions.

I think that morals get in to many peoples way, when something needs to be done, Get it done. Don’t whine about it not being right. If hitler came and you don’t believe in killing anyone-and you have a shotgun- he’s going to kill you and enslave people. Hypothetically speaking of course ( I hope, i don’t want any zombie hitlers runnin’ around my country).

Flag Post

Henry, you have played waaaaay too many video games. You honestly think shooting someone in the heart is painless? Even the head I guarantee there’s at least a split-second of pain, but the heart will take a little while for death to occur. Even if only 10 seconds, I guarantee having your heart blown out by sharp metal will not be “painless”. As far as I’m concerned, the closest attempt to a painless death is lethal injection (preferably done while sleeping). Also, thanks DeadlyMan for the clarification. The idea is similar to eye for an eye, but you were quoting Matthew while I was still in Genesis.

Flag Post

Unfortunately you are incorrect, I do not play video games too much maybe 4 hours in a week, and the whole point of firing squad is to kill quickly and painlessly, point blank makes death even more imminent. Once you are shot in the vital area of the heart your brain shuts down, and you stop brething and feeling, therefore being unconscious and painless. Lethal Injection causes, pain and sometimes the tube pops out of the arm leaving the victim in pain and having peple in hazmat suits to come in and clean it up. When Somebody is executed by gunshot or guillotine, it is very cheap and is one of the reasons it is efficient. Another reson is that it is quick and painless. (see my first point). I rest my case.

Flag Post

Some would argue that 4 hours a week is too much, but I am not one of them. However, I still argue that your case is unfounded. Having done some research, I discovered that there is apparently some debate regarding the painlessness of lethal injection. So, perhaps I can’t claim it’s 100% painless, though really we have a hard time doing that with any sort of death penalty.

I was unable to find record of people being shot in the heart. However, brain damage doesn’t occur from complete cardiac arrest for at least 5 minutes. While being shot might speed this up, I think 5 minutes of bleeding to death with your entire body being denied oxygen just might qualify as having some amount of pain.