Money page 2

42 posts

Flag Post

Unless he has some talent or creativity of his own, he isn’t going to succeed at this. Clicking ads all day for $.50/hr. is not going to pay the bills at least for most people. If he wants to live a miserable life and never leave some run down apartment, maybe he could get away with it, but it is a pitiful existence. The unscrupulous people who spam those “OMG make $300/hr taking surveys” job ads actually can make a hell of a lot of money.

Poker actually isn’t risky if you have discipline. I started with $50 3 times and by the third time have now run that up into the thousands. The higher up you go, the more difficult it is to win consistently, but you can make a decent living at the lower limits. I play more for competition than a job because I have other ambitions, but when I do cashout, it is a nice bonus from something I do for fun. A fairly unskilled player, who just takes the time to read and understand a few books and play correctly can consistently earn $10-20+ per hour.

The concept of bankroll management seeks to minimize risk and the edge you have over all of the “fish” playing for fun makes poker unlike slots, roulette, or other games of chance. There are some simple, but incorrect, guidelines like: never use more than 3% of your bankroll for a tournament. The more advanced theory of bankroll management is an adaptation of Moore’s Law with a “comfort factor”. That factor combines your perceived edge in a certain game with your “risk of ruin”, i.e. factors like not being able to pay rent if you go broke as opposed to being able to redeposit if the chance fails enough times. I know from a decent sample of data that I win about 110% at small buy in levels, but as I go up, that profit % would shrink or even go negative because I am outmatched. Someone who is really good at multitasking might play 8-20+ tables at one time, but I can’t play well above like 4-6 and usually opt for 1/2. If he can just win consistently at lower limits, he can make as much as someone playing $500+ tournaments. It is time consuming, but anyone with discipline can do this. There is of course the yomi factor like in Kongai, but most of that you work into the mathematical understanding that points to the correct decision in each situation.

Flag Post

I cannot possibly imagine someone playing online Poker for a job – it gets old, and one eventually gets greedy and wastes his life.

For a bit of work, you could really get big bucks though. I know people who have gotten a degree and worked from home to earn upto 80 grand a year. All online. Do you have any degrees, certificates, anything?!

If not, then, well, go out and get a real job like everyone else.

Flag Post

PFB, are you implying that people getting jobs based on degrees don’t have real jobs, or was that just a slip of a toungue? Because I’d take semi-personal offense if it was the first one.

Flag Post

What? I don’t seee anywhere where I said that.

Flag Post

Milk, she said the opposite in fact >_>

Flag Post

You did by implication, actually. You said: if you have a degree, you can get a job working at home an make 80k a year. If not, you have to go out and get a real job. By implication, 80k a year from home with a degree is not a real job. I’m sure you didn’t mean it, but that’s what you accidentally said. ;)

Flag Post

I said if he doesn’t have any degrees, he will have to get a real job.

Like, instead of getting a slacker job by playing Poker online.

Flag Post

>Like, instead of getting a slacker job by playing Poker online.

A lot of people slack even harder at desk jobs. While somebody is on myspace or making paper clip animals, the poker player is watching a bunch of tables and calculating odds. I can see why you might say it is a slacker job, but why knock someone for being able to do it. A lot of people make good money working from home, but there are a lot of dead ends and pitfalls too. Also, you are totally wrong about every poker player inevitably going broke. If you just play for fun it will happen, but plenty of people have made a living from it and invested their profits to keep them even more secure.

Flag Post

Hmm I glad I decided to click on this topic, I checked out Chacha.com (which apparently I’m the only one that did because no one commented on it) and it looks really sweet. It seems as if they let nearly anyone become a guide and you get paid for whenever you are available to work. You aren’t an employee, so you can just get on whenever you have time and answer questions for a couple hours. It says you get paid $.20 for each question answered, and average pays are from $4-$10 an hour. Considering there is no schedule and you can do this as often or unoften as you like I think it’s really sweet. I’m going to start doing this on the side when I’m not working at my job to get some extra cashflow. You should really check out Chacha.com if all you do is sit on your computer all day you could make quite a bit of money from that. Or online poker, but depends on if you wanna play the risk.

Flag Post

If you are thinking about working for chacha.com, look at these discussions to sample some of the absurd questions you’ll get.

Flag Post

What’s wrong with a job like that? Sounds like fun

Flag Post

Chacha actually sounds like an excellent idea for the OP. It doesn’t make much, but if you’re good you can get over minimum wage doing nothing but sitting at your computer and playing on Google. Well done to whoever suggested it – I think that’s about perfect.

Flag Post

Well done to whoever suggested it – I think that’s about perfect.

You’re welcome :-)

Flag Post

your input is equal to your output (note: this is always true for everything) if your input equals 0, your output wil equal 0 as well (output would be money in this case, input would be the amount of effort)

Flag Post

if you have a half-decent webcam this is retardedly easy.

hope you don’t mind a referral link. they DO pay actual money as long as your video meets the standards (which isn’t too hard if you aren’t an idiot). also check out my videos. they don’t suck. :D (username dedbeet13 )

http://www.expotv.com/register/referred/191292b7d8fd4ea62644419dfb8672bed75fd

thats 10 bucks per 2 minute video (unless they changed the policy since last time i was on)

Flag Post

I did Chacha quite a while back, when it was still new. It seemed like a good idea. Honestly, if you could get searhes, it would be. The problem is that you’d sit there and not have a thing to do for over an hour.

Flag Post

Hey, nice sakket! That’s pretty awesome. If I sign up for this, I’ll use you as my referral. ;)