is it ever okay to get an abortion?

135 posts

Flag Post

It is etimated that 1 in every 4 babys are killed in the due too abortion. if you think it is ever okay too get an abortion please tell us why and in what situation. if you do not approve of abortion please tell us why(sorry if there is a thread on this already i looked but i didnt find one).

Flag Post

I’m “pro life” in the sense that I personally consider abortion to be a foolish, wasteful act. On the other hand, I have wisdom and foresight where other pro lifers fail. Legalizing abortions while providing social support for pregnant mothers, and offering clear and obvious paths to healthy childbirth can dramatically lower the death rate in relation to abortions (this includes both the child and the mother.) Making abortion illegal, period, causes more deaths overall, as mothers who opt for illegal procedures will likely die as a cause of the procedure.

As far as when an abortion is okay, my personal values are that abortion is never alright unless in extreme cases of physical harm to the mother. I have a strong disagreement about the rights of fathers in abortion cases, but that’s a topic I’d rather save for a different conversation. Besides that, legally, I don’t think the government has a say over abortions.

Flag Post

I don’t believe that my “approval” should be necessary. As long as the mother wills it, it is fine with me.

Flag Post

if you get rapped and you dont wanna to have a child then yes

Flag Post

Two scary stats for the US:

50% of all pregnancies are unintended.

50% of all unintended pregnancies are aborted.

(So yes, jjuanksta’s 1/4 is correct)

Both of those stats are shocking to me.

Flag Post

Those stats look far too “neat” for my tastes.

But if so, c’est la vie. If the mother chooses to abort, I stand by her right to choose that. Gonna go look up a long post I made on the subject elsewhere, to save me having to run thought it all in my head again.
Can’t find it, ah well.

Quite often these debates tend to focus on issues around rape or incest. Frankly I view this as people avoiding discussing the real issues involved, and trying to argue in favour of something they view as essentially unarguable.
I don’t want to bother discussing those two issues at all, and instead will focus on the central issue.

The “it’s a living being” or “it’s a potential/real human life” arguments also do not phase me.

If accept take the pro-lifers’ premise for the sake of argument, we still do not have a case to ban abortion.

No one has the ethical or moral authority to make any person allow someone else to live off their bodies, whether via forced organ or blood donation or whatever. Pregnancy is no different in this regard. Attempting to ban abortion on the grounds that it is “murder” is missing the point entirely, the mother does not consent to play host to the foetus.

If we do not accept their premise for the sake of argument, then the issue dissolves entirely.

Pregnancy is a wonderful thing, when the mother freely chooses to be a Mother. The idea of forcing it upon someone sickens me a little because it turns it into an ugly thing. It turns it into a punishment for making “bad” choices, or for being unlucky.

I am in favour of abortion being safe, accessible and free.

Even if we ignore all of the ethical argument around the issue, on a purely pragmatic level, it is better for abortion to be legal and safe, than for it to be illegal and force women to induce it in other riskier ways.

Flag Post

Abortions should be free, safe, and rare.

Much better methods of not having babies exist.

Flag Post

“if you get rapped and you dont wanna to have a child then yes”

well then kill the rapist not the baby. the least the mother could do is put the baby up for adoption.

Flag Post

I know, seriously. Most of those “unintended pregnancies” shouldn’t have happened in the first place.

Flag Post

the least the mother could do is put the baby up for adoption.

No, the least she could do is have an abortion.

Have you any conception of what it means to go through a pregnancy?
It’s not simply a matter of you get fat and pop out a kid a few months later.

We’re talking intense physical, emotional, financial and social impacts upon the woman’s life. With risks up to and including death for both mother and infant.

Flag Post

Well unless the women was raped than she was asking for it, should a life be lost for fear of risponsibilty.i understand that women goes through extreme pian but if she was’nt raped and it was her chooce too have sex than it is her fault and if she did’nt want the baby than use a trojan. but if she was raped how much more emotional pian would she get from killing a innocent baby who did’nt do anything too her. while the man too blame is just behind bars.

Flag Post

Yes, the woman chose to have sex not to get pregnant. If I eat a piece of tainted meat do I deserve not to get medicine because I chose to eat it? I knew there was a chance to get sick but I still did it.

[note, I’m not pro-choice, i just hate the “Well she shouldn’t have sex” argument]

Flag Post

Well unless the women was raped than she was asking for it

Consent to sex is not irrevocable consent to pregnancy or childbirth.

should a life be lost for fear of risponsibilty

There is good reason to “fear” motherhood. It totally changes the course of a woman’s life.

if she was’nt raped and it was her chooce too have sex than it is her fault and if she did’nt want the baby than use a trojan

Birth control methods fail, and even if they don’t. Do you really think that someone so irresponsible as to forget to use them, or assume it would be fine with them, would be the best candidate for motherhood?

Regardless, as I said earlier, if she decides she does not want to carry the child to term, you would want to force her to? To essentially relegate her to being a breeding chamber against her will?

if she was raped how much more emotional pian would she get from killing a innocent baby who did’nt do anything too her

That depends on her. If she makes a free choice and regrets it later, that’s the nature of life. It would be a better fate than having no choice at all.

