Educational Institutes Worldwide: Are they really giving holistic education as many claim?

7 posts

Flag Post

Do many of you believe that?

How do you think, in your country, that despite the claims of numerous schools, do not think that you are being taught moral life lessons that should have been in the cirriculum?

Personally, my school stands by a lot of Christian beliefs and constantly enforces that, but at the same time the standard of teaching moral upright and just is simply lacking. All around I see bullies, unfair treatment, bad behaviour and not once does the teacher try to correct it.

Not once do they ever change. Anything that appeals to their moral sense of wisdom enters one ear and comes out of their behinds.

What do you guys think?

Flag Post

I beleive that people should be able to choose what they beleive. They don’t have to go to church, but they have to go to school.

Not once do they ever change. Anything that appeals to their moral sense of wisdom enters one ear and comes out of their behinds.

Actually, eventually they do, they eventually mature and learn that being an idiot won’t get them anywhere.

Flag Post

If someone hasn’t learned how to be a moral human being by the time they’re 18, college certainly isn’t going to teach them. That’s what elementary and high school were for. Furthermore, it is not the job, responsibility, or even logical for the professor, who is an adult, to be reprimanding other adults for “unchristian behavior.”

Secondary education is to build you and your career, not to build you as a good person. If you are looking for a service-based schooling, go to a school oriented around that. I went to DePaul University, in Chicago, where “service” and “learning” are tied together. I have never been around more like-minded, genuinely good people in my entire life. On the first service day, I was overwhelmed to see one of the biggest churches in Chicago packed to the brim with students ready to go out into the Chicagoland area and make good things happen. Working with the elderly, cleaning a park, working a food bank, and all kinds of awesome stuff. It was overwhelming to see so much energy and goodness in one place. Every single day at DePaul reinforced this concept, as absolutely everyone was oriented towards helping others and doing good. It’s probably one of my favorite times of my life, and I miss it a lot.

But none of those kids were “taught” to be good in college. It was a service based school, so everyone was going there because they wanted to be a service to the community. These are people who, no matter what their field, ideologies, or religion, were all dedicated to helping others. You can’t teach that, and you certainly can’t learn that at age 18. I mean, you could, but it certainly can’t be taught in a traditional sense.

Flag Post

Secondary education is to build you and your career, not to build you as a good person.

that is what kindergarden and pre-school is for.

Flag Post

You learned something in highschool?

Flag Post

yep, how to open a bottle with a lighter.

Flag Post

Morals really shouldn’t be taught in school anyway. That’s something for parents, priests, and friends. Schools should be focused on academics, with the exception of philosophy classes, which are almost never taught before college in the US.