Flag Post

No one has the ethical or moral authority to make any person allow someone else to live off their bodies, whether via forced organ or blood donation or whatever. Pregnancy is no different in this regard.

Except in the fact that the mother implied consent to have a being live off of her for 9 months if needs be, by the very act of sex. The baby did not force itself upon the mother, the mother forced the baby upon herself. It’s almost like someone agreeing to be a blood donor X times, and, doing it twice or so, tells the recipient “Lol, this is an inconvenience. My bad!” and refuses to give any more blood, leaving the recipient to die.

However, if there is indeed as extreme case where it would threaten the lives of others, I believe abortion should be available.

Flag Post

“There is good reason to “fear” motherhood. It totally changes the course of a woman’s life.”

is this reason worth a life?

Flag Post

well then kill the rapist not the baby. the least the mother could do is put the baby up for adoption

And I’m sure a lot of women or girls would just love to be the incubator for a rapists child. I wonder how it would feel carrying a reminder of your violent violation for almost 10 months.

Flag Post

Jjuanksta, I fail to see why you should be the one who makes decisions about my body.

Flag Post

Except in the fact that the mother implied consent to have a being live off of her for 9 months if needs be, by the very act of sex.

I disagree completely.

No one has that in mind when they are in the act, unless they are a couple trying to have a baby.
In which case they won’t want an abortion anyway.

And even IF I accept your assertion, what makes their consent irrevocable?

It’s almost like someone agreeing to be a blood donor X times, and, doing it twice or so, tells the recipient “Lol, this is an inconvenience. My bad!” and refuses to give any more blood, leaving the recipient to die.

You can do just that. Although preferably without the “Lol, my bad” part.

Flag Post

No one has that in mind when they are in the act, unless they are a couple trying to have a baby. In which case they won’t want an abortion anyway.

Except that the sole function of sex is to reproduce. It is much like over-eating. Over-eating is an instinct to preserve food for the future. Although that person may not have that in mind when he is eating, it is nonetheless implied that all effects, natural or not, are accepted (unless, of course, there is poison in the food or something extreme like that.) It is almost like getting an STD. It is not “unfair” because that wasn’t their intent; rather, it is an implied side-effect. Everyone old enough to have sex knows that it is the human method of reproduction, so you can’t argue ignorance.

You can do just that. Although preferably without the “Lol, my bad” part.

Ok, let me rephrase. It is as if you are signing a legal contract to give an organ/blood. It is illegal to go off from plan, and I would find that unethical unless there is a very good reason to do otherwise (such as a health condition.)

Flag Post

No one has that in mind when they are in the act, unless they are a couple trying to have a baby. In which case they won’t want an abortion anyway.

I agree with mxmm – the percentage of people who legitimately don’t know the risks when having sex is very very low (well below the 50% accidental pregnancies).

Flag Post

Except that the sole function of sex is to reproduce.

Untrue. Biologically speaking it has social as well as reproductive functions. As evidence that it is not merely a “human choice” to have sex for fun, I present Bonobos who also engage in social sexual activities. Including rampant lesbianism.

Everyone old enough to have sex knows that it is the human method of reproduction, so you can’t argue ignorance.

They know that it can happen. That does not mean that they want it to, or that they gave irrevocable consent to pregnancy.

Ok, let me rephrase. It is as if you are signing a legal contract to give an organ/blood. It is illegal to go off from plan, and I would find that unethical unless there is a very good reason to do otherwise (such as a health condition.)

As far as I am aware such a contract would be non-binding. You could indeed refuse to complete it. Besides which, it is not analogous, you expressly give consent when you sign a contract.

Flag Post

Untrue. Biologically speaking it has social as well as reproductive functions. As evidence that it is not merely a “human choice” to have sex for fun, I present Bonobos who also engage in social sexual activities. Including rampant lesbianism.

But the only reason sex is here today is because of reproduction. It is indeed a great evolutionary advantage, so I can’t imagine it arising for any other reason. In short, it would not have become a social activity had it not first developed as a solely reproductive measure.

They know that it can happen. That does not mean that they want it to, or that they gave irrevocable consent to pregnancy.

I understand that I might get fatty liver if I rampantly drink alcohol. I also don’t want to get fatty liver, but the fact remains that fatty liver is most of the time an acknowledged and implied risk. That means it can’t be all of a sudden “unfair” when one gets ill because of alcohol.

As far as I am aware such a contract would be non-binding. You could indeed refuse to complete it. Besides which, it is not analogous, you expressly give consent when you sign a contract.

My point is that it would be legally binding, not whether it is actually in existence. In short, you are acknowledging and accepting that giving a being your resources for 9 months whenever you have sex, no matter for what reason.

Flag Post

“Jjuanksta, I fail to see why you should be the one who makes decisions about my body”
i dont make desions for your body u do (unless u are raped) what i am saying if you dont want the baby dont have the fun. why should some one die because you wanted to have some fun?

Flag Post

If you don’t want to be choked to death, don’t go outside.

If you don’t want food poisoning, don’t eat.

If you don’t want get hit by a meteorite, don’t go outside.

Flag Post

if you dont want a baby dont have sex(at least with out a trojan)